The Student Room Group

Is A Level maths what everyone claims?

A lot of teachers have been saying A Levels maths is highly respected by a lot of unis, and I was just wondering there's any truth in that? Or do other things (like Sciences) make you look better?

I don't really like maths that much, but I would take it if it would give me an advantage.

I'm thinking of studying English Lit/History at uni if that makes any difference, and going into a career in Law.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by cat10
A lot of teachers have been saying A Levels maths is highly respected by a lot of unis, and I was just wondering there's any truth in that? Or do other things (like Sciences) make you look better?

I don't really like maths that much, but I would take it if it would give me an advantage.

I'm thinking of studying English Lit/History at uni if that makes any difference, and going into a career in Law.

Because it is so general, it is very highly respected regardless of what you want to do, but only do it if you're good enough to do it at A-level. Of course this applies to any subject, but don't just do it simply because it's "highly respected" or you will almost certainly regret it
Maths is very respected by universities. However, it is a very hard course so you need to be a competent mathematician.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths/FM are the best A-levels you can do, they open so many doors.
Original post by Lucypricexxx
Maths is very respected by universities. However, it is a very hard course so you need to be a competent mathematician.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lies, maths is one of the easiest A-levels you can do.
..be prepared to commit the traditional Japanese Samurai ritual if you take it..
Reply 7
If you didn't get an A* at GCSE I wouldn't even consider you saying you don't like it. I do both Eng Lit and History A level alongside maths and while I enjoy the 'break' of not having to write essays for maths I've always been good at maths and do enjoy it for the most part.
Reply 8
Original post by Lucypricexxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it is very easy. Practice is all there is to it in terms of doing well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
True
Reply 10
Maths was easy until 2015...
Yep it is true, maths can really aid any career choice and so is respected by universities
Original post by Yousf
Maths was easy until 2015...

Maths has not changed much in the last 15 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths is the best subject ever.

Original post by Arieisit
Maths has not changed much in the last 15 years.Posted from TSR Mobile

true lol
(edited 8 years ago)
People say it's easy are competent mathematicians who probably got A* at GCSE, if you are not one of these you will not find it easy, that being said it is not hard to become one either, for A level ability anyway.
Reply 15
Maths has not changed much in the last 15 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is maths, but the difficult change has been immense recently.
(edited 8 years ago)
Although I don't and am not planning to do A Level Maths (I'm in Year 11), I'm doing Further Maths at the minute (early entry, did the GCSE last year and got an A*) and I've been told it's similar in difficulty to AS Maths, although I think there's less content. I used to enjoy Maths to an extent, but the difficulty change has made me absolutely despise it because I don't enjoy it ENOUGH to dedicate enough willpower to it. If you're someone who doesn't like Maths at GCSE, I wouldn't bother, particularly if you don't need it for your chosen career path.
Reply 17
I was going to say exactly what the person above said, if you don't like Maths don't take it. I've always liked Maths so i find it "easy" just because i enjoy learning it and practicing it but other people in my school took it just because it's a respected A-level and now they are struggling. I suggest you take another subject that you like more
Original post by Yousf
Maths is maths, but the difficult change has been immense recently.

Yeah, it's been getting easier...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Yeah, it's been getting easier...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pfft, that sarcasm though.

Quick Reply

Latest