The Student Room Group

At what age do you think you're going to retire?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Keyhofi
Will find a job I love and work at it forever.

IMO. even if you loved your job, you'd get sick of it one day : /

Original post by russellsteapot
I don't imagine anyone will be healthy forever, but that's how old most people will have to work until. It's financially realistic, particularly as life expectancy is generally going up and there are far fewer opportunities to pick up an inflated public sector pension these days.

As for health issues at 50+, I don't think it's really the case as much as it used to be. Most 50+ year olds I know are still healthy, working people and show few signs of having to slow down.

I'm curious to know how some people can work for so long, especially within the same cooperation/place for 20-30 years.
Reply 41
Original post by domonict
The tax implications of choosing to "retire" at 54 are high.

What tax implications?

Original post by domonict
In theory, one could choose to "retire" at 18 but that wasn't what I assumed people were talking about

I thought thats exactly what this thread is about.
Reply 42
Original post by Reue
Mid (perhaps even early) 40s

The point at which you're 'safe' is by having 25x your annual expenses invested generating a 7% averaged return.

I envy you Reue :moon:

I'm still worried about my savings; never sure if I'd reach my goals or 'safe' balance ...
Reply 43
Original post by kka25

I'm still worried about my savings; never sure if I'd reach my goals or 'safe' balance ...

Whats your savings percentage? There's a handy table:

Savings Rate (Percent) Working Years Until Retirement
5 66
10 51
15 43
20 37
25 32
30 28
35 25
40 22
45 19
50 17
55 14.5
60 12.5
65 10.5
70 8.5
75 7
80 5.5
85 4
90 under 3
95 under 2
100 Zero
Reply 44
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I'd like to think I will still be working at 70 at least, maybe part time hours till 75.

Vince Cable was working long hours as Secretary of State and an MP up till the election and he was 71.

I really can't see myself working until I'm in my 70s : /

I can imagine that I'd be using a cane at that age lol.
Original post by Reue
Mid (perhaps even early) 40s

The point at which you're 'safe' is by having 25x your annual expenses invested generating a 7% averaged return.

What a brilliant way to know how much you need to retire. I repped the wrong post though :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by Reue
Whats your savings percentage? There's a handy table:

Savings Rate (Percent) Working Years Until Retirement
5 66
10 51
15 43
20 37
25 32
30 28
35 25
40 22
45 19
50 17
55 14.5
60 12.5
65 10.5
70 8.5
75 7
80 5.5
85 4
90 under 3
95 under 2
100 Zero

I think my saving % is around 50-70% of my current income.

So, if my working experience is 4 years, I'd should save 85% of my income?
Reply 47
Original post by kka25

So, if my working experience is 4 years, I'd should save 85% of my income?

No, if you were saving 85% of your income then you'd have enough to retire in 4 years.

If you're saving 50% of your income then you'll have enough in 17 years. Etc.
Reply 48
Original post by Reue
No, if you were saving 85% of your income then you'd have enough to retire in 4 years.

ATM, I don't think it's enough Reue :emo:
half of u wont even make it to 60 considering the world we live in today
Reply 50
Original post by kka25
ATM, I don't think it's enough Reue :emo:

Better keep saving then :wink:
Reply 51
Original post by TheYearNiner
half of u wont even make it to 60 considering the world we live in today

Europe is arguably at it's most stable point ever. Life expectancy is going up.

What are you basing your comments on?
Reply 52
Original post by Reue
Europe is arguably at it's most stable point ever. Life expectancy is going up.

What are you basing your comments on?

WWIII
Reply 53
Original post by Reue
Better keep saving then :wink:

Don't you have days when you just want to buy things?
Reply 54
Original post by kka25
Don't you have days when you just want to buy things?

Yes, and I buy them :s
Reply 55
Original post by Reue

Wow another who's into Financial Independence. Love it, pretty rare for people at our age to even consider retirement. I'm only 20 but I can't imagine working till my early 70's which is probably what we'd be expected to do. I'm planning to retire when I've got my £1 million in the bank and I can live on £40k with my future wife in perpetuity. Do you not think kids/house etc will make such a high savings rate pretty difficult?
Reply 56
Original post by Reue
Yes, and I buy them :s

No I mean, things that aren't really necessities but sometimes you'd like to have them e.g. like a nice meal (which can be expansive), new running shoes, etc.
Reply 57
Original post by JayReg
Wow another who's into Financial Independence. Love it, pretty rare for people at our age to even consider retirement. I'm only 20 but I can't imagine working till my early 70's which is probably what we'd be expected to do. I'm planning to retire when I've got my £1 million in the bank and I can live on £40k with my future wife in perpetuity. Do you not think kids/house etc will make such a high savings rate pretty difficult?

I think more people are starting to get onboard at an earlier age. There's alot of information out there on various forums and blogs.

£40k is high! Why do you need so much?

Kids will undoubtedly increase costs, however buying my house has saved me money as the mortgage interest is less than my old rent.
Reply 58
Original post by kka25
No I mean, things that aren't really necessities but sometimes you'd like to have them e.g. like a nice meal (which can be expansive), new running shoes, etc.

Yes, I buy them as well. I could probably save an extra 10% each month if I wasnt buying booze etc.
Never. Once you retire from a academic challenging atmosphere, your brain will quiver up into a tiny retirement home resident's. You'll become a old person clichè.

Quick Reply

Latest