The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Psychology Unit 1- 1st June 2015

How are you feeling about this exam?
What studies are you expecting to come up?
Do you think that we will get questions asking to design our own study(like last year) ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
C'moon... doesn't anybody do Psychology?
Hello, I do Psychology but I don't think many others seem to do it at a GCSE :frown: I really hope they don't ask us to conduct our own study...
Reply 3
Original post by Nadine_08
Do you think that we will get questions asking to design our own study(like last year) ?

Omg the 2014 paper was really good. I can only hope it'll be just as straight forward... But then again there's no good predictions of the paper on the internet or any good revision material just because no one does the course at gcse 😐😐
I am doing Psychology GCSE - quite nervous about it, and feel very under-prepared! There's very little revision (as Ayooo said) material, which has made it hard, and I have really struggled with learning the studies :frown: not looking forward to it!
Reply 5
Original post by Purple-Pixie
Hello, I do Psychology but I don't think many others seem to do it at a GCSE :frown: I really hope they don't ask us to conduct our own study...

Same, even though my teacher said if they do we can basically just use an existing study but alter it a bit
Reply 6
Original post by SophieJ979
I am doing Psychology GCSE - quite nervous about it, and feel very under-prepared! There's very little revision (as Ayooo said) material, which has made it hard, and I have really struggled with learning the studies :frown: not looking forward to it!

Are you doing AQA? Just buy the AQA GCSE Psychology textbook- it's got everything you need
Reply 7
Original post by Ayooo
Omg the 2014 paper was really good. I can only hope it'll be just as straight forward... But then again there's no good predictions of the paper on the internet or any good revision material just because no one does the course at gcse 😐😐

I thought the 2014 paper had quite different questions than other papers? Just a few though, including the 'design your own study' question, other than that yeah it is quite straightforward
I bought the textbook a while ago when I started studying, but it's just remembering all the studies that I struggle with!
I made some flash cards for memory NVC. If they're any help, feel free to pass them around.https://www.brainscape.com/packs/5702950/invitation?referrer=1412908

I'll keep adding to it with the other topics over the next few days.
Good luck with your exams guys!

EDIT: Personality cards are up now.
(edited 8 years ago)
guys do u have to learn studies fr sex and gender
Original post by rishikasmiles
guys do u have to learn studies fr sex and gender

Sex and Gender is mainly theory and evaluation. Although, there will be studies that you have to have knowledge of. For example, Little Hans (Psychodynamic), Perry and Bussey (Social Learning), Martin (Gender Schema). All this applies if you're doing AQA, which I hope you are or else all what I have just written becomes entirely usesless! :smile:

EDIT: Just to note, a lot what appears in Sex and Gender also appears in Aggression and a little in Social Influence, which is always helpful when trying to revise.
(edited 8 years ago)
YES I am doing AQA, and indeed I have noticed the topics to overlap (like social learning theories and vicarious learning). Also Lil Hans is the Freud's study isn't?

In general what are the grade boundaries like for an A*?

Anyway thanks a ton! xo
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nadine_08

That is just a roundabout way to test whether you know the study isn't? You kinda recall what you know but put it in the first person pronoun 'I'.
I have a huge question --- are u required to leaarn the studies for sex and gender for unit 2?
Reply 15
That is just a roundabout way to test whether you know the study isn't? You kinda recall what you know but put it in the first person pronoun 'I'.

Yeah true
Reply 16
I have a huge question --- are u required to leaarn the studies for sex and gender for unit 2?

Nope, you don't. Though it's good if you think it will help with your understanding.
Reply 17
YES I am doing AQA, and indeed I have noticed the topics to overlap (like social learning theories and vicarious learning). Also Lil Hans is the Freud's study isn't?

Anyway thanks a ton! xo

Around 70 for an A*. Last year it was 71/80.
Reply 18
I am struggling to get prepared for unit 1 and unit 2 especially for the studies. Any tips?

Anyway thanks a ton! xo

Yeah, they do. And yes, Little Hans is Freud's study (just to remeber if you already haven't, Little Hans was a case study and Freud psychoanalysed him to be going through the Oedipius complex; so in this instance you won't need to, nor be asked to write an AIM, METHOD, RESULTS and CONCLUSION).

The grade boundaries for last June (2014) are here.

Although grade boundaries are subject to change each year, generally for an A*, you're looking at late 60's to early 70's; this all depends on how difficult the paper was.

No worries, good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending