The Student Room Group

Which course should I apply for university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Muttley79
You could ask to self-study D1?

Do they do FP1, 2 and 3 then? I'd do S1 and S2 and M1 and M2 then see which you prefer; will you get a choice?

Maybe, but I don't even know if I'll end up studying Computer Science; I'll have to do further reading over summer. D1's all about algorithms, if I'm correct?

In my school, normal Mathematicians must choose straight away between Mechanics and Statistics, but Further Mathematicians don't have to choose until Year 13.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Palette
Maybe, but I don't even know if I'll end up studying Computer Science; I'll have to do further reading over summer. D1's all about algorithms, if I'm correct?

In my school, normal Mathematicians must choose straight away between Mechcanics and Statistics, but Further Mathematicians don't have to choose until Year 13.

Oh, our A level maths students can do M1/S1 or D1/S1 or D1/M1 or M1/M2 or S1/S2 but we do have lots of groups ... (they could do D1/D2 but I wouldn't suggest it as stats or mechanics is usually a better choice)
Reply 42
Oh, our A level maths students can do M1/S1 or D1/S1 or D1/M1 or M1/M2 or S1/S2 but we do have lots of groups ... (they could do D1/D2 but I wouldn't suggest it as stats or mechanics is usually a better choice)

Thank you for your help!

Finally, is an EPQ worth it (my school doesn't even offer one)?
Original post by Palette
Thank you for your help!

Finally, is an EPQ worth it (my school doesn't even offer one)?

I think it depends on the courses you are looking at - it's not worth changing school just to do one.
Reply 44
I think it depends on the courses you are looking at - it's not worth changing school just to do one.

Which courses out of those four listed would you say it'd be worth doing (in the odd case my school lets me take one independently, if that's even possible)?
Original post by Palette
Which courses out of those four listed would you say it'd be worth doing (in the odd case my school lets me take one independently, if that's even possible)?

They seem to be aimed at humanities type subjects. In maths you'd be better off self-studying D1 - that's just as impressive.
Reply 46
They seem to be aimed at humanities type subjects. In maths you'd be better off self-studying D1 - that's just as impressive.

Thanks (once again)! I'll have to do some reading after my GCSE exams to check which course suits me the most.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending