Which of the following represents the
configuration of the highest energy electrons
in an atom of a Group III element in the
ground state?

A 3s2 3p1
B 3s2 3p3
C 4s2 3d1
D 4s2 4p3

I thought it would be B because it has a more complete p orbitals, but that is wrong. Can someone help me and explain please?? :smile:
Original post by flyingpanda786
Which of the following represents the
configuration of the highest energy electrons
in an atom of a Group III element in the
ground state?

A 3s2 3p1
B 3s2 3p3
C 4s2 3d1
D 4s2 4p3

I thought it would be B because it has a more complete p orbitals, but that is wrong. Can someone help me and explain please?? :smile:

I think it's C.

In the third energy level, 4s2 fills before the 3d orbitals. So, you can't just restrict yourself to the choice of A and B just because you see '4' in C and D. :smile:
Original post by Magnesium
I think it's C.

In the third energy level, 4s2 fills before the 3d orbitals. So, you can't just restrict yourself to the choice of A and B just because you see '4' in C and D. :smile:

Your're explanation is really good :smile: but the marking scheme says A? :s-smilie:
Your're explanation is really good :smile: but the marking scheme says A? :s-smilie:

Oh wait, I'm sorry, didn't read the question properly either!

B doesn't represent a group 3 element, it represents a group 5 element. A is the correct answer because it represents a Group 3 element, notice the 3p1 and look on your periodic table.
Original post by Magnesium
Oh wait, I'm sorry, didn't read the question properly either!

B doesn't represent a group 3 element, it represents a group 5 element. A is the correct answer because it represents a Group 3 element, notice the 3p1 and look on your periodic table.

Ahhhhh, that makes soooo much sense now, your explanation was great and easy to understand, thanks buddy!!! :smile:
Ahhhhh, that makes soooo much sense now, your explanation was great and easy to understand, thanks buddy!!! :smile:

Any time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest