The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

end of the year

right, i'm just wondering about the end of the year (as in june!) - i know we finish exams about 3weeks ish before the end of term in that time there's no lectures... are we allowed to leave before the 22nd to go home or are we supposed to give back our keys etc then? (by the way before anyone tells me its so much fun etc i only mean leaving on say the 20th)
thanks
Reply 1
Yes you can leave on like the 20th, I think you can hand in keys whenever you like to be honest!

Although you say "in that time there are no lectures" this isn't always true - some courses run like tutorials/lectures on the next year's course, you get coursework, essays, etc. handed back to you with feedback, and other random stuff (such as dissertation meetings, etc.) can be organised.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
cool, thanks for the info dobbs:smile:
Reply 3
Hi, ive been wondering about this too. I'm doing a foundation year at the moment so they wouldnt start doing lectures for next year would they? how would this work for me? do you think I would be able to leave after finishing the exam period? or wait till the 22nd?
Reply 4
DO NOT LEAVE!

Those 3 weeks are ace.
Reply 5
lol but say i did want to, i could right?
Reply 6
Yeah, if you don't like sunbathing, cold beers, tons of events and a general holiday-camp atmosphere with all your friends.
Reply 7
i like all those things IN CORNWALL :p:
Reply 8
Seriously though, the 3 weeks post-exams are AMAZING! That's when things like the JUNE BALL and college days are. You dont want to miss the June Ball, trust me.
Stay for the 3 weeks after exams, they are so much fun. :biggrin:
Reply 9
I definately don't wanna miss the June Ball (specially after missing Ladies Night!!) but you know, just wondering about leaving a day before to go to Cornwall (annual event for many years now)
Oh, leaving a day early is not unusual, although it would be a shame to miss the last day, quite a few people do it. Leaving 3 weeks early would miss you Bierfest, Castle Day and the JB. Not a great idea!
EDIT: Of course, I mean the "Bavarian Cultural Exchange" rather than Bierfest, since Bierfest has in fact been banned for many years.
Reply 11
Mattmoy_2000
Oh, leaving a day early is not unusual, although it would be a shame to miss the last day, quite a few people do it. Leaving 3 weeks early would miss you Bierfest, Castle Day and the JB. Not a great idea!
EDIT: Of course, I mean the "Bavarian Cultural Exchange" rather than Bierfest, since Bierfest has in fact been banned for many years.

I <3 the Bavarian Cultural Exchange.
Reply 12
abacab
I definately don't wanna miss the June Ball (specially after missing Ladies Night!!) but you know, just wondering about leaving a day before to go to Cornwall (annual event for many years now)

You've been doing this annual event for many years.....you're going to be at Durham for 3 or 4 years...what's the problem with changing for a few years?

You can always go back to the event in Cornwall after Uni, but I bet if you try to get into Castle's June Ball after graduation they'll laugh in your face!

You seriously need to experience the time after exams, I've never had so much fun in my life....it's SO relaxing after exams and stress, the last thing I'd want to do is head home and miss out on spending time with the friends I've made at Durham but not really had time to just "chill" with them due to always having work to do......the day that my exams finish this year is going to be the best day of my life so far. FACT :biggrin:
Reply 13
You do need to be there to register though
Reply 14
Timothy
You do need to be there to register though

Ahhhh yes, man I am getting old, I knew there was something you had to be there for!

But you can also apply for early registration if you have a good reason (i.e. going home to WORK because you need money, or going on study leave - both reasons I've seen be used by my friends)

Latest