The Student Room Group

Ways to make money !

Are there any interesting ways to make money without applying for an actual job? If not where are some good places to work at 17? :smile: xo
Original post by Hosannahlauren
Are there any interesting ways to make money without applying for an actual job? If not where are some good places to work at 17? :smile: xo

I may not have a good answer to your question but here's some thoughts. I've tried many get-rich-quick schemes and no matter how convincing they sound or how legit they seemed they are all scams and will cost you money. Don't let desperation turn you into a victim.

I'm actually planning on emigrating to Africa. Why? It's a developing country. So? Well, the more a country is developing the more chances there are for business. If you're willing to make the shift in culture there are great opportunities.

I shared my ideas with a guy in a 3.5 hour ATM queue in Uganda. He said, "We don't need that. What we need are skills, tools and training. So the people can lift themselves out of poverty."

So, I would say, if you want to do business in Africa to get rich, don't do so at the expense of the local people there. Don't put yourself into a middle class bubble that exploits the poor people and keeps them poor.

So, I plan to open a school for the street kids as the state schools there don't accept children without an address. All the profits I make from my businesses I'll pump back into social enterprises. That way I can enjoy some of the rich life and do some good at the same time.

If I wanted to do the same in the UK it wouldn't be possible. I don't have the capital to do such a startup here. And the mountain of Health and Safety and other rules stifle new business growth and innovation. I wonder sometimes if these rules are set up by middle class administrators to prevent anyone being successful unless they are already rich.
Original post by aaronlowe
I may not have a good answer to your question but here's some thoughts. I've tried many get-rich-quick schemes and no matter how convincing they sound or how legit they seemed they are all scams and will cost you money. Don't let desperation turn you into a victim.

I'm actually planning on emigrating to Africa. Why? It's a developing country. So? Well, the more a country is developing the more chances there are for business. If you're willing to make the shift in culture there are great opportunities.

I shared my ideas with a guy in a 3.5 hour ATM queue in Uganda. He said, "We don't need that. What we need are skills, tools and training. So the people can lift themselves out of poverty."

So, I would say, if you want to do business in Africa to get rich, don't do so at the expense of the local people there. Don't put yourself into a middle class bubble that exploits the poor people and keeps them poor.

So, I plan to open a school for the street kids as the state schools there don't accept children without an address. All the profits I make from my businesses I'll pump back into social enterprises. That way I can enjoy some of the rich life and do some good at the same time.

If I wanted to do the same in the UK it wouldn't be possible. I don't have the capital to do such a startup here. And the mountain of Health and Safety and other rules stifle new business growth and innovation. I wonder sometimes if these rules are set up by middle class administrators to prevent anyone being successful unless they are already rich.

For some reason, I don't think OP would be interested in emigrating to Africa at 17.

@OP the only way I made money fast online was through matched betting but you have to be 18. Perhaps try surveys, but I don't think it's worth the time. Or you could sell stuff you have lying around in the house on eBay
Reply 3

Craigslist.
Original post by Mike_123
For some reason, I don't think OP would be interested in emigrating to Africa at 17.

@OP the only way I made money fast online was through matched betting but you have to be 18. Perhaps try surveys, but I don't think it's worth the time. Or you could sell stuff you have lying around in the house on eBay

Lol, u have a point. If we are talking about what's interesting...

Become a rentboy. No, that's a terrible suggestion :colondollar:

The ebay idea is pretty good. I made £900 a few years ago selling junk from my attic. Takes a wee bit o work though to do it well.

Do a PPI claim???

Ermm, give your body to science? There are companies that will take you on. The problem I had was my skin is too resistant so is no good for testing.
Lol, u have a point. If we are talking about what's interesting...

Become a rentboy. No, that's a terrible suggestion :colondollar:

The ebay idea is pretty good. I made £900 a few years ago selling junk from my attic. Takes a wee bit o work though to do it well.

Do a PPI claim???

Ermm, give your body to science? There are companies that will take you on. The problem I had was my skin is too resistant so is no good for testing.

Haha, that's a good point actually. Lots of companies pay you decent money for them to experiment on you (surveys or actual biological experiemtns) so that's something for OP to consider
the problem I have with internet surveys is the reams and reams of mindnumbingly pointless questions, like, Do you own a Dalmatian, and Is your favourite colour purple?

After answering that drivel for half an hour I began to question my own existence :banghead:

This' what I'm currently doing but it could work for you :tongue: . Get a loan(if you don't have sufficient capital) from someone you trust (willing to understand when times get thick) and start a business or play the stock market. For business, it doesn't need to be some one in a million idea. Just has to generate you profits :tongue: At 17 it might help to have your parents as partners with you.Whether you break off or continue doesn't matter much. For investing it might take longer since you can't time a stock. WSO and Investopedia have good beginner guides, though majority of your strategies will come from experience.

You could also do articles if you're good at them but I have 0 clue on this.
(edited 8 years ago)
the problem I have with internet surveys is the reams and reams of mindnumbingly pointless questions, like, Do you own a Dalmatian, and Is your favourite colour purple?

After answering that drivel for half an hour I began to question my own existence :banghead:

:rofl:
Original post by Imperion
:rofl:

What is it that is sticking out that thing? His hand? My mind is in the gutter :colondollar:
What is it that is sticking out that thing? His hand? My mind is in the gutter :colondollar:

I.... don't know. It's sorta similar to :facepalm2:
Original post by Imperion
I.... don't know. It's sorta similar to :facepalm2:

I get it. It's Jean-Luc Picard having one of those moments...
Donate a kidney to an organ trafficker. Few bags of sand right there.
Tutoring
Doing newspaper/leaflet rounds
surveys
Original post by Mike_123

Thank you! That's really helpful. What happens if you bet when your under 18 :colondollar: Also what are good sites to do surveys and get paid? 👀
Thank you! That's really helpful. What happens if you bet when your under 18 :colondollar: Also what are good sites to do surveys and get paid? 👀

Well there are ways round it if you have a very cooperative sibling/parent, but it's 18 for a reason! Although for matched betting I guess it's different, because you're not actually gambling and it's risk free. You're not gonna get arrested for it, but you have to be careful, as betting companies might ask for ID and if the details don't match up then they can refuse to pay out.

Oh and I strongly recommend not doing surveys. There are better ways to spend your time - join a gym or something. You should make the most of your summers before you start working and/or uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending