The Student Room Group

Well done Ireland (on voting for gay marriage)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32856232

This is a significant step bearing in mind how religious Ireland is as a country.

Scroll to see replies

My country Roscommon and others in the midlands like Longford have decided no, but seeing as it has a high elderly/older voters its not a surprise

but the rest of the country has pretty much said yes
Reply 2
Original post by G8D
Will people now consider Northern Ireland the embarrassment of the British Isles?

No the other colony (India) is more embarrassing. Lets not jump to conclusions, the polls have been wrong (to put it mildly) before.
If it passes as it is expected to, I'm sure all those "no" voters will have a huge uphill struggle to deal with all the massive changes this won't bring to their lives.
Proud to be Irish today. Now to kick the dinosaurs out of Stormont so the North gets it too. :biggrin:
As someone who has half of thier family in Ireland and has visited Ireland many times I must admit I am very shocked at this outcome. Only 35% of Irish said that the Catholic Church played a big influence on their decision regarding what to vote in this referendum. That's AMAZING news. Very happy for Ireland. I wonder how long it will be until the abortion laws will be liberalised?

To think it was illegal to be homosexual in Ireland until 1993 and illegal to get a divorce until 1995!
Disappointing news. Shame on ireland.
Should never have been allowed to happen
Original post by TorpidPhil
As someone who has half of thier family in Ireland and has visited Ireland many times I must admit I am very shocked at this outcome. Only 35% of Irish said that the Catholic Church played a big influence on their decision regarding what to vote in this referendum. That's AMAZING news. Very happy for Ireland. I wonder how long it will be until the abortion laws will be liberalised?

To think it was illegal to be homosexual in Ireland until 1993 and illegal to get a divorce until 1995!

The divorce laws are not as easy as in other places of the world though.

As for abortion, the irish people said no to it. Maybe in the future we can legalise it. Until then people will do as they always have done, hop across the water and have it done on the NHS
:nyan::nyan::nyan:

Great news!
Original post by bittr n swt
Disappointing news. Shame on ireland.

Original post by matthewduncan

Why? Or are you just going to make blanket statements?
Original post by Lady Comstock
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32856232

This is a significant step bearing in mind how religious Ireland is as a country.

Next step, a grown up debate about abortion.
Original post by matthewduncan

You sound as bitter as an SNP supporter when you say that.

Democracy in action.
Reply 14
Original post by al_94
I'm not surprised the gay agenda will try to take the whole world but that will not happen because the people in Africa & Asia will not allow them!

Don't you have anything better to do other than being scornful and wanting to make others suffer?
Original post by al_94
I'm not surprised the gay agenda will try to take the whole world but that will not happen because the people in Africa & Asia will not allow them!

What is 'the gay agenda'?
Original post by TurboCretin
What is 'the gay agenda'?

1 Apologies for Absence
2 Minutes of the Last Meeting
3 Joint function with the Masonic-Jewish conspiracy
4 Any other business
Reply 17
Original post by nulli tertius
1 Apologies for Absence
2 Minutes of the Last Meeting
3 Joint function with the Masonic-Jewish conspiracy
4 Any other business

The gay agenda is the effeminate conversion of masculine men as laid out in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, Israel is the Antichrist that is lobbying for gay agenda to subvert us and make us ignorant so that Jewish finance capital may control us.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Why? Or are you just going to make blanket statements?

USA is the best country in the world- oh look another blanket statement. shock horror...
Reply 19
Original post by *Stefan*
Don't you have anything better to do other than being scornful and wanting to make others suffer?

I'm not trying to do that I'm just saying what I believe to be true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending