The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Living at home, Oxford Brooks

Hey,

I'm thinking of living at home and commuting to uni every day, Oxford Brooks which will be about a 40 minute drive. Would anyone who currently drives to/from uni be able to advise me whether this is sensible of if it would be better to live in halls?

Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi
I have apply to brookes for this year and was thinking about living at home but decided agin at it when I realised it would take me over an hour on the bus. Also that I could have to be their by 8 am but not finish till 7pm with a big gap in the day. Also Spoke to a current student on an open day that does the same Journey as me up until Christmas of the first years and said it was very trying and she missed out on a bit of the social life so moved into halls.
It is cheap to leave at home and you might find it better for you
You could apply for halls and turn them down so could make your decisions near the time as the staff said it is harder to get halls latter on near result day.

But remember it is your decision not mine
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
To be honest, I think you'll be missing out on a lot if you decide to commute. I don't know if you live with your parents, but if you are then it'll be good to get away from them and get to be a bit more independent. I lived away from home for two years before moving in again to save money, and it was ****ing great to just don't have parents hovering over my shoulders or commenting on all of my choices when I lived away from home. It's different when you stay in halls, because you're equal to the other people in there. If someone does an annoying thing, you can go "look mate, this is not cool". But commenting on your parents bad habits? Well, in my house that's suicide. If you want to save money, commuting to uni is probably cheaper, but I think you'll miss out on the social life and the experience you get from living with "strangers" :smile:
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks for both your responses - I'm not very good with changes and changing from sixth form to uni is freaking me out, let alone having to live somewhere else with people I don't know which is why I'm so keep to drive even though it's 40 minutes each way. Mum wants me to live in halls though and just come home at weekends, but then I'm paying for the room and petrol

Which is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Idcatgirl
Hi,

Thanks for both your responses - I'm not very good with changes and changing from sixth form to uni is freaking me out, let alone having to live somewhere else with people I don't know which is why I'm so keep to drive even though it's 40 minutes each way. Mum wants me to live in halls though and just come home at weekends, but then I'm paying for the room and petrol

Which is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, your mum knows you pretty well, and if she suggests that you live in halls and just come home at weekends, then I think that's wise. One day you'll have to live independently, and halls are a great way to get experience without it being too tough. Changes are scary and difficult, but necessary for you to evolve as a person. It's a bit awkward at first, but keep in mind that for most of us, it's first time going to university and living on our own. I can't guarantee that you'll get lots of friends and get along with everyone, but if you don't try then you'll never succeed. For me it's super scary, because I'm not only going to uni for the first time, but I'm from a foreign country as well. I think you'll do fine if you try! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Idcatgirl
Hi,

Which is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was in a similar situation as I am defently not a social person and was and still am freaking out about doing to uni let alone living in. My parents said I should live it and I said defiantly not as I did not mind missing out on the social aspect but when I looked at the accommodation it didn't look as bad as I thought as looked quite nice. Like I already said I also looked at the travel times.
At brookes you are not allowed to own a car and live at their accommodation so this is something to think about.
But don't forget it is your design to make no one else's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by gogirls
I was in a similar situation as I am defently not a social person and was and still am freaking out about doing to uni let alone living in. My parents said I should live it and I said defiantly not as I did not mind missing out on the social aspect but when I looked at the accommodation it didn't look as bad as I thought as looked quite nice. Like I already said I also looked at the travel times.
At brookes you are not allowed to own a car and live at their accommodation so this is something to think about.
But don't forget it is your design to make no one else's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm the same, I'm going to uni to learn not to socialize as such but mum says you have to live in halls at uni to experience the full uni life... But I don't know if I want 'the full uni life' if I'm going to become upset and very unsettled cause of the changes - I don't think mum realises how much I am freaking out though

Yeah the no cars is going to be a problem if I want to come home often so, but I don't know if there is an on site car park if you drive in?

Are you starting this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi I am starting this year. Be nice to meet you. I am studying early childhood degree.
Their is a car park at harcourt hill the campus I will be at but don't know about the others but their should be. This is for student that don't live on campus and staff.
Have you talk to the accommodation people at brooks because they could ask your question as they really helped me. They said if you apply for accommodation you can turn all your choices down but it is hardened to get accommodation latter. This is why I have applied and I will decide later. Unknown to my parent how think am defiantly living in.
On the other hand you could travel and if that doesn't work as for accommodation latter. So it doesn't matter what choice you if you don't like it you have options so do what you think best for you as you know yourself better than anyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I was freaking out like that when I was moving to Uni for undergrad studies few years back, and since I was not from the UK I had no other choice but live in the halls and was putted in the worst ones my uni campus had...
First few weeks were quite ok, it was interesting and fun to experience all that true uni life, party all the time, drink all the time and etc, but after a month or so I got really bored with that. Others just wouldn't stop... And I actually went to uni to study so the constant noise from the kitchen and hallway (I lived right next to the kitchen and in my halls 24 people shared two kitchens but most of the time they all used that one next to my room) and before Christmas I moved out, I couldn't stand it any longer, coming to the bathroom (of course shared - for the whole floor (24 people) if I remember right 6 showers and 6 toilets) to see that one of the toilets has puke all over it, find broken kitchen door glass all over the kitchen floor, or flour all over the kitchen floor because hey it's fun to have a flour fight in the middle of the night (the halls were cleaned, but understandably the cleaner used to refuse to clean such things), others constantly stealing my food from the fridge, sink was always always alwaaays filled with dirty dishes... In the beginning I really thought it was going to be really fun living in halls with other students, have dinners together, plan parties, go out drinking and etc, but I also wanted to learn while all others obviously didn't care about that at all and drinking with loud music on (and terrible one too) took places on random nights, so it was impossible for me to sleep, study or live a normal life there...
So I moved out, around Christmas time but had to pay for the room till the end of the first year...
But of course, all that was not at Brookes but at other Uni, but still, if you're not interested in experiencing the whole uni life uni halls might not be for you. Though, usually most of the unis have a selection of very different halls available, so read very carefully about each of them and what sorts of people usually live in them. Usually, the more expensive ones are a bit calmer...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by gogirls
Hi I am starting this year. Be nice to meet you. I am studying early childhood degree.
Their is a car park at harcourt hill the campus I will be at but don't know about the others but their should be. This is for student that don't live on campus and staff.
Have you talk to the accommodation people at brooks because they could ask your question as they really helped me. They said if you apply for accommodation you can turn all your choices down but it is hardened to get accommodation latter. This is why I have applied and I will decide later. Unknown to my parent how think am defiantly living in.
On the other hand you could travel and if that doesn't work as for accommodation latter. So it doesn't matter what choice you if you don't like it you have options so do what you think best for you as you know yourself better than anyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I am actually starting next year, hoping to do teacher training for 3 years but I like to be organised and know what I'm doing in advance. I've got the open day on Saturday though, what questions do you think I should ask, I was going to ask about the car park but you've answered it for me!!
Parents know I want to live at home, but not quite how much I want to live at home!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
The open days are great so enjoy it. Go and look around the accommodation it is really nice and see the accommodation staff and ask lots of question. This so you know all the options you have available. Even if you are not thinking of living in find out about the accommodation and how it works to apply. As like me you could chance you ideas between know and when you started. Maybe write some question down before you go so you find out all you want to know.
If you need anything else just let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending