The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History B - Crime and Punishment - Mon 1st June 2015

Who's looking forward to/dreading this exam?

Do you have any tips for the exam/revision?

Personally I've been dreading this exam for months, and the fact it's just over a week away makes me sick. The whole module feels really disjointed and doesn't really flow - it's also really boring as well!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I completely agree! This is the one exam which I have been dreading, as I feel like this it makes it really difficult to want to revise for it which is annoying. I would suggest just answering exam questions and just getting a feel for the timings as I never have time to finish the 16 mark question at the end! My teacher suggested to me to do the 16 mark question first and then work my way backwards through the paper, hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by amiee123
I completely agree! This is the one exam which I have been dreading, as I feel like this it makes it really difficult to want to revise for it which is annoying. I would suggest just answering exam questions and just getting a feel for the timings as I never have time to finish the 16 mark question at the end! My teacher suggested to me to do the 16 mark question first and then work my way backwards through the paper, hope this helps :smile:

Thanks!

My teacher suggested to start with the easiest looking question to build confidence and then tackle the worst question (probably the 16 marker).
Reply 3
Thats a better idea, might have to try that! Last years past paper is online if you wanted to have a look, heres the link:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History%20B/2009/Exam%20materials/Question-paper-Unit-1-Option-1B-June-2014.pdf

Reply 4
Original post by amiee123
Thats a better idea, might have to try that! Last years past paper is online if you wanted to have a look, heres the link:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History%20B/2009/Exam%20materials/Question-paper-Unit-1-Option-1B-June-2014.pdf

I'm saving that until the day before! Thanks anyway! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Because I got an E In my controlled assessment, if in my exams I got 3 A* what would be my overall grade for history?
Reply 6
Original post by sadteen
Because I got an E In my controlled assessment, if in my exams I got 3 A* what would be my overall grade for history?

If you get 3 solid A*s, probably an A (but only just!).

I like you username btw, it reflects me when I revise crime and punishment.
Is rembering dates a very important aspect of this topic?
Reply 8
Original post by alex15205
Is rembering dates a very important aspect of this topic?

VERY VERY important haha
Hey guys, has anyone of you tried using ResultsPlus Revision guides which has CD ROM inside it?

Well, I have and I have tried installing it and it is inside my computer but I cannot open it. Any ideas on how to find it?:frown::s-smilie:
Reply 10
Currently making notes on everything and it is so dull and I'm getting so distracted! I'm full of even more fear for this exam than ever before! D:
Can someone explain the difference between the Roman law and the Anglo Saxon law? The book says the Anglo Saxon law was more localised than a Roman law. What exactly does that mean?
Reply 12
Original post by alex15205
Can someone explain the difference between the Roman law and the Anglo Saxon law? The book says the Anglo Saxon law was more localised than a Roman law. What exactly does that mean?

The Roman Empire had a centralised legal system, whereas the Anglo Saxons had different legal systems in difference parts of the country. The reason (I think) for this is because they seized power by force and so were not wanted by England, so to keep law and order - they had local legal systems as it was easier to maintain law and order locally than through a central office.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot!
Reply 14
Can anyone explain how to properly structure the 16 mark question?

That's my main worry.
Reply 15
Original post by swzs313

That's my main worry.

Brief Intro
Point 1 - PEED (main point)
Point 2 - PEED
Point 3 - PEED
Conclusion

This is the structure I've always been taught.
Reply 16
Original post by swzs313

That's my main worry.

not sure, but if this is wafaa, hi it's Reem☺️ If it was a continuity/change question you would do 2 PEE's for continuity, and 2 PEE's for change. Then you HAVE to do a conclusion for 16/16.
Reply 17
Original post by reeme
not sure, but if this is wafaa, hi it's Reem☺️ If it was a continuity/change question you would do 2 PEE's for continuity, and 2 PEE's for change. Then you HAVE to do a conclusion for 16/16.

Lol yeah it is :wink: okay thank you :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by jamestg
Brief Intro
Point 1 - PEED (main point)
Point 2 - PEED
Point 3 - PEED
Conclusion

This is the structure I've always been taught.

Thanks :smile: I'd go straight into the first paragraph without writing an introduction, just because of timing, but whatever works best for you :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by swzs313
Thanks :smile: I'd go straight into the first paragraph without writing an introduction, just because of timing, but whatever works best for you :wink:

The danger of not even writing a sentence for an introduction for the 16 marker is that you read the question and approach it from a perspective which is either not relevant or becomes off topic.

By writing just a sentence, virtually re writing the question and outlining the points will put you in a more focused frame of mind and will automatically show the examiner you have understood the question and have picked out relevant points to be discussed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending