The Student Room Group

Biology and History

Does anyone do Biology and History for AS? They're two subjects that i'd really like to do next year but after speaking my brother I've been slightly afraid to do so as he told me of two people that did both subjects in his year and ended up failing both despite being quite clever generally.

I'm quite worried and don't want the same thing happen to me. I know it all depends on each person's own ability and all but it does still worry me.

My school do Edexcel for history and OCR for biology- is it possible for me to get As in both subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iffattmirza
Does anyone do Biology and History for AS? They're two subjects that i'd really like to do next year but after speaking my brother I've been slightly afraid to do so as he told me of two people that did both subjects in his year and ended up failing both despite being quite clever generally.

I'm quite worried and don't want the same thing happen to me. I know it all depends on each person's own ability and all but it does still worry me.

My school do Edexcel for history and OCR for biology- is it possible for me to get As in both subjects?

It's definitely possible, however from my understanding they both require different methods of teaching and learning to do well in. Biology will require a lot more understanding of mechanisms and concepts, as well as a lot of practice questions and exams. History (I didn't do history at A-level, but here's my 2 cents) is a lot more reading and coursework based. You'll need to do a lot of essays and memorising to do well, which is considerably different to succeeding in biology. Some people will struggle with the workload, others could cope very well if they are enthusiastic about studying both subjects in their spare time.

I do a degree in both and find it perfectly manageable! I also did both at AS and whilst I didn't get an A in biology, it was more a case of not revising enough. It's definitely possible :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
I do a degree in both and find it perfectly manageable! I also did both at AS and whilst I didn't get an A in biology, it was more a case of not revising enough. It's definitely possible :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much! i think i will take both and hopefully i will be able to cope
Reply 4
Original post by Eloades11
It's definitely possible, however from my understanding they both require different methods of teaching and learning to do well in. Biology will require a lot more understanding of mechanisms and concepts, as well as a lot of practice questions and exams. History (I didn't do history at A-level, but here's my 2 cents) is a lot more reading and coursework based. You'll need to do a lot of essays and memorising to do well, which is considerably different to succeeding in biology. Some people will struggle with the workload, others could cope very well if they are enthusiastic about studying both subjects in their spare time.

you make a very good point, thank you
Reply 5
I do both biology and history at A2,and well let me just say both subjects are extremely content heavy, so both are going to take your time quite a bit.

Although with history there is a certain degree of leeway because it's primarily based on how you interpret and manipulate facts whilst biology you have a set method where the answer is either right or wrong. So there's slightly more pressure for biology in that sense.

Both a doable at a level, I am and am on set to get 2 A's in both but believe me it takes a lot of work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by RagaZ
I do both biology and history at A2,and well let me just say both subjects are extremely content heavy, so both are going to take your time quite a bit.

Although with history there is a certain degree of leeway because it's primarily based on how you interpret and manipulate facts whilst biology you have a set method where the answer is either right or wrong. So there's slightly more pressure for biology in that sense.

Both a doable at a level, I am and am on set to get 2 A's in both but believe me it takes a lot of work

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm, i do expect it to be a lot of work as with any other subject but i guess im generally getting feedback that it is doable. if you dont mind me asking, what did you get at GCSE for both subjects?
Reply 7
hmm, i do expect it to be a lot of work as with any other subject but i guess im generally getting feedback that it is doable. if you dont mind me asking, what did you get at GCSE for both subjects?

A* A* in both

Meeee

It's totally possible
I hear ocr biology is much easier because it's mostly just knowledge and memorisation and regurgitation.
I do edexcel history and I don't think I got an A, most likely a B but that's my own fault due to lack of revision.
History is not difficult, there's just a LOT to learn!!

It's possible trust me
You'll be fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Bloom77
Meeee

It's totally possible
I hear ocr biology is much easier because it's mostly just knowledge and memorisation and regurgitation.
I do edexcel history and I don't think I got an A, most likely a B but that's my own fault due to lack of revision.
History is not difficult, there's just a LOT to learn!!

It's possible trust me
You'll be fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you, i think i will definitely do it- the general feedback is good!
Reply 10
I do both and don't understand why this combination is particularly difficult? If you enjoy both and did well at GCSE it'll be fine. It's no more difficult than other facilitated subjects combinations so don't be put off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fay17
I do both and don't understand why this combination is particularly difficult? If you enjoy both and did well at GCSE it'll be fine. It's no more difficult than other facilitated subjects combinations so don't be put off

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, i didn't think it would be difficult either but after hearing of the 2 people doing badly it kind of worried me but hopefully it will be fine. thank you so much!
Reply 12
yes, i didn't think it would be difficult either but after hearing of the 2 people doing badly it kind of worried me but hopefully it will be fine. thank you so much!

Yah honestly it'll be fine do both if you'll enjoy them :smile: they are both really engaging and interesting subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do biology start revising in the summer holidays. A lot of my friends say its the hardest A Level they do and they do all the sciences. The content isn't too exciting to be honest. I do AQA and I struggled with it so much despite getting A* at GCSE. If you are very passionate about Science though and require it for uni then do it.

History is good again but you've got to enjoy it because there is a lot of content and a lot of extra reading needed. Again, only do an A Level if you're prepared to revise a lot and are passionate about the subject.
Reply 14
I do Biology, History, Chemistry and German and should get hopefully all A's and B's. The only subject I find more difficult than the others is chemistry. Although, there's not much point doing only one science and universities want at least 2.
tha ks its quite interesting thaf you bring that up- the other subjects thag om taking are english lit and ethics. i was going to do sociology but a teacher said to me that it would be a bit of a waste because unis dont give it a lot of value so i thought id take biology because its the only science that i like and i hate maths so it seemed ti be the only option- so is it worth it to take biology then?
tha ks its quite interesting thaf you bring that up- the other subjects thag om taking are english lit and ethics. i was going to do sociology but a teacher said to me that it would be a bit of a waste because unis dont give it a lot of value so i thought id take biology because its the only science that i like and i hate maths so it seemed ti be the only option- so is it worth it to take biology then?

DO NOT DO BIOLOGY JUST BECAUSE YOUR TEACHER TOLD YOU TO
I did that and ive gone from A* at GCSE to D at A Level
Only do something you are passionate about, its better to have 4 As in subjects you enjoy and would study at uni than failing a subject that you weren't that interested in
The work load for A Levels is massive!!!!! you won't be able to revise the whole subject and remember it all unless you're interested in it
Original post by ameliawilson
DO NOT DO BIOLOGY JUST BECAUSE YOUR TEACHER TOLD YOU TO
I did that and ive gone from A* at GCSE to D at A Level
Only do something you are passionate about, its better to have 4 As in subjects you enjoy and would study at uni than failing a subject that you weren't that interested in
The work load for A Levels is massive!!!!! you won't be able to revise the whole subject and remember it all unless you're interested in it

see, thats the thing. i really love history and there's no doubt about that- i will definitely take it. althlugh i really love biology i cant honestly say im passionate about it- but at the same time there are very few subjects that i am passionage about. out of all the subjects that i have left that is what i guess id be most "passionate" about and consodering i ahve to take a 4th option i guess it has to be biology
I did both at AS (and also currently do both at A2) - I'm on OCR for both. I managed to get As in both, but found that I had to do more revision for biology.
I'd say if you're passionate about both subjects go for it, it will make it easier on you when you come to revise :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for double post but I just read your post saying your teacher told you not to take sociology.
I also do sociology and would 100% say if you prefer that over biology and think you will do better in it, take that. It will look much better if you get a high grade in sociology than if you get a worse grade in biology. In my opinion it's also a lot easier to do well in sociology, as for me it didn't take anywhere near as much revision as biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending