The Student Room Group

On applying for a deferral

Hello, all.

I'm an Indian student who received an admit this year into the MSc programme in Information Security at UCL. My family's financial situation, however, makes it a little difficult for me to join this year. Also, if I stay in my current job for another year (I'm working as a software developer down here,) I'll be able to easily manage the cash needed to complete studies. As such, I'm planning to request for a deferral.

Do universities consider financial constraints a valid reason for granting deferrals? Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Sineva
Original post by Sineva
Hello, all.

I'm an Indian student who received an admit this year into the MSc programme in Information Security at UCL. My family's financial situation, however, makes it a little difficult for me to join this year. Also, if I stay in my current job for another year (I'm working as a software developer down here,) I'll be able to easily manage the cash needed to complete studies. As such, I'm planning to request for a deferral.

Do universities consider financial constraints a valid reason for granting deferrals? Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Sineva

Generally if you ask for a deferral you will get one. They don't usually ask for any reason.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Generally if you ask for a deferral you will get one. They don't usually ask for any reason.

Well, different unis have different policies on deferral so it's not automatic, OP needs to check with ucl, but I do agree that the uni policy to deferrals will probably be applied irrespective of reason. There are unis who grant deferrals, those who do not grant deferrals and you have to reapply the following year, and some who grant deferrals subject to the applicant paying a deposit to reserve the place.

Quick Reply