The Student Room Group

Non-fault Car accident - do i need to tell insurers?

During my driving test, a car rear ended me while I was stationary at a roundabout.
I am claiming for injuries and loss of earnings etc.

But I have since done another test and passed and want to get insured on my mum's car.
Do I need to tell insurers about this? Even though it was non-fault, not my car, and i was on my driving test.
If you made a claim (even if it is non-fault), you have to declare it (and expect your premium to rise as a result of it).
Reply 2
You are supposed to tell the insurance company's everything regardless of fault and whether you make a claim or not.

How else would they be able to hold every little thing over you to boost up your premium.
Reply 3
Original post by rmhumphries
If you made a claim (even if it is non-fault), you have to declare it (and expect your premium to rise as a result of it).

So if I didn't make a claim for it, I wouldnt have to tell them?

Sorry new to this, trying to understand haha
Original post by Chenice
So if I didn't make a claim for it, I wouldnt have to tell them?

Sorry new to this, trying to understand haha

You should. But upto you.
I think it'd be worth asking the insurer; if you just made a personal injury claim as a driving test participant and were uninvolved with the motor claim, are you legally distinguishable from someone making a personal injury claim as, say, a passenger or bystander (which I'm not sure all insurers ask you to declare).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rmhumphries

I agree that you have to tell them about it.
Your premium doesnt have to go up as a result of it though. My dad is proof of that.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree that you have to tell them about it.
Your premium doesnt have to go up as a result of it though. My dad is proof of that.

It will most certainly will go up. If you haven't made a claim yet just don't tell them it will save you a lot of hassle later on.
Original post by The Jargen
It will most certainly will go up. If you haven't made a claim yet just don't tell them it will save you a lot of hassle later on.

Erm...well not necessarily it wont.
My dad went to renew his insurance, told them about a non fault accident (the 3rd party was at fault, my parents claimed on the 3rd partys insurance etc) and although they tried it on and tried to put the price up as a result of this (you know what insurance companies are like), when my dad questioned this and said he wouldnt pay it and threatened to go elsewhere, they soon dropped it and didnt charge him the extra.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
My dad went to renew his insurance, told them about a non fault accident (the 3rd party was at fault, my parents claimed on the 3rd partys insurance etc) and although they tried it on and tried to put the price up as a result of this (you know what insurance companies are like), when my dad questioned this and said he wouldnt pay it and threatened to go elsewhere, they soon dropped it and didnt charge him the extra.

I've literally called around everywhere to get insured on my mums car, and the cheapest i've found is £2500, and this is just to go on my mum's car? My friend has just passed her test and got insured on her mum's car and it cost £600 and we have similar cars, same engine size etc, this just doesnt seem fair :frown:
Reply 10

Also if they ask how much I claimed do I just tell them the injury part? Or the whole claim (loss of earnings, etc)
Original post by Chenice
Also if they ask how much I claimed do I just tell them the injury part? Or the whole claim (loss of earnings, etc)

Id tell them the whole amount. But id clarify with them to double check.

It doesn't matter who's at fault it's called a no claim's discount, regardless of who is at fault it will remain on record for a minimum of three years. Your dad is over 25 years of age so it will have a minimal effect on his insurance. For a young driver it's catastrophic, as I said op forget about telling the insurance company.

Quick Reply

Latest