The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Pretty Boy Floyd

It's a game of mathematics. Which was just a lazy metaphorical way of saying "It's a game of numbers." Which in turn is another lazy metaphor for "It's all down to luck".

Then I said,

"If your numbers don't add up" Which was just a lazy metaphorical way of saying "If you haven't got any luck"

Then I said "then you don't get admission"

It's all down to luck. If you haven't got any luck, then you don't get admission.

LSE get many applicants per year for the same places. What I was trying to say was, just because they admitted you the first time, it doesn't mean they will admit you the second time. And vice versa.

Okay... you've just proved yourself that your whole argument doesn't make sense! unless you're saying that luck and chance play a huge part in getting into LSE, but it has no part in getting admitted to oxford???
LSE don't interview, don't use LNAT, and are more oversubscribed. So, yes, LSE will logically require more luck than Oxford.
By the way, just incase someone sends me a snotty PM, the cello thing was not intended to be serious. :smile:
strawberry90
Okay... you've just proved yourself that your whole argument doesn't make sense! unless you're saying that luck and chance play a huge part in getting into LSE, but it has no part in getting admitted to oxford???

A lot less yes, cos of the interview.
Seriously strawberry person, get over yourself.

People get into Oxford all the time with much lower GCSEs than you. In fact, I would suggest that you had a lot less to prove in your interview than they did theirs, as your academic worth (which is very clear to us all by AAAAAA!!!) is very visible on paper. The other people have to prove their academic worth, while you just have to confirm yours (i.e., what seems to be apparent on paper). The interviewers you had have more than likely been interviewing for years, and will know how to pick a candidate. And if they think you're good enough for Oxford, they make you an open offer.
The fact that you didn't get in after two interviews already, and despite your academic results, suggests that Oxford is perhaps not the place for you. I'm not discrediting your ability at all, but people often have a much better 'experience' outside of Oxford, and do just as well. If you really think you're the best, then go to LSE, UCL, Durham or Nottingham and come top of the class. If that doesn't sort your career out, nothing will.

As a point, less than 50% of partners at Magic Circle firms are Oxbridge educated.
20% of barristers are not Oxbridge educated. Once you allow for the older generations and years of intake of barristers that are >90% Oxbridge, there is a very large number of non-Oxbridge-ers at the Bar.

Not being Oxbridge is not life-ending or career-destroying. People are aware of the fact that Law is bloody competitive, and that Oxbridge admissions are not perfect. People who are good enough and dedicated enough succeed. Look at Cherie Blair; the only person ever to first in every single module at LSE Law. Clearly good enough for Oxford; did just as well anyway and became a barrister.

Anyway, don't let the rejection get to you. I saw people get into Cambridge with much worse grades than me. But, I accept that they were probably far more suitable for the course, and take comfort that if I wasn't suitable for the course, the course would not have been suitable and enjoyable for me.

Just accept it, and good luck with LSE!!!
<50% is still not an encouraging figure! Is it really anywhere close to 50%, that seems massive!
I've got tables/charts/reports on the Oxbridge/non-Oxbridge divide in sets and firms at a top level, I'll try and find it for you.
There you go mate, everything you need to know within:

http://www.suttontrust.com/reports/Comparison_educational_backgrounds.pdf

http://www.lawbore.net/articles/access_denied.pdf

ps: You'll find the results of the MC/Bar survey thingy in the first one; I was rather surprised that MC partners were only 50% Oxbridge! Especially considering their earning potential!

pps: The results track right back to the age of 11! I.e. private/maintained.
Reply 68
ledzep4eva thanks for the advice, have decided i'm def gonna take LSE if i get it, tho those figures have brought my fear of all the oxbridge graduates getting alll the best jobs! thanks everyone though, even stickman! xXx
Reply 69
So what made you choose LSE in the end?
strawberry90
ledzep4eva thanks for the advice, have decided i'm def gonna take LSE if i get it, tho those figures have brought my fear of all the oxbridge graduates getting alll the best jobs! thanks everyone though, even stickman! xXx

You're welcome! Don't worry about it hun, I'm in a similar situation to you; going to a top law school but knowing that I'll have a tougher time getting to the Bar than if I'd have gone to Oxbridge. However, we have to look at the positive side of the facts and realise that if the 20% aren't coming from Oxbridge, then they'll be coming from the other top law schools; i.e. LSE and Durham. You gotta be realistic and just be pleased with what you've got; which isn't hard when we've got it as good as this!. I'm so bloody over the moon with Durham; I'm sure you will be if (/when:p: ) you get an LSE offer.
And it's only natural that Oxbridge grads get all the top jobs; after all, in 90% of cases they're the best students, and will make the best lawyers.
As an example of what a non-oxbridge grad can do, look at Lawz in the other thread. He went to KCL and works for the best paying law firm in London. My point exactly.
May I also enquire as to what made you change your mind...?
Whatever happens, good luck and I hope to see you at the Bar some day!
ledzep4eva
You're welcome! Don't worry about it hun, I'm in a similar situation to you; going to a top law school but knowing that I'll have a tougher time getting to the Bar than if I'd have gone to Oxbridge. However, we have to look at the positive side of the facts and realise that if the 20% aren't coming from Oxbridge, then they'll be coming from the other top law schools; i.e. LSE and Durham. You gotta be realistic and just be pleased with what you've got; which isn't hard when we've got it as good as this!. I'm so bloody over the moon with Durham; I'm sure you will be if (/when:p: ) you get an LSE offer.
And it's only natural that Oxbridge grads get all the top jobs; after all, in 90% of cases they're the best students, and will make the best lawyers.
As an example of what a non-oxbridge grad can do, look at Lawz in the other thread. He went to KCL and works for the best paying law firm in London. My point exactly.
May I also enquire as to what made you change your mind...?
Whatever happens, good luck and I hope to see you at the Bar some day!

I disagree well with the "Oxbridge students will make the best lawyers" thing...they may receive the "best" education but its what they may or may not do with it that makes them good lawyers.
Dark and Lovely
I disagree well with the "Oxbridge students will make the best lawyers" thing...they may receive the "best" education but its what they may or may not do with it that makes them good lawyers.

However, there is a reason other than elitism that 80% of the Bar is Oxbridge. It's a fact that it is, in the vast majority of cases, the bets students go to Oxbridge. These best students will often have the best degree results, and often make the best lawyers.

Sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean... would you elaborate cause it seems like a good point. Obviously, I am not suggesting everyone that goes to Oxbridge will definitely become a better lawyer, I am merely suggesting that people who go to Oxbridge usually have the potential to become the best lawyers around (if they so choose).
ledzep4eva
However, there is a reason other than elitism that 80% of the Bar is Oxbridge. It's a fact that it is, in the vast majority of cases, the bets students that go to Oxbridge. These best students will often have the best degree results, and often make the best lawyers.

Sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean... would you elaborate cause it seems like a good point. Obviously, I am not suggesting everyone that goes to Oxbridge will definitely become a better lawyer, I am merely suggesting that people who go to Oxbridge usually have the potential to become the best lawyers around (if they so choose).

I thought you meant your latter statement, that going to Oxbridge means you'll be a better lawyer...but the funny thing is-because Oxbridge students get more opportunity for jobs and so better experience they become better lawyers..who knows what the outcome would be if every graduate had the same opportunity at the Bar.
ledzep4eva
It's a fact that it is, in the vast majority of cases, the bets students go to Oxbridge.

Lol, oops, obviously not implying that Oxbridgers are chronic gamblers ,or that the unis are running secret bookies courses :lol:...
Dark and Lovely
I thought you meant your latter statement, that going to Oxbridge means you'll be a better lawyer...but the funny thing is-because Oxbridge students get more opportunity for jobs and so better experience they become better lawyers..who knows what the outcome would be if every graduate had the same opportunity at the Bar.

Nah, just saying that the people who go to Oxbridge will probably be the best lawyers anyway, regardless of where they go.
Reply 76
What made me make up my mind was firstly, reading all the stuff on here about rejection from oxford really not being the end of all excellent opportunitiew, secondly, speaking to a friend who reappplied and still got rejected a second time, and she said tht second time round it was so much worse and bcos she hadnt planned her gap year in advance properly she didnt use it that usefully and lastly, a friend of my mum who graduated from bath law i think i was and now earns a lot of money in london working as a barrister... goes to show that talent gets you a long way!! mostly likely further than what uni you went to. And also, elsewhere I think I'm also most likely to be working harder cos I'll be aiming for that first even if I don't get it in the end. Also have a durham offer tho I'm waiting on LSE too, so seems silly to reject the offers this year esp if I didnt get into oxford, d'ham OR LSE nxt year!! and even if I took a gap year don't think I could deal with the lack of peace of mind of not knowing where I was going! and also, I know I think it was stickman who sed you dint get it cos you WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH, and i know he was just bein mean, but maybe there's truth in that! :biggrin:

...so hope that answers the question!
Well done on your decision. Now, the commonplace decision of Durham or LSE (if you get the offer, which, tbh, you probably will)...

Which college at Durham btw?
Personally I think I was a fair bit more subtle than that, but I'm pleased that you've seen the sense in not reapplying.
Reply 79
hatfield.... yes, i'm too lazy to walk to the centre of the city! :biggrin: if I get LSE tho, it'll just turn into a whether i like the North or South best cos they're both really good!!

Latest

Trending

Trending