The Student Room Group

Is summer job worth?

Hey guys I was wondering if there is a point in applying for a job this summer. I finish sixth form on the 17th after my last exam and then I have results day on the 13th of August I think. Im also going on a family holiday but only for the first week in August. Is there a point in me getting a job and leaving it early for like 6 weeks maybe less? If so would I be open and let them know from the beginning? Or is there particular jobs that are maybe more suitable for what I need I would like some extra cash for uni. Thanks.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Apply, get an interview and ask what specific dates you need to attend, try not to mention going on holiday until the interview :}

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
Apply, get an interview and ask what specific dates you need to attend, try not to mention going on holiday until the interview :}

Good luck!

Selection for interviews for me in the past is a long process in itself sometimes ive waited 2 or 3 weeks to be called. Is there no type of job that is completely flexible or have opt in shifts. I want to be able to enjoy this summer too! If so do you know any sites that are good?
Original post by em211997
Selection for interviews for me in the past is a long process in itself sometimes ive waited 2 or 3 weeks to be called. Is there no type of job that is completely flexible or have opt in shifts. I want to be able to enjoy this summer too! If so do you know any sites that are good?

Have a look at events agencies, you pick when you want to work and where. Some are Silverline, Brightsparks, Lola etc they got back to me for phone interview in like 1 day and I got the interview and job the next day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Getting relevant work experience to your selective degree is invaluable. However, you may have left it too late to join a companies summer placement scheme. It still doesn't mean you can't get a job for 6 weeks though, there are plenty of job where to can ring up and start the next day.
Reply 5
Original post by stemmery
Have a look at events agencies, you pick when you want to work and where. Some are Silverline, Brightsparks, Lola etc they got back to me for phone interview in like 1 day and I got the interview and job the next day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've heard of LOLA events my cousin was on it a few years back. I actually tried it in year 11 but wasn't sucessful. Any tips and what was the work like?
Reply 6
Original post by AMG44
Getting relevant work experience to your selective degree is invaluable. However, you may have left it too late to join a companies summer placement scheme. It still doesn't mean you can't get a job for 6 weeks though, there are plenty of job where to can ring up and start the next day.

Any examples?? I need solutions rather than problems. I'm aware I've left it late I've been focusing on my exams and since I already have the conditional offers I'm not bothered about it being related to my course I just need the extra money.
Yeah I've heard of LOLA events my cousin was on it a few years back. I actually tried it in year 11 but wasn't sucessful. Any tips and what was the work like?

Not really sure on the tips, you just have to be flexible and available at least once a week and very happy/friendly/outgoing in the interviews. That's all I did, I didn't have any kind of experience or anything before I started.

The work is pretty demanding, long shifts but always fun and you'll meet the greatest people. Everyone is so friendly and the good thing is, pretty much on every shift there's at least 3-5 people who haven't ever done it before either so you're never alone if you're lost/confused etc. You get into it really quickly. Type of work is almost always hospitality, so like waitressing etc. I've been on the bar a few times at different stadiums and sports grounds, i.e. Wembley/Lords etc. Working in the boxes is great for tips, the skies the limit. I've only recently just started but absolutely love it and have met the greatest people. People I've met at work have become closer friends to me than my uni friends.

It's worth a try again, especially now cos there's loads of events happening over summer.
Reply 8
Not really sure on the tips, you just have to be flexible and available at least once a week and very happy/friendly/outgoing in the interviews. That's all I did, I didn't have any kind of experience or anything before I started.

The work is pretty demanding, long shifts but always fun and you'll meet the greatest people. Everyone is so friendly and the good thing is, pretty much on every shift there's at least 3-5 people who haven't ever done it before either so you're never alone if you're lost/confused etc. You get into it really quickly. Type of work is almost always hospitality, so like waitressing etc. I've been on the bar a few times at different stadiums and sports grounds, i.e. Wembley/Lords etc. Working in the boxes is great for tips, the skies the limit. I've only recently just started but absolutely love it and have met the greatest people. People I've met at work have become closer friends to me than my uni friends.

It's worth a try again, especially now cos there's loads of events happening over summer.

Thank you so much I'll definitely give it a shot after exams. I am quite worried about the stress though. I went for a job in children's parties and left the trial shift early as I couldn't cope with all the streaming children and their parents shouting at me, I'm worried I'll fall to pieces. And also what's a good picture to use with your profile?
Thank you so much I'll definitely give it a shot after exams. I am quite worried about the stress though. I went for a job in children's parties and left the trial shift early as I couldn't cope with all the streaming children and their parents shouting at me, I'm worried I'll fall to pieces. And also what's a good picture to use with your profile?

It's not so much stressful as it is long. For example, I worked around 70hours this week which was incredibly long, but that's what I signed up to and it was the best week of my working life so no regrets there. But if you want something just one or two days a week, an 11/12 hour shift per day isn't too bad, you'll get the hang of it.
As for screaming children, I'm sure there'll be less of that and more drunk adults, depending on where you're working but the good thing is it's different all the time so if you don't like one type of job or venue, you don't have to go back and do it again if you don't want to.

As for the picture, not sure what you mean but usually just a forward facing, unedited, light background, full-faced picture I guess. I had the option of putting a lot of different types of picture, for example, I had to put a full length picture, a passport picture and a casual facial picture too and any others I wanted to add- but honestly I don't think it makes much difference.
Reply 10
It's not so much stressful as it is long. For example, I worked around 70hours this week which was incredibly long, but that's what I signed up to and it was the best week of my working life so no regrets there. But if you want something just one or two days a week, an 11/12 hour shift per day isn't too bad, you'll get the hang of it.
As for screaming children, I'm sure there'll be less of that and more drunk adults, depending on where you're working but the good thing is it's different all the time so if you don't like one type of job or venue, you don't have to go back and do it again if you don't want to.

As for the picture, not sure what you mean but usually just a forward facing, unedited, light background, full-faced picture I guess. I had the option of putting a lot of different types of picture, for example, I had to put a full length picture, a passport picture and a casual facial picture too and any others I wanted to add- but honestly I don't think it makes much difference.

Thanks again!:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 11
Any examples?? I need solutions rather than problems. I'm aware I've left it late I've been focusing on my exams and since I already have the conditional offers I'm not bothered about it being related to my course I just need the extra money.

Job centre website?

Agencies such as GAP Personnel or HAYS ect....

What sort of questions were asked during the interview? I don't have any kind of experience either, I just applied to Lola events today so I'm just waiting for them to get back.
Original post by starryeyed009
What sort of questions were asked during the interview? I don't have any kind of experience either, I just applied to Lola events today so I'm just waiting for them to get back.

They didn't really ask me any set interview questions, it was more like a group induction than an interview tbh. I'm pretty sure everyone got the job! But Lola might do things differently. Just try to keep smiling and being bubbly because that tends to be what they look for!
They didn't really ask me any set interview questions, it was more like a group induction than an interview tbh. I'm pretty sure everyone got the job! But Lola might do things differently. Just try to keep smiling and being bubbly because that tends to be what they look for!

Oh okay, so what company was this then? Lola hasn't gotten back to me yet so I'm going to try other places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending