The Student Room Group

Parents think I'm attention seeking because I have self harming problems

I'm doing AS levels, I'm a British Asian teenager and for the past 4 years I've been self harming. My parents found out a few months ago that I was a self harmer and their reaction wasn't supportive at all. I got called attention seeking, selfish and manipulative when all I was doing was trying to find ways to cope with my family life. I gave them the impression that I had stopped self harming when I had actually starting hurting myself on my thighs. However the other day, I got triggered and I hurt my leg. My mum noticed and she asked me if I had started self harming again and I just said I had got the scars (which were faint) because of shaving my legs. She told my dad and my dad began to call me attention seeking and that if he found out I was self harming again, he would kick me out of the house. I've never got on with both of my parents at all and because they're so strict and I'm not allowed to do anything, I can't get professional help to deal with my problem. I'm hoping that I can leave home next year for uni but I honestly don't know what to do in the mean time. My self esteem is rock bottom (my parents call me the fat and ugly child out of the siblings) and I get triggered all the time.

I don't know what to do
How old are you OP?
Reply 2
Original post by Little Popcorns
How old are you OP?

17. I could move out but I have no family to fall back on
Reply 3
Original post by WillNegForReps
Listen to your parents.

No.

OP, so sorry to hear it sounds awful :frown:. Seeing as your parents aren't supportive - btw, as difficult as it may be, try and ignore their comments as much as possible - do you have any close friends you could talk to about it? Even a teacher at school? Also have you considered any "alternatives"? I remember seeing this once.... (Big spoiler coming)

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
17. I could move out but I have no family to fall back on
Are you receiving any treatment for your self harm? Or have you only told your family not any doctors or anything?
Reply 5
Are you receiving any treatment for your self harm? Or have you only told your family not any doctors or anything?

I mentioned in my post I can't get treatment because my parents would find out
Original post by Anonymous
I mentioned in my post I can't get treatment because my parents would find out
They don't need to find out, you can ask your GP to only send appointments and other info to your phone and/or email. Give them a call after school or when noones about and then once that's sorted call for an appointment or an over the phone consultation, ask them to put you on a waiting list for mental health help/therapy.
At your age your parents wouldnt have a right to see your medical records. I would speak to someone you trust about getting out of your parents house as its not a healthy environment for you. You could go see your school nurse if they have one ?
I had the same problem with my friends for a while they only called me attention seeking, after i had told them the reasons for my depression and explained my reasons for self-harm they became less accusatory and more supportive. My friends did this because they felt they had been bad friends and to remove the guilt from themselves, furthermore because they love you they would naturally feel guilty for you hurting yourself so many unintentionally take it out on you. My suggestion would be to sit down and explain your story to them, if they carry on like this afterwards then maybe moving out could be considered.
They don't need to find out, you can ask your GP to only send appointments and other info to your phone and/or email. Give them a call after school or when noones about and then once that's sorted call for an appointment or an over the phone consultation, ask them to put you on a waiting list for mental health help/therapy.

Yeah, I'm sure if you explain your concerns to your GP they'll work with you so that your parents don't find out.

Quick Reply

Latest