The Student Room Group

Data Analyst - where to go next

My boyfriend has been having a bit of a dilemma recently regarding his work situation, and, since I don't have any answers, I thought I'd turn to trusty TSR to see if anyone has any advice or ideas :smile:

Basically, he got A,B,D at A level, and then received a 2:1 in Maths at a redbrick university. Since then, he's spent the past 2 years as a Data Analyst for quite a reputable global company. He feels ready to move on from there, but, even though he graduated 2 years ago, he still feels unsure as to what his options are and where he actually wants to progress to.

Obviously, he could move on to other Data Analyst positions around here (Manchester), or Senior Data Analyst roles. Or even in London I guess. But I'm not sure ultimately where they could lead to, if anywhere, in terms of a long term career (I'm a bit clueless about the whole situation to be honest!) So then there's the option of changing jobs - but then I'm not sure what else he could do.

So, if anyone has any helpful advice/ideas/career ideas etc, they would be much appreciated, as he doesn't really know where to go from here, and I feel a little helpless!

x
Reply 1
has he ever though of venturing online with his skills?
Reply 2
Aled
has he ever though of venturing online with his skills?

What do you mean? x
Reply 3
Hmm, does anyone else have any ideas? x
Reply 4
He should have a chat to some senior people in his organisation. There may be an ideal role for him he hasn't condsidered. Failing that, HR or his line manager should be able to offer advice. His line manager should be doing some kind of career progression plan if the company is a) an good and b) keen to keep him on. Training (external, company paid) helps too, even if it's something he's not interested in, it may pique his interest in something he hadn't considered and find his niche there.
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply :smile:

I actually passed this idea to him, but he says the problem is that there aren't really any other roles available within the company. They're a division of a larger organisation so the primary focus is data analysis. The only other role that he could take are the senior analyst and managerial roles; but these are very few and very rarely is there a need for more. So there isn't really much room for progression anytime in the near future, and thus he feels like the time has come to start thinking about leaving.

Problem is, I don't think he really knows where he could move to and what he could do, and I can't really offer much advice - options of what jobs there are with a numerical focus are really not anything I have a clue about!

Latest

Trending

Trending