The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrogSpawn
Finally someone who speaks sense! Lol, thanks pal this was really helpful!

Np :wink:
Original post by josh_v
UCL entry requirements for Economics (what one might consider a good route on to a finance masters) A*AA at A-Level. C at English and Maths
UCL entry requirements for Medicine (A100): A*AA. B at GCSE maths and english.

Hardly a world of difference.

Yes, but those are minimum requirements. Medicine's extremely competitive, realistically candidates applying with a B at GCSE maths and English just won't get an offer (or even an interview!)
Original post by KingdomOfTheLord
ffs I knew this would happen
a) Mary give the kid a break, I did GCSE's last year and I felt bad when I thought I screwed up
b) And mate, the reason they're being rude to you is bc you come off as slightly pretentious, now I don't think so, but the McDonalds thing isn't helping your cause.
c) you'll be fine, I did C2 last year and got an A*, I revised a few days before.

Spread love guys.
We can live like hippies in the 70's.

I like to think of the word hubris.
IKR! There's no way the boundaries for AQA will be that kind

I've never heard of any Exam Board that counts 70% and less as an A*.... 0.o
I mean, it's usually around 85% or more (and that's the lowest I'd say)

Also- regarding the grade boundaries, it's dependent on how everyone as an entirety found the papers- so if everyone else struggles, then that's good for you because the boundaries will be lower :P (I know this sounds terrible and I'm sorry for that but it's true D: )
Reply 44
Original post by marythestudent

👏👏👏
Original post by thechemistress
Great advice and all, but GCSEs do matter a lot if applying for medicine. Not sure if you're a medic or not but they do count for quite a bit

In which case s/he resits. The boundaries are likely going to be low anyway, and his/her coursework is very high and can pull up any slightly lower grades. It's really not the be all end all. I just take complete exception to the "I've ruined my future" thing because there are people out there who genuinely haven't got any prospects. OP has the world as their oyster.
Reply 46
Thanks for the replies everyone but I'll get going now for some well needed sleep before tomorrow's revision!
Reply 47
Tbh i get you OP, especially with your bro and sis theres deffo people who dont understand the enormous pressure on some people no matter what exam (I had a lot of pressure on me even from the 11+)...just understand that if you dont do too well its not the end of the world...just boost up to get better for AS...everything happens for a reason man:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If i'm gonna be honest, the future is not looking bright lad. Your future is so ****ed up right now I feel so sorry for you man. Don't worry in around 70-80 years time you'll be dead anyway, your gcses wont matter then. What I do recommend though is that if your gonna flop your gcses, then you might as well get some employable skills. If you do chores at home then you are already on the first steps to the best job you can possibly get at the moment: a cleaner. If you work really hard though you might be able to become a sanitation engineer, but I wouldn't put my hopes on it if I were you. In all seriousness, you are a failure. God has a plan for you, but in your case that plan is really ****ed up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by All_TheCyanide
In which case s/he resits. The boundaries are likely going to be low anyway, and his/her coursework is very high and can pull up any slightly lower grades. It's really not the be all end all. I just take complete exception to the "I've ruined my future" thing because there are people out there who genuinely haven't got any prospects. OP has the world as their oyster.

Medical schools can see when you've done resits and look less favourably onto those who've done them
Original post by All_TheCyanide

Resits are frowned upon by medical schools. They don't like them. Also no, coursework boundaries tend to be quite high so I understand why he's worried. Exam boundaries are low though.
Okay yes, other people have it worse but that doesn't mean that OP doesn't have the right to feel worried about his future as a potential doctor? That's a ridiculous argument- it's almost like saying, 'hey, you can't feel bad about getting fired from your job (or something along the lines of that), because there are people out there starving to death!'
He may be being slightly melodramatic though :rolleyes: :lol:
Medical schools can see when you've done resits and look less favourably onto those who've done them

What, all of them? Don't be silly. It's not like you're going to have failed them.

And even if this is the case, strengthen your application and make it stand out. Apply to many different places. It really isn't the end of the world. At least you're (I assume?) healthy...
Original post by marythestudent

LOOOOOOL, me or him?
If it's me, I didn't get outstanding gcse grades like the people in Cambridge, I did alright, and I'm thankful for it. Sorry if you thought I was boasting
Reply 53
Hey, thanks for the reply. My title was mainly to get attention to my question although I am really worried about this. My bro (7A* 4A) and sis (9A* 2A) got really good grades at GCSE and only narrowly got places for medicine so I guess thats the root cause of my worrying. I didn't make this so people would comfort me I am genuinely quite worried. But cheers for the reply again.

Every family needs a black sheep (Official Black Sheep talking), and I doubt unis really care about whether you get an A* or an A at GCSE, in anything, anyway.
Reply 54
Lol wth do you just want to make other feel bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
I know his point but medicine at a "good" uni is so much more competitive

Yes, but those are minimum requirements. Medicine's extremely competitive, realistically candidates applying with a B at GCSE maths and English just won't get an offer (or even an interview!)

UCL Economics (L100) applicants per place (2014): 12
UCL Medicine (A100) applicants per place (2014): 8
Hey I don't really get why people are hating, if you have a genuine concern about your grades then why are they all acting bitter?
I can say 100% that grades at GCSE matter a hell of a lot if you want to study medicine. I know Birmingham uni needs at least 6A*s so I get you. I'm not a medic myself but i heard a statistic floating about that it s harder to get into medicine than it is into Oxbridge, and I genuinely think that is true. But all the end of the day they aren't everything like I got rejected from LSE for not having enough A*s at GCSE but then I got into Durham after. (2A*s 8As 2Bs and a distinction).

Looking at the grades you listed before, I think you will be fine, just calm down a bit because at the end of the panicking will get you no where, just do your best and relax, everything will work out :smile:

I know people who got like one or two B's at GCSE who do medicine at respected unis though...
Original post by KingdomOfTheLord
LOOOOOOL, me or him?
If it's me, I didn't get outstanding gcse grades like the people in Cambridge, I did alright, and I'm thankful for it. Sorry if you thought I was boasting

No no op! Not you!
Resits are frowned upon by medical schools. They don't like them. Also no, coursework boundaries tend to be quite high so I understand why he's worried. Exam boundaries are low though.
Okay yes, other people have it worse but that doesn't mean that OP doesn't have the right to feel worried about his future as a potential doctor? That's a ridiculous argument- it's almost like saying, 'hey, you can't feel bad about getting fired from your job (or something along the lines of that), because there are people out there starving to death!'
He may be being slightly melodramatic though :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm sure they're not going to reject him for, say, getting an A and resitting to get an A*. It's not the end of the world.

Are they? I've always been ****e at chemistry but got an A* in my coursework (and in the final exam). Must have turned into Heisenburg in those last few months of GCSE as I got an E at AS...

Yes, but there's being concerned and then being like "waaah I have no future!"

I mean, as aforementioned, I've experienced failure before but you move on from it. With those coursework marks it's unlikely OP will be in the same situation as me, with an E grade, but if they don't make it, they don't make it. I wanted to be a vet, and I didn't get the grades. I actually found a foundation course I could have taken had I still wanted to be a vet when I was picking my uni choices, but I found out that I'd rather go into research. So really it was a blessing in disguise!

OP, you'll be fine. Honestly.

N.B. thechemistress, I love your username!

Latest