The Student Room Group

Can you actually get taller through exercise and diet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
Maybe, will you at half a foot? Probably not. However you might grow some more. Eating a half decent diet and living a healthy lifestyle is as much as you can do :smile:

I plan on eating healthy, sleeping for 8-10 hours per day and exercising, hopefully I will get taller! :h:
I do a martial art and also workout, I have grown from around 5 foot 9 to around 6 foot 3 in the past year. So I suppose stretching your muscles will help them grow and expand- but I think it is partly down to genetics as well
Original post by cantgetvalidname
Thanks for taking the time to mention all that. I turned 18 a few weeks ago, however I was a late bloomer and throughout my years of middle school and high school I never went through a growth spurt or whatever. The endocrinologist had predicted what my height should be but there didn't seem to be anything wrong with me at the same time. I did have an X-ray done and my bone age is younger than my actual age. I did not get any blood test done for HGH. Do you think if I increase HGH I could get taller? like does that somehow increase the space between my bones or something? (sorry don't know the technical terms and not sure if I make sense, hope you understand what I'm talking about though). Thanks for posting, it was quite helpful :smile:

If your bone age was younger than your actual age then it means that you will probably have some growing left to do and your bones have not yet fused.- So good news for you. :smile:

Basically your bones are not fused when you are born - so that there is room to grow- but after puberity - at some point between 16-18 or a little latter- the bones fuse and then no more growth will take place

If you have normal levels of Growth Hormone- which you probably will have given what you have said- then extra will not help. You would also not get it from the NHS without a serious deficiency or medical condition mostly because it wouldn't help and secondly because it is very expensive - -in the region of £1000 + a month (No that is not a typo £1000 or more a month) It is also administered by injection which you have to do every day , and most types have to be kept in a fridge so it is not just a matter of popping a pill.

From what you have said, I suspect that you may continue to grow- but if you have any concerns go along to your GP and ask to see your bone age xray and get them to tell you how much growing they think you might have left

Good Luck and remember being under 5 foot never did Kyle Minogue any harm :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mysterious4
I do a martial art and also workout, I have grown from around 5 foot 9 to around 6 foot 3 in the past year. So I suppose stretching your muscles will help them grow and expand- but I think it is partly down to genetics as well

How old are you if you don't mind my asking? And are you a guy or a girl?

Original post by watchingyouwatch
If your bone age was younger than your actual age then it means that you will probably have some growing left to do and your bones have not yet fused.- So good news for you. :smile:

Basically your bones are not fused when you are born - so that there is room to grow- but after puberity - at some point between 16-18 or a little latter- the bones fuse and then no more growth will take place

If you have normal levels of Growth Hormone- which you probably will have given what you have said- then extra will not help. You would also not get it from the NHS without a serious deficiency or medical condition mostly because it wouldn't help and secondly because it is very expensive - -in the region of £1000 + a month (No that is not a typo £1000 or more a month) It is also administered by injection which you have to do every day , and most types have to be kept in a fridge so it is not just a matter of popping a pill.

From what you have said, I suspect that you may continue to grow- but if you have any concerns go along to your GP and ask to see your bone age xray and get them to tell you how much growing they think you might have left

Good Luck and remember being under 5 foot never did Kyle Minogue any harm :biggrin:

Thank you so much for letting me know all that, its a very insightful post. Thanks! And yeah she's extremely sexy :wink:
Original post by cantgetvalidname
How old are you if you don't mind my asking? And are you a guy or a girl?

Thank you so much for letting me know all that, its a very insightful post. Thanks! And yeah she's extremely sexy :wink:

A 17 yr old guy
Reply 45
If you're a growing teenager, leading a healthy lifestyle will ensure that you reach your fully possible height, however after you have finished growing, those kinds of things won't make a difference. Some people say that if ou do a lot of back stretching the space in-between your back bones gets a lottle bigger and you can grow (although only a very small amount - probably half a cm at most or so) although I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Quick Reply