The Student Room Group

Homosexuality... The truth

Homosexuality was used in a lot of political activities to get that extra vote to win election. Consequently the amount of bias about this sexuality is huge.

In 1973, the board of the American Psychiatric Association voted to remove homosexuality from the list of mental disorders (DSM-II). This decision was confirmed in 1974 by a vote of all the members of the APA by a small margin (58%).

There is a heated debate about the reasons for this decision.Although by 1973 there were specific scientific evidence showing the absence of internal relation of homosexuality and pathology (for example, a study of Evelyn Hooker), however, critics argue that the exclusion of homosexuality from the list of diseases is the result of political pressure groups, gay activists, and not the result of research studies.
In 1970, members of the organization Gay Liberation Front disrupt the conference APA, booing psychiatrists who considered homosexuality a disease.
Nevertheless, this decision marks the beginning of the official recognition of the existence of various forms of sexual orientation and resulted in an increase of liberal tolerance towards gays in Western society.
Many other associations of psychiatrists and psychologists in the world soon followed the example of the American Association. In 1992, homosexuality is no longer considered a disease. in 1994 - the British government in 1999 - the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, and in 2001 - Society of Psychiatrists in China.
From 1 January 1999, the official Russian psychiatrists adopted the International Classification of Disease - ICD-10 sanctioned by the World Health Organisation. According to the modern propagandists of pederasty, ICD-10, operating in most countries of the EU and the former Soviet republics, is not seen as a mental illness, but in reality as many as three sections of ICD-10 (F-64, F-65 and F-66 ) contain diagnoses of pederasty in a patient.Although there is no formal and separate section of "pederasty" in ICD-10 it does not mean that sodomy has been regarded as the norm in psychiatry.

In the framework of modern official American, European and Russian psychiatry and psychology:sexual orientation, unlike sexual behavior - is not the subject of a conscious choice.

Scroll to see replies

Well one things for sure. People are not consistent in their values, sense of right and wrong and code of behaviour. Both positions can't be right so there is a tendency for people to say we are moving away from the dark past to an enlightened future. The theory of "progression"; constant change which is ever improving.

I don't buy it. What seems good or bad is the effect of filters. These filters have often been created by powerful groups for example we can't ignore the Frankfurt School and its influence, the Club of Rome, or the Tavistock Institute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by CycleofSpin
Well one things for sure. People are not consistent in their values, sense of right and wrong and code of behaviour. Both positions can't be right so there is a tendency for people to say we are moving away from the dark past to an enlightened future. The theory of "progression"; constant change which is ever improving.

I don't buy it. What seems good or bad is the effect of filters. These filters have often been created by powerful groups for example we can't ignore the Frankfurt School and its influence, the Club of Rome, or the Tavistock Institute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that west is not consistent in their values, Look at Canada, pedophilia is now a sexual orientation out there :headfire:
In my opinion Orthodox Christianity helped Russia to preserve the values which makes them one of the most moral nations in the world.

Lots of european leaders are now starting to use Putin's code - to look at homosexuality as non traditional, rather than integrating homosexuality to heterosexual society

I cannot understand about effect of filters =(
Original post by DaniilKaya

In 1970, members of the organization Gay Liberation Front disrupt the conference APA, booing psychiatrists who considered homosexuality a disease.
Nevertheless, this decision marks the beginning of the official recognition of the existence of various forms of sexual orientation and resulted in an increase of liberal tolerance towards gays in Western society.

...and this has only continued ever since.
Homosexuality was used in a lot of political activities to get that extra vote to win election. Consequently the amount of bias about this sexuality is huge.

In 1973, the board of the American Psychiatric Association voted to remove homosexuality from the list of mental disorders (DSM-II). This decision was confirmed in 1974 by a vote of all the members of the APA by a small margin (58%).

There is a heated debate about the reasons for this decision.Although by 1973 there were specific scientific evidence showing the absence of internal relation of homosexuality and pathology (for example, a study of Evelyn Hooker), however, critics argue that the exclusion of homosexuality from the list of diseases is the result of political pressure groups, gay activists, and not the result of research studies.
Many other associations of psychiatrists and psychologists in the world soon followed the example of the American Association. In 1992, homosexuality is no longer considered a disease. in 1994 - the British government in 1999 - the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, and in 2001 - Society of Psychiatrists in China.
From 1 January 1999, the official Russian psychiatrists adopted the International Classification of Disease - ICD-10 sanctioned by the World Health Organisation. According to the modern propagandists of pederasty, ICD-10, operating in most countries of the EU and the former Soviet republics, is not seen as a mental illness, but in reality as many as three sections of ICD-10 (F-64, F-65 and F-66 ) contain diagnoses of pederasty in a patient.Although there is no formal and separate section of "pederasty" in ICD-10 it does not mean that sodomy has been regarded as the norm in psychiatry.

In the framework of modern official American, European and Russian psychiatry and psychology:sexual orientation, unlike sexual behavior - is not the subject of a conscious choice.

So..... what?

People classified homosexuality as a disease in the past but today they no longer do so. Thank you for the information, but what's your point?
Original post by SHallowvale
So..... what?

People classified homosexuality as a disease in the past but today they no longer do so. Thank you for the information, but what's your point?

He can answer for himself, but I thought the point was pretty clear, particulary here:

"Although there is no formal and separate section of "pederasty" in ICD-10 it does not mean that sodomy has been regarded as the norm in psychiatry."

To draw a parallel based on all the info provided - homosexuality is only regarded as the norm because it has become 'socially' acceptable, over a period of 40+ years (all the detail is in the OP).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lt.Hartigan
He can answer for himself, but I thought the point was pretty clear, particulary here:

"Although there is no formal and separate section of "pederasty" in ICD-10 it does not mean that sodomy has been regarded as the norm in psychiatry."

To draw a parallel based on all the info provided - homosexuality is only regarded as the norm because it has become 'socially' acceptable, over a period of 40+ years (all the detail is in the OP).

Ok, but again I'm not sure what your point is.

Homosexuality is now a socially acceptable thing, correct. Homosexuality is no longer considered a disease, correct. Homosexual practices are now considered normal, correct. You're simply stating facts.

Are you trying to conclude something?

Homosexuality is now a socially acceptable thing, correct. Homosexuality is no longer considered a disease, correct. Homosexual practices are now considered normal, correct. You're simply stating facts.

The OP is not mine, but I think that simply was the point.

However, the OP can hopefully come along and confirm.
Original post by Lt.Hartigan
The OP is not mine, but I think that simply was the point.

However, the OP can hopefully come along and confirm.

Yeah but when they've said ''...the truth'' it sounds like they'll reveal something dark and secret and life changing.

I'm pretty sure most people know that homosexuality was once a taboo thing.
Reply 9
Ok, but again I'm not sure what your point is.

Are you trying to conclude something?

Homosexuality is now a socially acceptable thing, correct.

It is socially acceptable for the moment and because of political and gay activist pressure,and only in the West. Research is still going on.

Homosexuality is no longer considered a disease, correct.

Homosexuality is not considered a DISEASE, but is not proven that it is/is not a DISORDER

Homosexual practices are now considered normal, correct.

Homosexual practice = sodomy is officially not normal

My position is - homosexuality happens in nature but it does not mean that it is normal.

And also, mostly religious people considered homosexuality - disease.Science at the moment tries to work out if it is a disorder or not
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
So..... what?

"People" <- who? West?

"but in reality as many as three sections of ICD-10 (F-64, F-65 and F-66 ) contain diagnoses of pederasty in a patient."

Officially, diagnoses exists which makes pederasty a mental disorder
I think that west is not consistent in their values, Look at Canada, pedophilia is now a sexual orientation out there :headfire:
In my opinion Orthodox Christianity helped Russia to preserve the values which makes them one of the most moral nations in the world.

Lots of european leaders are now starting to use Putin's code - to look at homosexuality as non traditional, rather than integrating homosexuality to heterosexual society

I cannot understand about effect of filters =(

Don't lie to me, is it really?! :ahhhhh:
Reply 12
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Don't lie to me, is it really?! :ahhhhh:

I am Russian. I hate lies

It is not officially, but there is a process just same like the process with homosexuality in the past
(edited 8 years ago)
"People" <- who? West?

"but in reality as many as three sections of ICD-10 (F-64, F-65 and F-66 ) contain diagnoses of pederasty in a patient."

Officially, diagnoses exists which makes pederasty a mental disorder

Ok, but I am not talking about pederasty I am talking about homosexuality. And no, not all homosexuals have an erotic interest in young boys.

My position is - homosexuality happens in nature but it does not mean that it is normal.

And also, mostly religious people considered homosexuality - disease.Science at the moment tries to work out if it is a disorder or not

Who cares if homosexuality is considered normal or a disorder? Why should it matter?

I dislike jumping to conclusions but it seems pretty obvious where you are trying to go with this. To cut the crap and keep it short: do you think homosexuality should be tolerated?
Homosexuality is now a socially acceptable thing, correct.

It is socially acceptable for the moment and because of political and gay activist pressure,and only in the West. Research is still going on.

Homosexuality is no longer considered a disease, correct.

Homosexuality is not considered a DISEASE, but is not proven that it is/is not a DISORDER

Homosexual practices are now considered normal, correct.

Homosexual practice = sodomy is officially not normal

You are confused. Homosexuality is held to not be a disorder and has never been considered a 'disease' as such.

More than that you fail to realize that pederasty is different and separate from both homosexuality and sodomy. Sodomy itself is not a diagnosable mental illness in any authority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HigherMinion
Homosexuality is a negative consequence of moral relativism. "I identify as x therefore I am", which cannot be empirically proven. This makes it a mental disorder, considering it is both not the norm nor beneficial to the individual.

Unless it is harmful it is not a disorder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
You are confused. Homosexuality is held to not be a disorder and has never been considered a 'disease' as such.

The OP will probably try to justify it by saying something like, ''a disorder is human condition that is uncommon, homosexuality is uncommon therefore homosexuality is a disorder'', and because disorders are considered bad things homosexuality is also bad....

...of course forgetting that the disorders most people talk about are considered bad because they have demonstrable negative impacts on a persons day to day life. EG schizophrenia and anxiety.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Unless it is harmful it is not a disorder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Harmful to who?
Harmful to who?

The sexual orientation itself must be harmful to either the person whom has that quality or someone else.
edit: note this cannot be on an abstract level but on the individual level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Homosexuality is a negative consequence of moral relativism. "I identify as x therefore I am", which cannot be empirically proven. This makes it a mental disorder, considering it is both not the norm nor beneficial to the individual.

Which health organisations/institutions in the world use that definition of ''mental disorder''?

As a side note, I identify as white therefore I am. Woops, guess white is a mental disorder. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending