The Student Room Group

Is A Level maths what everyone claims?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingdomOfTheLord
aw b, I'm doing AS not A2 (I think f324 is A2?) ikr, I bet you've already decided everything :smile:

Looooool, nah what makes you say that?
White boy?

At least you got ahead of the new system in place I suppose. You'd think so.

Yes the unit 1 a2 module.

Lots of aspirational dentists in my class are asian :d

Something like that xD
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
At least you got ahead of the new system in place I suppose. You'd think so.

Yes the unit 1 a2 module.

Lots of aspirational dentists in my class are asian :d

Something like that xD

Oh whatever that's a stereotype lol.
Lol you are sooo a white boyyyyyy
People take forever to guess where I'm from, I hope I don't have one of those "ambiguous ethnicities" lol
I did AS Maths and the actual concepts aren't actually that difficult but the main issue is the amount of time you had to practice that makes the difference. I actually got an A in GCSE Maths but it made no difference. The issue with A Level maths is that you cannot learn just how to do the questions on the exam paper (Like GCSE), you need to grasp a complete understanding in how to do the question (Like all other A levels if I'm honest)

In the end, I felt that other A levels were more important than Maths (I want to study Chemistry at Uni, so obviously Chemistry is more important) and dropped AS Maths but took on AS Core Maths instead which works on financial maths, maths used in Sciences like Physics and Chemistry. It's no where near as valued as proper AS maths but it gives me maths I can use everyday. Go figure. If you're unsure, I would take it for a month or so, if you like it great and if you don't, don't worry and pick another A level suited for you.
Original post by KingdomOfTheLord
Oh whatever that's a stereotype lol.
Lol you are sooo a white boyyyyyy
People take forever to guess where I'm from, I hope I don't have one of those "ambiguous ethnicities" lol

Swedish <3

Hmmn Norwegian?

Original post by kevinchan1
I did AS Maths and the actual concepts aren't actually that difficult but the main issue is the amount of time you had to practice that makes the difference. I actually got an A in GCSE Maths but it made no difference. The issue with A Level maths is that you cannot learn just how to do the questions on the exam paper (Like GCSE), you need to grasp a complete understanding in how to do the question (Like all other A levels if I'm honest)

In the end, I felt that other A levels were more important than Maths (I want to study Chemistry at Uni, so obviously Chemistry is more important) and dropped AS Maths but took on AS Core Maths instead which works on financial maths, maths used in Sciences like Physics and Chemistry. It's no where near as valued as proper AS maths but it gives me maths I can use everyday. Go figure. If you're unsure, I would take it for a month or so, if you like it great and if you don't, don't worry and pick another A level suited for you.

Interesting outlook, kevin tran?
Original post by damien_dalgaard
swedish <3

hmmn norwegian?

Interesting outlook, kevin tran?

ehehehehehehehehe norwegian
Original post by fandom-queen
Thanks for the advice. Currently, I feel exactly like your username (which is amazing, by the way)

hah, just go for it.
If you spend a little time understanding A-level maths, it's honestly a free A*, there's barely any new content.

IMHO, essay based subjects like history etc are WAY harder.
Original post by Yousf
Another way of working it out (that hasn't been posted on the thread) is by saying

Suppose is true.

Where

Which is obviously true due to the symmetry of sin(x)

Anything else lmfao?

If you can do any of these I'll leave you alone. If anyone answers before you, it becomes void.

1432594740286.jpg1432594753077.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me the jump from GCSE - AS was HUGEEE mostly because I went to the most ****est school in Birmingham and thought myself a lot of the stuff that I needed to know for the GCSE maths exams, but honestly AS maths isn't that hard as long as you're dedicated and diligent with your revision, if you're not it can become a real problem.If I was taking AS maths two years ago I'd probably be saying that it's the most easiest thing in the whole world but the exams are getting harder, they're trying to make them more challenging than previous years, truthfully you just need to do what feels right for you, everyone have different experiences when it comes to this kind of stuff so you've got to have faith in yourself and decide this on your own without the influence of other people and I'm sure you'll be fine on no matter what you decide 😘

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
If you can do any of these I'll leave you alone. If anyone answers before you, it becomes void.

1432594740286.jpg1432594753077.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really not that difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TirnanF
Really not that difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let's just see if he can do it. PM me if you think you've got it and I bet it's wrong 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's just see if he can do it. PM me if you think you've got it and I bet it's wrong 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pm'd
Original post by TirnanF
Pm'd

What a joke 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a joke 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I guess if getting the right answer is a joke then by all means, it's hilarious.
Original post by TirnanF
Yes I guess if getting the right answer is a joke then by all means, it's hilarious.

Because you can put the equation in mathway, wolfram etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpg Nah I didn't
Because you can put the equation in mathway, wolfram etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it's been getting easier...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not this year unfortunately thus far, that's for sure.
A level maths is hard if you dont practice enough or youre really stupid. I Dont know if any of you have heard of the iit jee in india. That has some hard maths. And its hard even when you study a lot.
Original post by HeskeyLAD
Not this year unfortunately thus far, that's for sure.

Have a copy/link to this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a copy/link to this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is for Edexcel, for me thus far at least. I probably gave in to exam pressure, but honestly I didn't enjoy the C1 and C2 paper this year which are usually meant to be pretty straight-forward compared to the the other units.

Now I'm not a natural A-grade student, but I have for sure done significantly worse in the C2 paper than normal. I for once don't think too much of it was down to my fault, but maybe I am being bitter. Just check Arsey's answers for the pair in the A-level maths forum, you'll find it. One for C1 and one for C2. Compare them to previous years...

Quick Reply

Latest