The Student Room Group

Best route to medicine with poor grades?

Original post by CpnCornetto
Post grad is far more competitive than undergrad entry.
I'd advise to resit your english and physics GCSE's
apply to uni's who don't really care about GCSE's (check requirements)
And if you don't get in do a Gap.
I got 2A* 1A 6B's and a C so not amazing GCSE's like a lot of people on here do, but I still got in this year after a gap and working within the NHS.
Also nursing is competitive in it's own right.
And there's no funding for postgrads.

Hi,

I got 1A* 7As 1B and 1C, do you think I have a reasonable chance of getting into Medicine?
Original post by jamix
Hi,

I got 1A* 7As 1B and 1C, do you think I have a reasonable chance of getting into Medicine?

yes
Original post by jamix
Hi,

I got pretty similar gcses to you:
1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs.
This year i received all 4 interview invites.
From that i got 2 offers and withdrew from the other 2 pre-interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rickstahhh
I got pretty similar gcses to you:
1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs.
This year i received all 4 interview invites.
From that i got 2 offers and withdrew from the other 2 pre-interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's amazing
Are you a mature applicant?
And what did u get in ur AS year

Sorry :tongue:
Future medic here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Wow that's amazing
Are you a mature applicant?
And what did u get in ur AS year

Sorry :tongue:
Future medic here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Current year 13.
Got 4 As at AS. UMS average of all 4 is about 94%.
Got predicted 4 A*s and A* EPQ.

Unis applied to: Barts, manchester, keele, st george.
Offers from barts and manchester. Withdrawn from keele and st george.

My advice would be to apply to your strengths. I applied to unis that didnt look too heavily on gcses (except keele). Also getting a decent UKCAT opens up quite a few choices as welll.

Where are you thinking of applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current year 13.
Got 4 As at AS. UMS average of all 4 is about 94%.
Got predicted 4 A*s and A* EPQ.

Unis applied to: Barts, manchester, keele, st george.
Offers from barts and manchester. Withdrawn from keele and st george.

My advice would be to apply to your strengths. I applied to unis that didnt look too heavily on gcses (except keele). Also getting a decent UKCAT opens up quite a few choices as welll.

Where are you thinking of applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's anazing!
Congrats :biggrin:

I was actually going to be applying to keele too but didn't realise they look at GCSEs haha as I didn't do exceptionally well but reasonably well

I'm thinking of hull and York And kings
Not sure about the rest
Hoping to get 3 A's and a B :wink:
And going to be working extremely hard for the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
That's anazing!
Congrats :biggrin:

I was actually going to be applying to keele too but didn't realise they look at GCSEs haha as I didn't do exceptionally well but reasonably well

I'm thinking of hull and York And kings
Not sure about the rest
Hoping to get 3 A's and a B :wink:
And going to be working extremely hard for the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keele use either gcse + ukcat or roles and responsibility form + ukcat.
The only reason i got an interview i think is because of a decent roles and responsibility form.

Kings is very heavy on gcses. They use a slider scale of gcses and ukcat. I.e the higher your ukcat the lower gcses you need.

I attended about 12 medical school open days. It was probably the best thing i did as it actually gives you a feeling of the medical school and the area that you could potentially be staying in. You will always get a gut feeling about certain medical schools you visit. This ultimately helped me decide where to apply.

Preparing for the ukcat will be by far the most boring thing you will do in your whole medical school application ahah :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keele use either gcse + ukcat or roles and responsibility form + ukcat.
The only reason i got an interview i think is because of a decent roles and responsibility form.

Kings is very heavy on gcses. They use a slider scale of gcses and ukcat. I.e the higher your ukcat the lower gcses you need.

I attended about 12 medical school open days. It was probably the best thing i did as it actually gives you a feeling of the medical school and the area that you could potentially be staying in. You will always get a gut feeling about certain medical schools you visit. This ultimately helped me decide where to apply.

Preparing for the ukcat will be by far the most boring thing you will do in your whole medical school application ahah :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg really
I find the UKCAT so fun! :tongue:
But I'm not any good yet hahha
Thanks for the info! Seriously! It really helped! :smile:

I'll be going to a UCAS convention soon where all the universities would be there so hopefully I'll narrow my choices down after exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Hi what did you get in you =r GCSEs and do you have a good CV with work experience and extra curricular etc? because i really want to get into barts

Hey,

My GCSEs were poor compared to most candidates:
1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs

But Barts only want you to have 8 As and above. They don't compare students on GCSEs. Their assessment is primarily using UKCAT and UCAS Tariff combo.

Work experience wise it was pretty average as well:
1 week shadowing consultants at hospitals
1 week volunteering at care home
3 months volunteering on hospital ward
4 years at local charity shop

Remember it is the quality not quantity!

Extra-curricular:
Football team
Badminton
DofE
Few other things, but list is not very exhaustive

I presume you are in AS?
Where else are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Hey,

My GCSEs were poor compared to most candidates:
1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs

But Barts only want you to have 8 As and above. They don't compare students on GCSEs. Their assessment is primarily using UKCAT and UCAS Tariff combo.

Work experience wise it was pretty average as well:
1 week shadowing consultants at hospitals
1 week volunteering at care home
3 months volunteering on hospital ward
4 years at local charity shop

Remember it is the quality not quantity!

Extra-curricular:
Football team
Badminton
DofE
Few other things, but list is not very exhaustive

I presume you are in AS?
Where else are you thinking of applying? :smile:

Hi thanks for replying! wow Your application looks so well rounded! How did you apply to do 3 months volunteering at a hospital ward? I want to do something like that.

And no I'm currently doing my GCSE exams I'm expected 8A*s 3As but I think its currently likely to be probably 5A*s because I revised last minute. So today I had a bit of a break down about how I won't get into the unis i want. :frown:I really want to apply to Barts, UCL, Birmingham, etc, but they seem to be very competitive and most care about GCSEs. What did you get for UKCAT? Sorry for the questions!
Hi thanks for replying! wow Your application looks so well rounded! How did you apply to do 3 months volunteering at a hospital ward? I want to do something like that.

And no I'm currently doing my GCSE exams I'm expected 8A*s 3As but I think its currently likely to be probably 5A*s because I revised last minute. So today I had a bit of a break down about how I won't get into the unis i want. :frown:I really want to apply to Barts, UCL, Birmingham, etc, but they seem to be very competitive and most care about GCSEs. What did you get for UKCAT? Sorry for the questions!

My cities NHS trust run a programme where anyone can apply and volunteer on wards, so you do things like feed patients and run errands for them and stuff. It is quite cool and they train you beforehand so you know how to feed disabled people etc. You should try and see if your local NHS trust does the same thing

5 A* should still make you a very competitive candidate. For UCL the BMAT is very important. I know someone who got an offer from Imperial this year and he only had 2 A*s at GCSE. So it is all possible! But try and gear your application towards med schools where you are likely to get interviews. Obviously try and have one/two ambitious ones which you really want to go to. Having a good UKCAT will open many doors, my UKCAT was 680. So it wasn't great but it was decent for this year. That is what I think got me my 4 interviews.

I would advise going to open days, it really helped me. It gives you an opportunity to see whether you actually want to go to that uni. Like you get a gut feeling about certain places.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Try medicine with a foundation year courses?
I hope my UKCAT is as good as yours :frown: Do I take it next year? And wow I always thought Imperial looked heavily on GCSE grades, but I'm guessing he had a great personal statement. And thanks, I'm gonna try to find places to volunteer after my exams hopefully within the NHS like you. Good luck with your A-level results!

You would sit the UKCAT in the summer between AS and A2. Trust me it is the worst test you will do!! :frown:
Yeah, most places take many things into consideration and not just GCSEs,
Thank you! Good luck with your GCSEs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending