The Student Room Group

Racially segregated friendship groups?

It seems like the majority of people I know stick to friendship groups with people of the same race. I just don't understand why. In my secondary school we had an Asian group and black group a white group a Turkish group and a "rebel" Asian group. Only the 'outcasts' seemed to mix. At sixth form it's the same with obviously some of these groups having one or two people from a different race but largely the same race. In my own friendship group we have English, Eastern European, East Asian, South Asian and African. We're a small friendship group as well and people seem to find it odd that we all hang around together. I think I've been able to experience a lot more by having such diverse friends.

I'd understand in places where there was a lack of ethnic minorities? It'd make sense but all my schools have been incredibly diverse? It seems pretty intentional to me too. If you're in a group like this why?
Reply 1
Original post by Crystalz
It seems like the majority of people I know stick to friendship groups with people of the same race. I just don't understand why. In my secondary school we had an Asian group and black group a white group a Turkish group and a "rebel" Asian group. Only the 'outcasts' seemed to mix. At sixth form it's the same with obviously some of these groups having one or two people from a different race but largely the same race. In my own friendship group we have English, Eastern European, East Asian, South Asian and African. We're a small friendship group as well and people seem to find it odd that we all hang around together. I think I've been able to experience a lot more by having such diverse friends.

I'd understand in places where there was a lack of ethnic minorities? It'd make sense but all my schools have been incredibly diverse? It seems pretty intentional to me too. If you're in a group like this why?

People generally like and prefer being near someone that is physically similar to them.
It's not like that in my school at all. Everyone's friendship groups are mixed apart from the asian girls who only hang around with other asian girls lol
Tbh I've only just realised that I'm the only black girl in my friendship group :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by kkboyk
People generally like and prefer being near someone that is physically similar to them.

Why? No problem with groups that just happen to be like that but when people intentionally do it. You say physically similar to them but you mean racially similar to them so say it. Why would you only want to be near someone of the same race?

Original post by bassbabe
It's not like that in my school at all. Everyone's friendship groups are mixed apart from the asian girls who only hang around with other asian girls lol
Tbh I've only just realised that I'm the only black girl in my friendship group :redface:

I think the Asian girls do it due to religious beliefs which I also don't really agree with. Glad people aren't deliberately segregating themselves in your school though.
Wasn't the case in my school tbh.

Dunno why not.
Reply 5
I'm the only white girl in my friendship group, everyone else is black and there's two Asians. I get what you mean though! I don't know why it happens
Reply 6
Original post by Crystalz
Why? No problem with groups that just happen to be like that but when people intentionally do it. You say physically similar to them but you mean racially similar to them so say it. Why would you only want to be near someone of the same race?

jist to clarify, my friendship group is very multi cultural and i do not segregate myself from other races.

whether you agree or not, people would generally prefer their own race and feel better.
Reply 7
In schools which are equally mixed segregation doesnt exist from my experience. I live near a mixed primary school and see girls in burkas sitting with white girls, chinese, black etc all playing. Same applies to the local secondary school.. only the older generation really care about race tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Very much segregated my college. In fact the location where it race ways is different. :lol: I suppose people just feel more comfortable around people of the same race.
Reply 9
It's like that in my college. I'd say there's a good mix of people there but the different races tend to stick among each other.

Also, in my class all the Asians only ever hang around with each other so they're always in one big group. It's definitely their choice because no matter how friendly you are with them, they will never go near you or try to start up a conversation. It's a shame because they're a good bunch and seem like nice people.

I'm probably the opposite because I actually prefer having a wide range of friends rather than just sticking to my own race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by kkboyk
jist to clarify, my friendship group is very multi cultural and i do not segregate myself from other races.

whether you agree or not, people would generally prefer their own race and feel better.

But why is that?

Original post by 8472
Very much segregated my college. In fact the location where it race ways is different. :lol: I suppose people just feel more comfortable around people of the same race.

Should you judge how comfortable you feel around people on their race?
Reply 11
All my schools have been 99.99% white lol
Reply 12
Original post by RobML
All my schools have been 99.99% white lol

Makes more sense for friendship groups to be predominantly one race in that context.
My friendship group is filled with asian boys/girls
I am one of three black guys in my friendship group.
There are like 8 asians and no white
Even though my sixth form is in a white man area lol

Quick Reply

Latest