The Student Room Group

GCSE Biology Unit 1 Paper 2015 ( Friday 5th June)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jacko1222
Yeah, maybe...

Spoiler

Wish you luck.
Ditto.
I may just need it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Would anyone like to revise on Skype with me and I could make a group chat?
Username: iihaza
Reply 43
what topics are the most likely to only be touched on/ left out?
Reply 44
Original post by ollieur
what topics are the most likely to only be touched on/ left out?

Definitely can confirm Auxin will be in there somewhere
Finally found a thread for this! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gunjo
Would anyone like to revise on Skype with me and I could make a group chat?
Username: iihaza

Do u have a house phone number for me to call to revise ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Decklan
Strongly believe auxins will come up, which hasn't last year.

How would I be able to talk about auxins in the exam if it does come up ? , what it does to plants and where it grows ?

I don't understand it much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by omaymah1678
How would I be able to talk about auxins in the exam if it does come up ? , what it does to plants and where it grows ?

I don't understand it much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers, use their mark scheme to see how to answer the auxin questions.
Reply 49
Do u have a house phone number for me to call to revise ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not giving you my house number...Just add me on Skype (iihaza)
what topics are you guys mainly expecting? need to do really well in this to boost up my grade :frown:
Original post by Gunjo
I am not giving you my house number...Just add me on Skype (iihaza)

Okay I will call u on skype in a it to revise , just make sure your online when I call :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Okay I will call u on skype in a it to revise , just make sure your online when I call :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I'm ready now whenever you want to call me :smile:
Also, good luck revising everyone else
Original post by Decklan
What came up in 2014:

-Energy and biomass in food chains.
-Adaptations.
-Decaying process.
-Drugs/immune system I.e antibodies.
-The nervous system.
-Evolution and lamarck's theory.
-Cloning.

Predictions for 2015 according to knowing that.

-Menstrual cycle.
-Carbon cycle.
-Diet.
-Genetic variations.
-Environmental change.
-Control in plants.

Possible six marker on drug testing?

Anyways you're welcome.

Basically topics similar to the June 2013 paper then?
Reply 54
Does anybody know where i can find the 2014 actual past paper? All i can find is the mark scheme. Thats all there is on CCEA..
I have so far collated a bit of information about everything regarding certain threads I have seen:

Tissue Culture is when you take a few cells from the stem, leaf or root and you put it in a nutrient jelly (agar jelly) which contains the right minerals for it to grow. When it grows roots, you transport the miniature plant to separate pots that contains soil. The plants grow to be clones of the adult plant. This process allows us to grow millions of plants from one adult plant. However, it is expensive and complicated as it needs to be aseptic (sterilised conditions).

Decay is the process that returns all the nutrients an organism had taken up during its lifetime back into the environment.the decay process is started off by detritus feeders (such as certain types of worms) which eat the dead animal / plant and produce waste products.Then, decay organisms (bacteria and fungi) break down the waste / dead animals or plants. These decay organisms are also known as decomposers and decay occurs faster if it is warm and moist, whilst many decomposers also need oxygen.

Lichens:-> Senstive to SO2-> Wider range of lichens = cleaner airFreshwater invertebrae:-> Levels of dissolved O2-> Greater range of invertebrae cleaner the water (however some are only found in polluted waters)

Progesterone - Inhibits release of FSH and LH and maintains the thickness of the uterus lining and produced in the ovaries (folicle)As for their roles1. FSH - causes eggs to mature and oestrogen to be produced2. Oestrogen - Inhibits release of FSH and stimulates release of LH and causes uterus lining to thicken3. LH - Cause release of mature egg (ovulation)I think...

Menstrual cycle - or maybe contraception
Carbon cycle
Diet ✔- (metabolic rate / slimming programs)
Distribution of animals
Cuttings vs tissue culture for 6 marks
Then defense mechanisms or preventing microbes from getting into the body?
Homeostasis?
Advantages and disadvantages of drugs?
Original post by FAlaa123
Tissue Culture is when you take a few cells from the stem, leaf or root and you put it in a nutrient jelly (agar jelly) which contains the right minerals for it to grow. When it grows roots, you transport the miniature plant to separate pots that contains soil. The plants grow to be clones of the adult plant. This process allows us to grow millions of plants from one adult plant. However, it is expensive and complicated as it needs to be aseptic (sterilised conditions).

Hope I helped

Thank you!!
Original post by AGI1998
Does anybody know where i can find the 2014 actual past paper? All i can find is the mark scheme. Thats all there is on CCEA..

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/biology-4401/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
Original post by AGI1998

It's on the aqa website

Posted from TSR Mobile
What will be asked on the menstrual cycle? Hormones involved (fsh - ripens egg, pituitary, oestrogen, inhibits fsh stimulates lh production, ovaries, lh triggers egg release, pituitary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending