The Student Room Group

How are men supposed to consume 2500 cals per day?

Bit unrealistic tbh 2500cals divided by breakfast lunch and dinner? Even if you have a snack it still wouldnt add up to 2.5k cals.. unlesd ur eating mcdonalds all day long

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Breakfast:
2 slices of wholemeal toast (100 calories each) + 2 tbsp peanut butter (200) = 400 calories

Lunch:
Grilled chicken breast (140) + avocado salad: avocado (322), half a cup sweetcorn (66), 3 spring onion stalks (21), half bell pepper (12), 1 cup crushed walnuts (183), any kind of lettuce (5) and honey lemon dressing (45) = 794 calories

Dinner:
Chilli con carne (4 servings worth): 400g beef mince (1008), 2 cans of kidney beans (504), 2 bell peppers (48), 2 medium onions (92), knorr beef stock (5) 1 can chopped tomatoes (90), 2 cloves garlic (8), 4 tbps tomato purée (80), 1 can chickpeas (150), assorted spices (cumin, paprika etc negligible calories) = 1985/4 = 496 calories + 2cups brown rice cooked (437) = 933 calories total

Snacks/drinks

Smoothie: 1 banana (89), 1 cup strawberries (49), 1/2 cup greek yoghurt (95) = 234 calories

15 almonds (30g) = 160 calories

Days total =2521

It's pretty easy to pack in calories dense foods into your diet. If you need quick calories nuts like almonds, peanuts and walnuts are the way to go. You can snack on them throughout the day and they are very calories dense.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
Breakfast:
2 slices of wholemeal toast (100 calories each) + 2 tbsp peanut butter (200) = 400 calories

Lunch:
Grilled chicken breast (140) + avocado salad: avocado (322), half a cup sweetcorn (66), 3 spring onion stalks (21), half bell pepper (12), 1 cup crushed walnuts (183), any kind of lettuce (5) and honey lemon dressing (45) = 794 calories

Dinner:
Chilli con carne (4 servings worth): 400g beef mince (1008), 2 cans of kidney beans (504), 2 bell peppers (48), 2 medium onions (92), knorr beef stock (5) 1 can chopped tomatoes (90), 2 cloves garlic (8), 4 tbps tomato purée (80), 1 can chickpeas (150), assorted spices (cumin, paprika etc negligible calories) = 1985/4 = 496 calories + 2cups brown rice cooked (437) = 933 calories total

Snacks/drinks

Smoothie: 1 banana (89), 1 cup strawberries (49), 1/2 cup greek yoghurt (95) = 234 calories

15 almonds (30g) = 160 calories

Days total =2521

It's pretty easy to pack in calories dense foods into your diet. If you need quick calories nuts like almonds, peanuts and walnuts are the way to go. You can snack on them throughout the day and they are very calories dense.

But I mean for the average man who doesn't calorie count. Your menu isnt standard for the average man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
But I mean for the average man who doesn't calorie count. Your menu isnt standard for the average man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You asked how men are supposed to do it, I gave you an answer. The average man could easily count calories, but by your account the average man simply cannot be arsed.

If someone is that concerned about not eating enough they'd use their brain and figure out how much the're eating.

After a while it's not even a chore to count calories, I barely have to look up food calories when cooking any more because I've learnt how many calories are in most ingredients.
fairly easily if you just eat alot lol
Reply 5
You guys are madder than a bag of snakes.It's way too easy to eat 2500 calories.
I assume you're asking for bodybuilding purposes?

I added about 20kg (50% fat, 50% muscle) within 6-7 months when I started. I admit I had four meals a day (breakfast, lunch in school, dinner after school, dinner after workout), and they were all meat and side (rice, potatoes etc.) but at no point did I ever count calories.

It's very easy to just 'wing' your diet and end up with enough food to bulk (although 2500 kcal is too little).
Reply 7
Go to MacDonalds :smile:
Reply 8
Was on 3100-3500 calories a day (Bodybuilding) for 8 months. That was good eating.

Now I'm on around 2550... I'm thinking more along the lines of how do people eat so little? O_O! It's like starving.
Original post by WRZT!123!
Go to MacDonalds :smile:

Oh yeah, fast food :smile: Once ended close to 3k calories in 1 meal at KFC. It was the bucket menu. No regrets!
Original post by T.I.P
Bit unrealistic tbh 2500cals divided by breakfast lunch and dinner? Even if you have a snack it still wouldnt add up to 2.5k cals.. unlesd ur eating mcdonalds all day long

Posted from TSR Mobile

What;s the big deal?

I can eat like a pig no problem. Eat eat eat. Food is great.
Original post by SophieSmall
You asked how men are supposed to do it, I gave you an answer. The average man could easily count calories, but by your account the average man simply cannot be arsed.

If someone is that concerned about not eating enough they'd use their brain and figure out how much the're eating.

After a while it's not even a chore to count calories, I barely have to look up food calories when cooking any more because I've learnt how many calories are in most ingredients.

To b honest that is probably correct :tongue: I've never attempted to work out how much calories I eat, I just eat when I am hungry and try to eat mixture of healthy stuff and junk food. Has been working up to now. I'm 6ft 3 and weigh 11 stone and can cycle up steep hills ok :yes::nod:
(edited 8 years ago)
eat 6 meals a day instead...

9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm
Original post by ALevelBro
I assume you're asking for bodybuilding purposes?

I added about 20kg (50% fat, 50% muscle) within 6-7 months when I started. I admit I had four meals a day (breakfast, lunch in school, dinner after school, dinner after workout), and they were all meat and side (rice, potatoes etc.) but at no point did I ever count calories.

It's very easy to just 'wing' your diet and end up with enough food to bulk (although 2500 kcal is too little).

50% fat? what was your BF% at the end of your bulk?
Junk food!
Reply 15
If you eat your hallowed full English breakfast each morning, that's at least 1,000 calories knocked out and you're only an hour or two into the day
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
To b honest that is probably correct :tongue: I've never attempted to work out how much calories I eat, I just eat when I am hungry and try to eat mixture of healthy stuff and junk food. Has been working up to now. I'm 6ft 3 and weigh 11 stone and can cycle up steep hills ok :yes::nod:

It's true for most people, not just men. Generally people can be pretty good at estimating and trying to be healthy.

But I just found it so ridiculous how OP asked how it could be done, I gave an answer but because it involved a tiny bit of counting it's suddenly not a viable solution. It quite clearly showed he wasn't looking for answers, just for someone to agree with his bull****.
Original post by Joshale
50% fat? what was your BF% at the end of your bulk?

I don't remember now, but I started at 65 kilos and ended at 85. Considering my starting BF was probably closer to 10% (whatever is average for a skinny guy), I'd say maybe 19%? It's a rough estimate but it sounds like a lot now that I think about it :smile:
If you can't eat your calories, drink them, its a lot easier. 2500 is easy to be honest
Visit "eatthismuch.com" a visit.

Quick Reply

Latest