The Student Room Group

Car won't go into first gear

Didn't put my clutch fully down, heard a grinding noise and now my car wont go into 1 even if i force it. help?!?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will it go into any gear or just not first?

Make / Model and year of production is also important to state when asking for technical help on a car as it has a bearing on the advice you will be given.
Reply 2
Original post by JC.

Make / Model and year of production is also important to state when asking for technical help on a car as it has a bearing on the advice you will be given.

Original post by Naher007
Didn't put my clutch fully down, heard a grinding noise and now my car wont go into 1 even if i force it. help?!?!

Head gasket is blown, hence e restriting airmass flow estricting air from head bolts to warp, thus cracking the head

Or

Bad clutch or obvious gearbox faults
Original post by Homeboy
Head gasket is blown, hence e restriting airmass flow estricting air from head bolts to warp, thus cracking the head

Just... no.
Reply 4
Original post by CurlyBen
Just... no.

huh?

I should know, I am a mechanic apprentice and have been for the last 2 days up until 3 years
Original post by Homeboy
huh?

I should know, I am a mechanic apprentice and have been for the last 2 days up until 3 years

What?!

"My car won't go into first gear..."

"Ah yes, must be the head gasket!"

You're obviously heading straight for a career at Kwik Fit.
Reply 6
Original post by JC.

just first, everything else is fine. VW Golf 1.6 FSI S 54 plate
Reply 7
The first port of call would be gear linkage bushings or linkage adjustment.

Is it a mk4? (looks like this: )

Apparently 2004 was the last model year so it's conceivable that you may have a super early mk5.

If so, here's a thread discussing difficult selection of first/reverse and the consensus seems to be that changing the gearbox oil works wonders, as does adjusting (or possibly replacing) parts of the linkage.

According to this thread, you can grease up the linkage to help with stiff shifting.

Should be fairly easy with a couple of spanners and a mate to sit inside the car and select different gears so you can see what's going on under the bonnet! Also, Google works wonders for this kinda thing :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by shaymarriott
What?!

"My car won't go into first gear..."

"Ah yes, must be the head gasket!"

You're obviously heading straight for a career at Kwik Fit.

Been there, done that, had the T shirt ( think I still have the shirt upstairs in my wardrobe)

I now work for Westgate tyres so.................
Original post by Homeboy
Been there, done that, had the T shirt ( think I still have the shirt upstairs in my wardrobe)

I now work for Westgate tyres so.................

I rest my case.
Reply 10
Original post by Nuffles
The first port of call would be gear linkage bushings or linkage adjustment.

Good call.
Golfs are known for going through linkage bushes. I suppose it's possible you've shaved a few teeth of the first gear set through forcing it in, but it'd make sense to check the consumables first.

Although worth checking the clutch cable is correctly adjusted. I believe it's a cable on golfs and not hydraulic? It certainly is on a first gen Audi TT which is supposedly the same thing?
Reply 11
Original post by Homeboy
huh?

Go on then... explain the link between a head gasket and a clutch. :rolleyes:

Obvious troll is obvious...
Reply 12
Original post by JC.
Go on then... explain the link between a head gasket and a clutch. :rolleyes:

Obvious troll is obvious...

Obvious troll is OBLIVIOUS

Could do but cannot be bothered
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Homeboy
Obvious troll is OBLIVIOUS

Could do but cannot be bothered

1 of 2 options.

1) You're either trolling this kid who just wants a bit of help which makes you a dickhead.

2) You actually believe the crap you wrote which means the dickhead "apprentice" needs to go back to school.

Either way you cut it, you end up being a dickhead.
Ooh dear, you might have buggered something.
Does it make any particular noise when you try to put it in 1st?
Reply 15
Original post by XMaramena
Ooh dear, you might have buggered something.
Does it make any particular noise when you try to put it in 1st?

''Ooh dear''. Lol

You sound like an old woman, but I love it
Original post by Homeboy
huh?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that after nearly 3 years as an apprentice mechanic you really should know the function of a head gasket? If so, agreed, but it appears you don't. Or are you saying that you're giving crap advice because you've spent that time as an apprentice?

Just a bit of friendly advice: if you need to try and play top trumps with qualifications to back up what you've said, chances are it's not worth saying.
Reply 17
IMG_20150512_224006.jpg
Original post by JC.
1 of 2 options.

1) You're either trolling this kid who just wants a bit of help which makes you a dickhead.

2) You actually believe the crap you wrote which means the dickhead "apprentice" needs to go back to school.

Either way you cut it, you end up being a dickhead.

Hi, would you like the phone number of my mechanic boss so that you may called him a dickhead too?
BTW he is 6'3 tall weight 17 stone and goes tlifting at tbebgumnasium i
Original post by CurlyBen
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that after nearly 3 years as an apprentice mechanic you really should know the function of a head gasket? If so, agreed, but it appears you don't. Or are you saying that you're giving crap advice because you've spent that time as an apprentice?

Just a bit of friendly advice: if you need to try and play top trumps with qualifications to back up what you've said, chances are it's not worth saying.
Original post by Homeboy
''Ooh dear''. Lol

You sound like an old woman, but I love it

I might be on the wrong side of 50 and using rollers in my hair, but I certainly wouldn't say that I'm "old". :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by XMaramena
I might be on the wrong side of 50 and using rollers in my hair, but I certainly wouldn't say that I'm "old". :wink:

It just sounded so daft - but I love it

Thanks Grandma

Quick Reply

Latest