The Student Room Group

Retake an AS level last minute?

Hello, I've just worked how much i need to get an A in biology over all this year and its like 95% on both unit 4 and 5 which i don't think i'll be able to do. I got 71% in unit 2 last year, Im thinking about retaking it and trying to get higher and revising now (half term) for it because they take the highest mark anyway, but its literally like next Monday and I know that's really last minute. Does anyone know how I would go about entering myself into it? I know its possible because someone at my college did it last year but I have no idea how? Thanks
Original post by hp707
Hello, I've just worked how much i need to get an A in biology over all this year and its like 95% on both unit 4 and 5 which i don't think i'll be able to do. I got 71% in unit 2 last year, Im thinking about retaking it and trying to get higher and revising now (half term) for it because they take the highest mark anyway, but its literally like next Monday and I know that's really last minute. Does anyone know how I would go about entering myself into it? I know its possible because someone at my college did it last year but I have no idea how? Thanks

No you can't There is absolutely no way you can enter the exam now

Entries for exams closed a few months ago. Just don't bother pursing it as I can guarantee with absolute certainty that you can't enter any exams for this season. Just focus on getting that 95%. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Xin Xang
No you can't There is absolutely no way you can enter the exam now

Entries for exams closed a few months ago. Just don't bother pursing it as I can guarantee with absolute certainty that you can't enter any exams for this season. Just focus on getting that 95%. Good luck.

Someone I know entered themselves for the bio 1 exam the week before it? I would do what they did but i'm on exam leave now so can't just go to student reception. I'm on AQA if that helps? Thanks though
Original post by hp707
Someone I know entered themselves for the bio 1 exam the week before it? I would do what they did but i'm on exam leave now so can't just go to student reception. I'm on AQA if that helps? Thanks though

That just not possible. Either they were lying to you, or you misunderstood them.
Reply 4
That just not possible. Either they were lying to you, or you misunderstood them.

They were in the exam, i'm the one who told them to retake it to get his marks up haha, it definitely is, someone did it last year and I've just read a few threads where people have but still unclear on how to do it :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by hp707

It is possible to enter on the day if you have a centre willing to let you do it.
Entering at this stage costs 2-3 times the original fee (depending on exam board), the difficulty is in finding a centre. I presume you are at a centre that teaches this spec for your A2 units. This means that they should have entries for Unit 2 and will have some spare papers so all they will need to do is find you a seat and make a late entry - about 5 minutes work. Try to contact them in advance but they may well be on holiday until 1 June. When you do make contact, be very apologetc, ask very nicely and explain your reasons but persist until they enter you; I promise you this is possible.
Original post by hp707

Although you are long past the normal exam entry deadline, you can be entered absolutely at the last minute if the exams officer is willing to do it and you are prepared to pay the high fee involved. They usually have spare papers as the examiners send more than required. Contact the exams officer during the half term break if you want to try sort it out. They don't have to do it and may not agree to it, they are very unlikely to do it if you leave until the day.

Edit: beat me to it by 2 minutes Compost :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
It is possible to enter on the day if you have a centre willing to let you do it.
Entering at this stage costs 2-3 times the original fee (depending on exam board), the difficulty is in finding a centre. I presume you are at a centre that teaches this spec for your A2 units. This means that they should have entries for Unit 2 and will have some spare papers so all they will need to do is find you a seat and make a late entry - about 5 minutes work. Try to contact them in advance but they may well be on holiday until 1 June. When you do make contact, be very apologetc, ask very nicely and explain your reasons but persist until they enter you; I promise you this is possible.

Thank you! :smile: I will do, just to clarify, I'm right in assuming they take the highest mark out of you old one and retake right? Ive been told this before but i just wanna be sure in case haha
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
Although you are long past the normal exam entry deadline, you can be entered absolutely at the last minute if the exams officer is willing to do it and you are prepared to pay the high fee involved. They usually have spare papers as the examiners send more than required. Contact the exams officer during the half term break if you want to try sort it out. They don't have to do it and may not agree to it, they are very unlikely to do it if you leave until the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, i'm fine with paying the extra fee and that, its bank holiday tomorrow but i'll definitely ring on tuesday and beg them haha
Reply 9
No you can't There is absolutely no way you can enter the exam now.

The OP asked for advice, please consider whether you actually know the answer before replying with such certainty. In this case you are mistaken.
Original post by Compost
The OP asked for advice, please consider whether you actually know the answer before replying with such certainty. In this case you are mistaken.

You shouldn't give false hope. Especially when an A grade is on the line. Tut tut.

Quick Reply

Latest