The Student Room Group

Maths alevels (am I failing?)

Hey guys I'm sitting my maths alevels in a year, I've done c1 and c2 ... Don't think I've done well enough, I've still got s1, c3, c4 and s2 could I still get a C at least?
Original post by Bybella
Hey guys I'm sitting my maths alevels in a year, I've done c1 and c2 ... Don't think I've done well enough, I've still got s1, c3, c4 and s2 could I still get a C at least?

Go in with the mindset of doing the best you can for each exam, and do as much work as you can to prepare yourself for the exams.

You'll get at least some UMS from C1 and C2 (hopefully better than you're expecting), and you just need to do as well as you can in the other modules. C is 360 out of 600 UMS, so you should be averaging about 60 UMS per module. It depends on your C1/C2 grades a bit but a B might be within reach.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Go in with the mindset of doing the best you can for each exam, and do as much work as you can to prepare yourself for the exams.

You'll get at least some UMS from C1 and C2 (hopefully better than you're expecting), and you just need to do as well as you can in the other modules. C is 360 out of 600 UMS, so you should be averaging about 60 UMS per module. It depends on your C1/C2 grades a bit but a B might be within reach.

Good luck!

Ohh okay, just wanted to ask for example if I get a U on a paper would I still get any UMS? Like if I answered some questions right? ... I'm just so not familiar with the alevel system
Original post by Bybella
Ohh okay, just wanted to ask for example if I get a U on a paper would I still get any UMS? Like if I answered some questions right? ... I'm just so not familiar with the alevel system

Yes, I think so. It doesn't really matter what individual grades you get for each module, just what the total of your UMS is, and I don't think getting a U results in you getting 0 UMS from that module - you'd get however many UMS you got.
Original post by Bybella

For C overall you need 360 ums. There are 400 ums available in the exams you have yet to take. Regardless of the grade awarded for the exams already taken, any marks gained will contribute ums to your total. If you have done ok if not spectacularly so far then a reasonable overall grade is possible if you put the work in. To be honest though, if you have done poorly on C1&2 and one of them is a U it seems unlikely that you would score highly on c3&4 unless the problem was poor exam technique (lack of past paper practice) that you can address quickly rather than lack of ability/knowledge which is perilously late to try to rectify.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
For C overall you need 360 ums. There are 400 ums available in the exams you have yet to take. Regardless of the grade awarded for the exams already taken, any marks gained will contribute ums to your total. If you have done ok if not spectacularly so far then a reasonable overall grade is possible if you put the work in. To be honest though, if you have done poorly on C1&2 and one of them is a U it seems unlikely that you would score highly on c3&4 unless the problem was poor exam technique (lack of past paper practice) that you can address quickly rather than lack of ability/knowledge which is perilously late to try to rectify.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey in my opinion I've done bad, but I'm not sure yet, to be honest I didn't do much papers... Now for s1, c3, c4 and s2 I'm doing all the practise papers and past papers and all sorts, Solomon papers ... I just want a C or a B but a C is fine
I admire the fact you're doing it all in a year!
Original post by Bybella
Hey in my opinion I've done bad, but I'm not sure yet, to be honest I didn't do much papers... Now for s1, c3, c4 and s2 I'm doing all the practise papers and past papers and all sorts, Solomon papers ... I just want a C or a B but a C is fine

good luck. So much of C3 and C4 builds and extends on C1 and C2 you could try and use what didn't go well on them to help you identify what might need work for the upcoming exams.
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
good luck. So much of C3 and C4 builds and extends on C1 and C2 you could try and use what didn't go well on them to help you identify what might need work for the upcoming exams.

Thank you, I'm not sure if I've done as bad as I think, but I'm doing all past papers😔I'm just hoping that I get a C overall

Quick Reply

Latest