The Student Room Group

How to dump friends and start a new group?

Theres 9 'friends' I have in my main circle + me. *4 girls and 6 boys*
I only actually like 2/10, a guy and a girl.
The rest are just worthless to me.

One of the boys in particular is the cockiest pr*ck I've ever known and I despise him. Hes one of main reasons I want to get out of this group. I have no issues with the others but, not to be an ass or anything, the boys are too childish for me, I cant relate or actually speak to anyone since they're so f*cking dumb. The girls have grown too and turned out to be 'easy'. I feel like I dont belong here anymore.

The problem with dumping them is that Ive been friends with them since Year 3, I left school near the end of Yr 6 to live in another country and Ive come back in Yr 10 and 11. We're starting college after summer.
We all live 5 minutes away from each other, in the same small village. It'd be awkward to see them after I have finished with them.
I think we're all aware that Im splitting away from everyone as I never go out with them anymore or speak to them b/c of said reason in the first paragraph.

BUT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is that I have no clue how to make new friends. How would I go into college next year and start a new circle of friends? I'm a bad conversationalist but I'm definitely not shy
Reply 1
Wow. Try saying that on their face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by pagorai
Wow. Try saying that on their face.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They wouldn't care
Try extra-curricular activities and sports clubs you will inevitably make friends
If you really hated them so much you would have cut all contact long before ranting on TSR about it
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
If you really hated them so much you would have cut all contact long before ranting on TSR about it

Well I did have a question at the end if you didn't see
Ummm... nicely?

Seriously, just start talking to other people in class/ societies - you can always pass it off to your friends as "asking for revision help" or something, then just start hanging out with them more and see if you get on well with them. No big deal.

It will be particularly easy to make new groups of friends at college, loads of people will not have any friends at all, and your current friends will probably be doing different subjects to you (so you'll see them less in class, and may be the other side of college from each other which is a good excuse not to treck all the way across to see them each lunchtime). :smile:
Are you all going to the same college?
And how large is the college?
The place I'm in is 1000 people each year (2000 in total) I'm just finishing the second year, and I'm not remotely friends/don't talk to any of the friends I had at secondary school. Tbh the friendship group has just properly formed recently
There's not exactly a 'way' to do it.. and you definitely can't force your way into a tight knit friendship group, because it'll annoy/unsettle some people.
The way I did it, was (all the people I was friends with in secondary school were not nice, boring and I just didn't click with any of them) (all girls) right at the end of the year I made friends/rekindled an old friendship with this girl I was friends with at the start of secondary school and these other girls in my english classes (who were friends with the girl I was friends with a while back), in turn I became closer friends with a few girls that I got along with much better.. so I started talking to them more in lessons and hanging out with them at lunch but this was in the last few weeks of secondary school.
College ended and I stayed in contact with 2 of them (went to parties met up with them over summer) and from this - you make friends with SO many more people.. you meet people at parties, get along with them, they invite you to more parties and you start meeting a whole new group of people.. and you'll start to see the same people at regular parties. And this forms a small group. Some of these people might go to the college you're going to in the area.
So in my opinion keep in contact with the two that you like - stay close with them, because eventually they'll meet new people and you can meet these people too, go to parties with them etc. Once you start college, you can start hanging around with those people at parties, and eventually meet their friends, and those friends etc, and a proper friendship group will form.. whether this includes our older friends or not I don't know, but you don't have to continue being close with them even if it does, because there will be other personalities and people you can get to know and get along with
Reply 8
Original post by Heffalump .
Are you all going to the same college?
And how large is the college?
The place I'm in is 1000 people each year (2000 in total) I'm just finishing the second year, and I'm not remotely friends/don't talk to any of the friends I had at secondary school. Tbh the friendship group has just properly formed recently
There's not exactly a 'way' to do it.. and you definitely can't force your way into a tight knit friendship group, because it'll annoy/unsettle some people.
The way I did it, was (all the people I was friends with in secondary school were not nice, boring and I just didn't click with any of them) (all girls) right at the end of the year I made friends/rekindled an old friendship with this girl I was friends with at the start of secondary school and these other girls in my english classes (who were friends with the girl I was friends with a while back), in turn I became closer friends with a few girls that I got along with much better.. so I started talking to them more in lessons and hanging out with them at lunch but this was in the last few weeks of secondary school.
College ended and I stayed in contact with 2 of them (went to parties met up with them over summer) and from this - you make friends with SO many more people.. you meet people at parties, get along with them, they invite you to more parties and you start meeting a whole new group of people.. and you'll start to see the same people at regular parties. And this forms a small group. Some of these people might go to the college you're going to in the area.
So in my opinion keep in contact with the two that you like - stay close with them, because eventually they'll meet new people and you can meet these people too, go to parties with them etc. Once you start college, you can start hanging around with those people at parties, and eventually meet their friends, and those friends etc, and a proper friendship group will form.. whether this includes our older friends or not I don't know, but you don't have to continue being close with them even if it does, because there will be other personalities and people you can get to know and get along with

Its quite big, probably more than 2k students but I'm not sure. And yeah we're going to the same place.
Thanks for this! Its given me more ideas:smile: Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest