The Student Room Group

do you have to be naturally smart to get an A* for a-level maths and further

i've heard you can do all the revision you want, but if you don't have the natural ability, you won't get above an A , is this true? If so, i will be very sad, i'm currently in year 10 and i revise everyday for maths, maths is my baby. But i know i would not have got an A* in my mock without revision because i have no natural ability. My brother who took maths for a-level even told me, you have to have an innate ability at maths to get above an A( he got an A)
Reply 1
Utter horsesh*t. Put in the time and understand everything and you'll be fine. Notice that it's understanding and not memorising. I ballsed my GCSE maths and got a B, my school does not allow students who had a grade below an A to take a level mathematics. I retook and got an A* and studied maths half way through the year. I spent a lot, and I mean a lot of time going through past papers etc. And eventually became one of the best at maths in my class. A level maths is tricky, but don't give up on something if you truely have an interest in it.
Original post by shwansalah
i've heard you can do all the revision you want, but if you don't have the natural ability, you won't get above an A , is this true? If so, i will be very sad, i'm currently in year 10 and i revise everyday for maths, maths is my baby. But i know i would not have got an A* in my mock without revision because i have no natural ability. My brother who took maths for a-level even told me, you have to have an innate ability at maths to get above an A( he got an A)

I'm doing maths and further maths
And I don't have a 'natural' ability.
I guess you kinda have to be better than average at problem solving and understanding stuff
But if you have the motivation to work at it, and you aren't completely dumb, then you can definitely get A*

For A-levels, its a bit different, because you also have to have a 'talent,' to not make silly mistakes as the grade boundaries are so high

You can study your arse off and get an A* at A level in my opinion as long as you have some intelligence. It's only at degree level maths when natural ability really makes a difference in what grade you can get in my opinion.
nope. Alevel maths and further maths are too easy for natural ability to matter such that hard work cant make up for it
Reply 5
Original post by TheIrrational
You can study your arse off and get an A* at A level in my opinion as long as you have some intelligence. It's only at degree level maths when natural ability really makes a difference in what grade you can get in my opinion.

Agreed.
Reply 6
ok well i want to take it for a degree level too though -.-, how much difference will it make at a degree level
Reply 7

A LOT of people doing Maths and Further Maths are naturally clever nor achieved all A. It all comes down to how mych practice you do.

I for example, achieved a grade B at GCSE and I'm on track on achieving As in both subject. all I've done (and still doing) is answering a lot of questions and past papers (including from other exam boards).

Quick Reply

Latest