The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
method looks ok havnt checked the numbers though, which ones weren't you sure about?
Reply 2
The young modulus is a measure of stiffness. What you have written is correct, but u shoud write both.

If ur answer for the stress is correct, then the force is incorrect. For some reason u have done
E = (f/a)/l

The 1.8 on the bottom should be 3.06 x10^-4
Reply 3
JamesF
The young modulus is a measure of stiffness. What you have written is correct, but u shoud write both.

If ur answer for the stress is correct, then the force is incorrect. For some reason u have done
E = (f/a)/l

maybe i should have checked properly! (*feels very stupid and certain to fail her exam now!*)
Reply 4
FaerieLand
maybe i should have checked properly!

Hehe.

Btw i get 7.344N as the force for part ii
And 1.1 mm as the extension in part iii
Reply 5
JamesF

E = (f/a)/l

Yep, you're right - I don't know why I put 1.8 at the bottom. I'm always making silly mistakes like this :frown:. For part (c)(i) of the question, is it correct to say that if the Young's Modulus of the material is halved then the extension is doubled? Less stiffness = More extension?
Reply 6
JamesF
Hehe.

Btw i get 7.344N as the force for part ii
And 1.1 mm as the extension in part iii

agreed!
Reply 7
FaerieLand
agreed!

Another question solved:biggrin:
Reply 8
nofronting
Yep, you're right - I don't know why I put 1.8 at the bottom. I'm always making silly mistakes like this :frown:. For part (c)(i) of the question, is it correct to say that if the Young's Modulus of the material is halved then the extension is doubled? Less stiffness = More extension?

Yep.
Reply 9
FaerieLand
agreed!

See, u'll do fine in the exam.
JamesF
See, u'll do fine in the exam.

how come u know so much....u know everything :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :frown: :frown:
Reply 11
lgs98jonee
how come u know so much....u know everything :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :frown: :frown:

Because it's on our physics sylabus :smile:
Reply 12
Okay, here's some more questions. I reckon the first two parts are corect but i'm not so sure about part 3.

** part ii is meant to be 2.5^5 J not 2.5^-5 J.
Reply 13
JamesF
Because it's on our physics sylabus :smile:

somebody's been good!
Reply 14
nofronting
Okay, here's some more questions. I reckon the first two parts are corect but i'm not so sure about part 3.

** part ii is meant to be 2.5^5 J not 2.5^-5 J.

Only the last part is wrong. The breaks are only applied after the thinking time, so the distance is 40m.

Also, i dont know what u have done there, a better approach is to consider the energy.
All the KE must be turned into work done by the brakes, so
Work done = F * d
2.5x10^5 = 40F
F = 6250N
Reply 15
FaerieLand
somebody's been good!

Im not sure about that, I haven't done any physics revision yet :redface:
I've gotta decide which question to do in the exam too, materials or astro-physics....
Reply 16
Hm, okay thanks - i understand now. I tried to work it out using one of the equations of motion to find the deceleration of the car and then use F = ma to determine the braking force. :confused:
u = 25ms-1
v = 0ms-1
s = 40m
a = a1
Reply 17
nofronting
Hm, okay thanks - i understand now. I tried to work it out using one of the equations of motion to find the deceleration of the car and then use F = ma to determine the braking force. :confused:
u = 25ms-1
v = 0ms-1
s = 40m
a = a1

Ok, then u would use
v^2 = u^2 - 2as (which is what you did)
0 = 25^2 - 80a
625 = 80a
a = 625/80

F = ma = 625/80 * 800 = 6250N
Reply 18
JamesF
Ok, then u would use
v^2 = u^2 - 2as (which is what you did)
0 = 25^2 - 80a
625 = 80a
a = 625/80

F = ma = 625/80 * 800 = 6250N

This is why i love physics - there's usually more than one way to get an answer. Isn't the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as?
Reply 19
nofronting
This is why i love physics - there's usually more than one way to get an answer. Isn't the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as?

Yes, sorry. If you use that, then you get the acceleration as a negative and then the force as a negative, which is probably better, because it shows that the force is acting in the opposite direction to the motion.

Latest

Trending

Trending