The Student Room Group

Will being dead be good for you?

Complex question, but one I hope to explore.
Of course, we first must define what is 'good' for an individual; then of course this is a very subjective matter in itself.
Then there's the possibility of an afterlife...

Anyway, let me know your opinions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Assuming death is the absence of life then I have been there before........ 13.7 Bn years of existence have occurred before I came along. For me, they were pretty neutral. That is what I expect for the billions of years after I am around too. So for me it is incredibly important to do something with this small sliver of existence between the two normalities of my non existence.

CARPE DIEM.
Love that, never thought of it that way!
Original post by missmillie12345
Of course, we first must define what is 'good' for an individual; then of course this is a very subjective matter in itself.

No, but it won't be bad either.
I think you're right. Care to explain why you think that?
It would be good for me. :sad:
Anybody who says it would be good for them can't possibly know somebody their own age who has died.
yes cuz u die and cant eat anymore chocolate after u die
Well, if death is a deprivation of life, it surely depends on the quality of life of the individual. So for me, life is ultimately good. Therefore it is bad for me to be deprived of my life, and as such death for me is bad. At least, I think that's the case...
Obviously not. :lol:
Original post by Maid Marian
It would be good for me. :sad:

No
Ye I think quality of life immediately plummets to zero once you die lol
Reply 12
Original post by missmillie12345

No, as I do not wish to die, and non-consensual death is, in my view, an evil - the most widespread and abundant evil in the history of the universe, most probably - which should be combatted.

I do not believe in an afterlife, as you can probably tell.

Some people do try to see good in death, or indeed explain it away with myths about an afterlife, but given human nature, if people got hit on the head by a cricket bat every week, pretty soon they would invent reasons why getting hit on the head with a cricket bat was a good thing.

Most people don't want to get hit by a cricket bat, though, and I find it highly probable that most people don't really want to die either.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok, so let me rephrase that: Will being dead be bad for me?
Reply 14
YES BECAUSE I CAN'T HANDLE THIS PAIN RIGHT NOW, I JUST WANT TO STAB MYSELF RH RN.

I HATE YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

:cry2:
Reply 15
But in general, yeah I should just gtfo.
Original post by Dinaa
But in general, yeah I should just gtfo.

I say no.
Reply 17
Original post by yo radical one
I say no.

:redface:
Original post by Dinaa
:redface:

Being serious girl.
So you think that non-consensual death is evil? Do you mean things like murder or do you include death by natural causes which is still non-consensual?

Just interested :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest