The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances: anxiety, depression?

I'm in my first year of Imperial and I am 60% sure that I have failed six of my exams, the sixth one marginally. There are ten elements in first year, 8 exams + two coursework components, of which you must pass five or more to progress to second year.
I have always struggled with anxiety and 'episodes' of depression for the last several years of my life, but have rather stupidly never seeked medical help.
Throughout the year I have been happy mostly; however, worrying about my grandpa's illness, coupled with anxiety throughout exams, leading me to have rashes on my wrists, I believe, have hindered my performance. I set myself an exam timetable for Easter and for each day I fell behind my schedule, the more anxious and panicked I became and the less productive I became. This was due to poor exam technique as well, as I concentrated on one topic at a time for far too long.
Now that I know that i have well and truly f***ed up, I cannot stop thinking about failure and feel a great deal of self-hatred, and am experiencing occasional suicidal thoughts.
Would mitigating circumstances be something worth putting in, or would the university not allow that? I know that I can do so much better in second year, and to have to be withdrawn from university would f*** my entire life up and make me lose everything I had.
It may be worth talking to your university about this as each are different - for instance would you want to resit the year?
Or if you just passed would you be happy?
I understand your struggle with uni as I have had difficulties coping with depression at uni, particularly after my mum got ill. Although there's so many people at uni it can feel very lonely.

Personally I haven't found my uni's mental health services to be of any help, but that might just be fine. 4 weeks for a counselling appointment isn't really great...
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my first year of Imperial and I am 60% sure that I have failed six of my exams, the sixth one marginally. There are ten elements in first year, 8 exams + two coursework components, of which you must pass five or more to progress to second year.
I have always struggled with anxiety and 'episodes' of depression for the last several years of my life, but have rather stupidly never seeked medical help.
Throughout the year I have been happy mostly; however, worrying about my grandpa's illness, coupled with anxiety throughout exams, leading me to have rashes on my wrists, I believe, have hindered my performance. I set myself an exam timetable for Easter and for each day I fell behind my schedule, the more anxious and panicked I became and the less productive I became. This was due to poor exam technique as well, as I concentrated on one topic at a time for far too long.
Now that I know that i have well and truly f***ed up, I cannot stop thinking about failure and feel a great deal of self-hatred, and am experiencing occasional suicidal thoughts.
Would mitigating circumstances be something worth putting in, or would the university not allow that? I know that I can do so much better in second year, and to have to be withdrawn from university would f*** my entire life up and make me lose everything I had.

At my old university, you had to apply for mitigating circumstances before the exams (or coursework deadline) so that they were aware of the situation when marking. It's worth checking your university's regulations.
See what your university rules are on it. But remember to see your GP, they could give some advice on your anxiety and get you a doctor's note, which will make your mitigating circumstances more likely to be accepted. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by llacerta
At my old university, you had to apply for mitigating circumstances before the exams (or coursework deadline) so that they were aware of the situation when marking. It's worth checking your university's regulations.

It's only been three days since I finished exams, so surely they wouldn't have started yet?
Original post by Iloveowls123
It may be worth talking to your university about this as each are different - for instance would you want to resit the year?
Or if you just passed would you be happy?
I understand your struggle with uni as I have had difficulties coping with depression at uni, particularly after my mum got ill. Although there's so many people at uni it can feel very lonely.

Personally I haven't found my uni's mental health services to be of any help, but that might just be fine. 4 weeks for a counselling appointment isn't really great...

I would be happy just passing this year, to be honest.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's only been three days since I finished exams, so surely they wouldn't have started yet?

The point is that you declare any problems before the exams so it's less likely that you're faking it (otherwise anyone who'd had a bad exam could then just be like "oh but I was unwell"). Not that you are faking it- but it's a policy I've heard of at most universities.
Reply 7
Original post by llacerta
The point is that you declare any problems before the exams so it's less likely that you're faking it (otherwise anyone who'd had a bad exam could then just be like "oh but I was unwell"). Not that you are faking it- but it's a policy I've heard of at most universities.

My Department allows me to submit a mitigating circumstances form up to five working days after the exams. I talked to the Liaison Officer and she asked me whether I wanted to submit a form. It's just a question of whether I could go to a GP to get them to write that I have been experiencing so and so symptoms for a long period of time.
My Department allows me to submit a mitigating circumstances form up to five working days after the exams. I talked to the Liaison Officer and she asked me whether I wanted to submit a form. It's just a question of whether I could go to a GP to get them to write that I have been experiencing so and so symptoms for a long period of time.

hi how did this end? i am at imperial worried about the same thing!

Quick Reply

Latest