The Student Room Group

Joint or single honours for psychology?

Okay, so I'm just finishing my AS year.. I've been studying psychology, biology, chemistry and history (and predicted ABBC)

I would really like to pursue a career in psychology. But I was wondering what the difference was between a joint or single honours degree in psychology?

Are there any differences in workload? Is one more respectable than the other? Could I still do a MSc or PhD afterwards? Thank you :biggrin: x
Original post by Porcupayne
Okay, so I'm just finishing my AS year.. I've been studying psychology, biology, chemistry and history (and predicted ABBC)

I would really like to pursue a career in psychology. But I was wondering what the difference was between a joint or single honours degree in psychology?

Are there any differences in workload? Is one more respectable than the other? Could I still do a MSc or PhD afterwards? Thank you :biggrin: x

What do you want to do a joint honors with?

The biggest benefit is that Joint degrees give you more breadth, whether you wanted to do inter-disciplinary work in biological or social sciences, or if you just wanted to do something completely different. Some people may not like the idea of only studying one subject for 3 years.

From friends who did joint degrees they say it can be slightly harder when you do two modules, since you take the same modules that others from the single-honors course, however the people who do the single honors will have a greater wider knowledge of the course since they're only studying one thing. It shouldn't make a huge difference though, many modules are kind of self-contained.

On the post grad question: there are few/no limits on who can do MsC's - univerisities love Msc students since they bring in moneys and are like cheap labour for professors to carry out experiments. Your degree needs to be BPS accredited to become a professional psychologist. Similarly you can do a PhD in psychology with any degree (even if its not in psychology).
Original post by iammichealjackson
What do you want to do a joint honors with?

The biggest benefit is that Joint degrees give you more breadth, whether you wanted to do inter-disciplinary work in biological or social sciences, or if you just wanted to do something completely different. Some people may not like the idea of only studying one subject for 3 years.

From friends who did joint degrees they say it can be slightly harder when you do two modules, since you take the same modules that others from the single-honors course, however the people who do the single honors will have a greater wider knowledge of the course since they're only studying one thing. It shouldn't make a huge difference though, many modules are kind of self-contained.

On the post grad question: there are few/no limits on who can do MsC's - univerisities love Msc students since they bring in moneys and are like cheap labour for professors to carry out experiments. Your degree needs to be BPS accredited to become a professional psychologist. Similarly you can do a PhD in psychology with any degree (even if its not in psychology).

Thank you for the reply!!

I would probably combine it with something like human biology (I love science)..
Would you consider the career prospects to be similar? It seems like becoming a professional psychologist is a difficult career to get into nowadays :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Porcupayne
Thank you for the reply!!

I would probably combine it with something like human biology (I love science)..
Would you consider the career prospects to be similar? It seems like becoming a professional psychologist is a difficult career to get into nowadays :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what career you want to get into. Many jobs don't require a specific degree, and I don't think they would see much difference. It would only really be an advantage if your applying for PhDs which may like more of a biological background, and of course if you like both subjects you will be happier too! I don't think it would matter much if you did want to be a professional psychologist, it worth applying for courses that are BPS accredited anyway, so you don't lose that option.

Quick Reply

Latest