The Student Room Group

What is genetic diversity (biodiversity) AS OCR

I know that biodiveristy can be considered at different levels: Habitat diversity, species diversity and genetic diversity. I don't understand what genetic diversity is? Can someone please explain!
Original post by rm_27
I know that biodiveristy can be considered at different levels: Habitat diversity, species diversity and genetic diversity. I don't understand what genetic diversity is? Can someone please explain!

Hi! Genetic diversity is the diversity (variation) WITHIN a species. Biodiversity is different in that it is the diversity within a habitat. Genetic diversity can be measured by looking at how many different alleles there are in a gene pool (the gene pool is all the alleles of the species). So if there are many DIFFERENT alleles in the gene pool then there is high genetic diversity. Alternatively, genetic diversity could be measured by observing the different phenotypes (e.g. how many different eye colours there are)

I hope this has helped!
Reply 2
I personally take AQA biology, but I believe that genetic diversity can be roughly defined as:

"The variety of different alleles in the gene pool."

Also, Heisenberg, genetic diversity can either be within a species or between multiple species (respectively intraspecific and interspecific).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending