The Student Room Group

Year 12 Repeat - Top Ten Uni acceptance.

Hi all,
If I don't do as well as i expected, Shall i resit the year?
I will have to resit the exams at A2 along with my A2 exams and that will be a lot of stress! Plus, I sort of know how the game works. If i resit I can make sure i'm on the track from the start of the year and make sure I get my grades and I can have a fresh start!
HOWEVER! What's worrying me is the new A-level reforms!!! The fact that it's all going to be linear next year and I'm scared that resitting might reduce my chance of getting into Russel group University!
Shall i Resit? I just want a genuine ideas and advice.
OR I can try my best work really hard at A2 and resits some AS subjects at the end of year to get back on the game!
What shall i do?
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock-Sophie
Hi all,
I will have to resit the exams at A2 along with my A2 exams and that will be a lot of stress! Plus, I sort of know how the game works. If i resit I can make sure i'm on the track from the start of the year and make sure I get my grades and I can have a fresh start!
HOWEVER! What's worrying me is the new A-level reforms!!! The fact that it's all going to be linear next year and I'm scared that resitting might reduce my chance of getting into Russel group University!
OR I can try my best work really hard at A2 and resits some AS subjects at the end of year to get back on the game!
What shall i do?
Thank you!

Resist only your exams at the end of A2. You wouldn't be allowed to do the same subjects next year if you want to resist the whole year. Start off your revision from the start of the year :smile:
Reply 2
Will I be able to resit the same same subjects? The thing is, if i resit i will have to resit, i will have to take exams at the end of 2 years rather than one. But i don't like my current school. and I want to leave!
(edited 8 years ago)
Will I be able to resit the same same subjects? The thing is, if i resit i will have to resit, i will have to take exams at the end of 2 years rather than one. But i don't like my current school. and I want to leave!

If you get higher than C/D they would allow you to do A2, then just retake the exams all together next year June.
Don't retake the whole year, you will not be able to pick the same subjects and the school do not get funded for student retaking the whole year so I doubt your school is willing to pay for you attending lesson+sit the exams out of their pocket
Reply 4
Would rule you out of Cambridge and Imperial. Others not sure about, but probably wouldn't rule you out, but certainly wouldn't be great.
Original post by TVIO
Would rule you out of Cambridge and Imperial. Others not sure about, but probably wouldn't rule you out, but certainly wouldn't be great.

Cambridge yes, Imperial No...complete no. They said as long as it's not medicine it should be fine as they currently have students who repeated their first years for various reasons.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all, <br />
If I don't do as well as i expected, Shall i resit the year? <br />
I will have to resit the exams at A2 along with my A2 exams and that will be a lot of stress! Plus, I sort of know how the game works. If i resit I can make sure i'm on the track from the start of the year and make sure I get my grades and I can have a fresh start! <br />
HOWEVER! What's worrying me is the new A-level reforms!!! The fact that it's all going to be linear next year and I'm scared that resitting might reduce my chance of getting into Russel group University! <br />
Shall i Resit? I just want a genuine ideas and advice. <br />
OR I can try my best work really hard at A2 and resits some AS subjects at the end of year to get back on the game! <br />
What shall i do? <br />
Thank you!
<br />

Depends, I got BBC in year 12 which was below what I wanted but just enough to get an offer from York for AAB. I'm doing a lot of resits, like both units for biology and some maths papers and yes, it's stressful nut the content is easier to learn as youve been fed more complex information. I've stayed on top of a2 work and tried harder and things are on track for at least ABB.

Just remember that it's a whole year of your life and if you get ABB or bbb, you could still get an offer from like bath or exeter, but just not for medicine
Reply 7
Original post by Cherry82
Cambridge yes, Imperial No...complete no. They said as long as it's medicine it should be fine as they currently have students who repeated their first years for various reasons.

Just this cycle someone on tsr was rejected, and I believe the reason was the retake. Pretty sure it wasn't medicine either. Imperial say a lot of things but what they do is often different.
Reply 8
Hi all,
What shall i do?
Thank you!

providing it's not horrendous throughout i wouldn't worry and just resit ones come next summer. that said i'm at a russel group unin and my flat mate resat the entire year.
the linear thing won't make you do any worse because everyone is in the same boat remember? also it's not in all subjects the reforms just yet i don't think.
So I am basically screwed!
Original post by TVIO
Just this cycle someone on tsr was rejected, and I believe the reason was the retake. Pretty sure it wasn't medicine either. Imperial say a lot of things but what they do is often different.

If the person met the grade requirements for their wanted course, imperial wouldn't say hey though you met the grade requirements, have a good personal statement and depending on the course, did well in the entrance exams etc- we can't accept you because you repeated year 12. That makes no sense because as long as you can show that you've met what is required of you, that you've grown and improved too, they will take you. Also people have various reasons for repeating year 12. If not medical, others find themselves in situations which interfere with their studies. So I really doubt that imperial would deny someone for repeating a year, especially if the course isn't highly competitive unlike medicine. They may give a higher entry requirement too so it really depends. I know many who have repeated and entered russell group universities such as Warwick, Bristol and Manchester...Maybe things are changing. I think OP should still apply, just do very well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Skill Twix
So I am basically screwed!

Why do you say so, did you repeat year 12. Please don't let that discourage you, universities will consider you and in this situation there really isn't any thing to lose by applying.
Original post by Cherry82
Why do you say so, did you repeat year 12. Please don't let that discourage you, universities will consider you and in this situation there really isn't any thing to lose by applying.

Nope I am looking to repeat year 13.Did pretty well in year 12!
i re-sat year 12, now have an offer from Leeds
best thing i ever did
Nope I am looking to repeat year 13.Did pretty well in year 12!

And as every poster on this thread has said: it isn't a problem with the exceptions of a v small number of unis and a few subjects
Original post by PQ
And as every poster on this thread has said: it isn't a problem with the exceptions of a v small number of unis and a few subjects

What about Warwick,UCL,Cambridge?I'd apply for Economics again!

See with Warwick yes because I really do know people who repeated their first years and got in. And I'm talking about with courses like engineering. I don't know if engineering is as competitive as economics or how they would view you towards economics. I think you should call the university. With Cambridge, oxbridge it really is a different story. When people say it's not going to happen, it isn't that they are trying to put you down but you have to consider that these are VERY competitive areas. There are students who are will be smashing their A levels first time round, with more experience etc. Also they do not give their spaces to Uk students only, it's international students too so everyone is competing for the same positions. You can still apply and I really think you should as in my school a guy finished his A levels at 19 and got into Cambridge but he did something to do with classics. He used to have behavioural problems but changed and he came from a really unprivileged background, I mean to the point where he literally had to work so hard just to come to lessons.

Cambridge isn't everything, it's fantatsic from what I've heard and I think they provide great opportunities. If you get in after everything, as who knows, we need to consider A level reforms too etc amazing but if not you could still get into good universities just work really hard. You don't have to re-sit your second year too. Results day isn't here yet. You could just work hard in A2 but it may mean you may not get into the places you want. You could though by taking a gap year and resitting modules maybe.
(edited 8 years ago)

If you read up the thread then cam are generally not happy about resitting whole years withough extenuating circumstances. They explain this on their website.

As for warwick and ucl - have a look on their websites or get in touch with them to ask directly if they don't say so explicitly.
A friend who resat Year 12 has an offer from Warwick for Maths.
Original post by PQ
If you read up the thread then cam are generally not happy about resitting whole years withough extenuating circumstances. They explain this on their website.

As for warwick and ucl - have a look on their websites or get in touch with them to ask directly if they don't say so explicitly.

Ah alright!Thanks for your help :smile:
I'd contact all the unis!

Quick Reply

Latest