The Student Room Group

"Jihadi threat requires move into 'private space' of UK Muslims"

It would make sense to ask this here as this is a student forum, but today it was announced that plans are being made to monitor the private space of all young Muslims.

The private space they refer to will be "anything from walking down the road, looking at a mobile, to someone in a bedroom surfing the net, to someone in a shisha cafe talking about things.”"

How do young Muslims feel about these plans?

Scroll to see replies

Here's the link to the story...http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/24/jihadi-threat-requires-move-into-private-space-of-uk-muslims-says-police-chief

Considering the current legislation and plans....I do slightly doubt that they would consider going this far. It just seems like his own opinion on the matter.

It would be extremely worrying if they did, many Muslims already feel marginalised as it is and this would simply add to that, this level of marginalisation and added with the obvious lack of privacy and state interference of peoples private lives and beliefs would cause eventual tensions and add fuel to the fire, leading to more potential "extremism\terrorism".
Reply 2
Original post by Xin Xang
It would make sense to ask this here as this is a student forum, but today it was announced that plans are being made to monitor the private space of all young Muslims.

The private space they refer to will be "anything from walking down the road, looking at a mobile, to someone in a bedroom surfing the net, to someone in a shisha cafe talking about things.”"

well the muslim community is not very open. its very insular and withdrawn. attitudes towards the state are very ambivalent and hostile.

when muslim community leaders were approached to tackle the grooming gangs they refused.

its difficult for the police to operate in a non cooperative and antagonistic community.

not one terrorist has been outed by their own community.

so more invasive measures are needed.

which needless to say will only give them more of a victim mentality and belief that they are under "fitnah" and that they can therefore do even more crazy things than they are already doing.
Original post by Iqbal007
Here's the link to the story...http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/24/jihadi-threat-requires-move-into-private-space-of-uk-muslims-says-police-chief

Considering the current legislation and plans....I do slightly doubt that they would consider going this far. It just seems like his own opinion on the matter.

It would be extremely worrying if they did, many Muslims already feel marginalised as it is and this would simply add to that, this level of marginalisation and added with the obvious lack of privacy and state interference of peoples private lives and beliefs would cause eventual tensions and add fuel to the fire, leading to more potential "extremism\terrorism".

this is the way the world is going - not just in uk - islam is finding new ways of driving a wedge between modern civilisation and islamic societies, and ultimatly muslim populations and non muslims. the officer in question is britains highest ranking muslim police chief and he admits he is worried about the influence of islamic doctrine on his own kids.

in reality muslim parents in the uk certainly have no clue what there kids are up to in their bedrooms or who they are chatting to on the internet, and they are being inspired to commit attrocites and criminal acts , all inspired by islamic doctrine. so hes right to be concerned.

other ethnic and religious groups have come here before and after muslims and have not been 'marginalised' or distanced from normal society to the same extent - the difference is the damaging influence of islam on the latter

the best way to tackle this is to make the parents accountable ( by threatening them with prison if need be ) and extra monitoring on muslim youth, particualr their online communications - TSRs Isoc would be a good start.
These plans are necessary for muslims however not for the rest of the population!
Original post by Mick.w
well the muslim community is not very open. its very insular and withdrawn. attitudes towards the state are very ambivalent and hostile.

when muslim community leaders were approached to tackle the grooming gangs they refused.

its difficult for the police to operate in a non cooperative and antagonistic community.

which needless to say will only give them more of a victim mentality and belief that they are under "fitnah" and that they can therefore do even more crazy things than they are already doing.

Everything you said is wrong. The muslim youth and community depending on where you live is very open, the one in my area is extremely open and friendly! The grooming gangs? Is that our problem? Why does every Muslim criminal have to result to us being segregated and accused? Rape is Haraam in Islam how are we suppose to deal with the grooming gangs? If it was our choice they would get the death penalty. There are many people who report radicalised youth, my friend did a week ago actually. You know nothing, take it from someone who is within a Muslim community! You know nothing. How hard we try to keep our youth and ourselves on the straight path while being completely segregated and isolated from society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bill_Gates
These plans are necessary for muslims however not for the rest of the population!

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xin Xang

I feel embarrassed that this is even a thing. No doubt, they should monitor the youth who are at risk of radicalisation and they should have alert tags on the Internet, they should definitely monitor the Internet use. However, to say they will be cracking down on Muslims and they will be generalising no matter the person, it's quite disgusting and in fact I feel threatened and segregated from society. Just because I am Muslim, I am a suspect and I don't deserve my privacy. That's amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

because they are specifically the sorts of people most likely to become exposed to islamic dogmas
Original post by Mick.w

And cringe because you used Fitnah in the wrong sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Just read the article.

I think celebrating Christmas is haram, I don't shop at M&S and never will, and of course I have a negative attitude towards alcohol.

What are they going to do about it :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Just read the article.

I think celebrating Christmas is haram, I don't shop at M&S and never will, and of course I have a negative attitude towards alcohol.

What are they going to do about it :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking the same thing! Christmas is forbidden for us, I don't shop at M&S because of the BDS movement, like lol! How ridiculous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
its not that deep
Original post by Reformed
your private space is to be entered

And mine. Tbh all they are going to find is illegally downloaded anime, go ahead. And I will never shop at M&S because of the BDS movement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudentOkay
And mine. Tbh all they are going to find is illegally downloaded anime, go ahead. And I will never shop at M&S because of the BDS movement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

strictly speaking , your anime is unislamic and contravenes mohammeds ruling on pictures / images - good cover story
strictly speaking , your anime is unislamic and contravenes mohammeds ruling on pictures / images - good cover story

Actually there is a difference in opinion, pictures can be interpreted into status and me watching it it's not forbidden, taking pictures of creatures is forbidden. Muhammed صلى الله عليه وسلم did talk about pictures you are right. However the opinion differs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually there is a difference in opinion, pictures can be interpreted into status and me watching it it's not forbidden, taking pictures of creatures is forbidden. Muhammed صلى الله عليه وسلم did talk about pictures you are right. However the opinion differs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

peoples opinion is irrelevant , its mohammeds opinion that matters islamically, which was to ban for muslims all images of living things ( not just animals)
peoples opinion is irrelevant , its mohammeds opinion that matters islamically, which was to ban for muslims all images of living things ( not just animals)

Pictures as in anime did not exist in the time of the Prophet, so how can you be sure. The Islamic scholarly opinion differs, some people say the making of statutes because people use to make statutes and pray to them in His time however now it's applied to pixelated images too because when asked if we can bring it to life, we can't. It's forbidden to take pictures yes, but not to watch something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pictures as in anime did not exist in the time of the Prophet, so how can you be sure. The Islamic scholarly opinion differs, some people say the making of statutes because people use to make statutes and pray to them in His time however now it's applied to pixelated images too because when asked if we can bring it to life, we can't. It's forbidden to take pictures yes, but not to watch something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

pictures in general existed in his time - thats how he banned them . in islamic terms all known forms of image were banned, from drawing to statues and embrodiery. anime is more of an image than a cushion. ( mohammed went ape when he saw someone had a cushion in their house with a sewn picture on it)
Reply 19
your private space is to be entered

Yeah I'd like to see them try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest