The Student Room Group

Am I being Irrational or am I in the wrong?

So my girlfriend has the most reckless friends who are all single, so when they go out on nights out I get a little worried that she'll be put in compromising positions due to some really bad past experiences with them such as them bringing boys back to the house where my girlfriend is staying, letting her walk home on her own at 4 in the morning and just overall caring about their night far more than hers. Because of this whenever she says i'm going drinking with them I get quite funny about it and as controlling as this may sound, i'd rather she didn't...

What it is is that she has an inability to stand up to them and tell them what she really thinks, she allows them to walk all over her which is completely different to how she acts around me. So last night there was a very big argument where I asked her to start putting me before her friends and drinking - am I in the wrong or being irrational and controlling?
Reply 1
Thats a tad irrational and controlling
You cant tell your girlfriend what she can and cannot do but in this case i dont see a problem with you nicely advising her that these people arent particularly good friends with their behaviour. It is normal to worry about safety at night but you risk upsetting her if you do more than say you re unhappy i.e say i dont want you doing x with y.
I don't think it's fair to call it completely irrational when it's a natural innate part of the human mind to get concerned about this, just because what she's doing is socially the norm now.

That being said, if you knew she liked to go out drinking with friends before you got into a relationship, then it could be said it was implicit that you were accepting that side of her. However, I know girls who still went out with friends when they were in relationships, but would drink far less than when they were single, so that's an option.

I doubt though that her friends would actively encourage her to do anything with other guys, more often it's the other way round where they'd make sure she didn't do anything; but you know them better than I do.

And as for being controlling, I'm sure a girl would feel the same concern if the situation were reversed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
You cant tell your girlfriend what she can and cannot do but in this case i dont see a problem with you nicely advising her that these people arent particularly good friends with their behaviour. It is normal to worry about safety at night but you risk upsetting her if you do more than say you re unhappy i.e say i dont want you doing x with y.

I understand that it may sound controlling but, she says she only goes out because she fears if she doesn't they will unfriend her - now because of all the horrible positions she's been in because of them I feel like my worries are warranted?
Reply 5
Original post by Scorpiorok
I don't think it's fair to call it completely irrational when it's a natural innate part of the human mind to get concerned about this, just because what she's doing is socially the norm now.

That being said, if you knew she liked to go out drinking with friends before you got into a relationship, then it could be said it was implicit that you were accepting that side of her. However, I know girls who still went out with friends when they were in relationships, but would drink far less than when they were single, so that's an option.

I doubt though that her friends would actively encourage her to do anything with other guys, more often it's the other way round where they'd make sure she didn't do anything; but you know them better than I do.

And as for being controlling, I'm sure a girl would feel the same concern if the situation were reversed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just feel that I should be put before them and drinking, yes, I have a natural disposition toward being a chronic worrier and that may come across as controlling but I've heard her cry way too many times because of these nights out, so how can I suggest that she should put them on hold for a while and concentrate on us?
Original post by JayDu
I understand that it may sound controlling but, she says she only goes out because she fears if she doesn't they will unfriend her - now because of all the horrible positions she's been in because of them I feel like my worries are warranted?

I think she just needs to figure out for herself that these woman are pretty bad for her really,just try to be supportive and encourage her to maybe make friendships with others that would be more caring on nights out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending