The Student Room Group

grades BBC at AS. should my dream of medicine go down the drain?

i have 7A's/A* and 3B's at GCSE. and ive done a lot work experience;
1yr at a GP, 1 yr at a hospice, 6mnths at a nursery, 1week at a primary school, 1 week at a opticians and 1 week at a pharmacy.
i want to apply to St georges,Duram, Keele and Lancaster. :frown:
should i just give up? be honest pls
Reply 1
You haven't actually got those grades; I assume you're panicking after some tough exams. Come back in August and don't give up hope just yet.
Reply 2
lol gap year for you
Reply 3
It's certainly possible with a gap year, resits and a high UKCAT (My GCSE and AS grades are almost identical to yours. One more C at GSCE, one more A at A level)
Reply 4
Original post by riq23
lol gap year for you

lol so what do i even do during my gap year? more work ex?
Reply 5
Original post by Helenia
You haven't actually got those grades; I assume you're panicking after some tough exams. Come back in August and don't give up hope just yet.

thankyou
:smile:
hopefully
Reply 6
Original post by Another
It's certainly possible with a gap year, resits and a high UKCAT (My GCSE and AS grades are almost identical to yours. One more C at GSCE, one more A at A level)

are you an A2 student? what med schools are you applying to?
Reply 7
Original post by aysha_h

I'm actually a dental student currently, although the application process for dentistry and medicine are quite similar
Reply 8
Original post by aysha_h
1yr at a GP, 1 yr at a hospice, 6mnths at a nursery, 1week at a primary school, 1 week at a opticians and 1 week at a pharmacy.

If you can get the A2 grades (AAA) to compensate then you're fine. That might mean applying in year 13 under the knowledge that you're highly likely to need to take a gap year but that's really not an issue, huge numbers of medics have gap years.
You may need to be flexible about where you apply depending on UKCAT scores but providing you get that AAA there's no reason what so ever to give up.
how old are you? how the heck did you get 1 yr experience at the gp? doing what?
Original post by aysha_h

I know someone 2 years ago who got similar to you, I think BBB in AS, applied for dentistry, he got high UKCAT score and so did get interviews but got rejected from all the dental schools he applied to.

However, in A2 he worked harder and retook some AS levels and went from 3B's at AS to 2A* and a A at A2. Also on results day Bristol University which rejected him initially phoned him up on results day to offer him a place for dentistry. He should be starting his third year now:smile:

Hope that inspires you to do well and not give up as it relates to you as medicine and dentistry applications are very similar.
Even with less than stellar AS-level grades, has anyone considered applying to Cambridge regardless? If you feel that despite those low AS-level grades you could still somehow achieve 3-4 A*'s at A-levels? Do you think someone who does that would have a chance if on top of those grades they have a good BMAT score, reference, personal statement and a lot of work/volunteering experience?
Original post by debbieroo7994
Even with less than stellar AS-level grades, has anyone considered applying to Cambridge regardless? If you feel that despite those low AS-level grades you could still somehow achieve 3-4 A*'s at A-levels? Do you think someone who does that would have a chance if on top of those grades they have a good BMAT score, reference, personal statement and a lot of work/volunteering experience?

Unless you have high 90s average ums at as it would be a wasted application. If you applied with attained A*s then you'd stand a better shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by aysha_h

im an AS student. i want to apply to keele, duram and st georges. i havent decided on the fourth one yet.
Reply 14
Original post by blahbleeblah
how old are you? how the heck did you get 1 yr experience at the gp? doing what?

im 17. haha its because i have an auntie who works there. tbh i wasnt doing much, just ordering new stock and photocopying
Reply 15
Original post by Audiology-Med
I know someone 2 years ago who got similar to you, I think BBB in AS, applied for dentistry, he got high UKCAT score and so did get interviews but got rejected from all the dental schools he applied to.

However, in A2 he worked harder and retook some AS levels and went from 3B's at AS to 2A* and a A at A2. Also on results day Bristol University which rejected him initially phoned him up on results day to offer him a place for dentistry. He should be starting his third year now:smile:

Hope that inspires you to do well and not give up as it relates to you as medicine and dentistry applications are very similar.

wow that is inspirational, it just proves that hard work and dedication does pay off :smile: do u univeristies really care about the 4th AS level?
Original post by aysha_h
wow that is inspirational, it just proves that hard work and dedication does pay off :smile: do u univeristies really care about the 4th AS level?

I think they would look at it, it may vary between universities, however your Personal Statement, Work Experience, UKCAT Score and interview will have a higher weighing in their decision to give you an offer or not.
Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could advise on my current predicament: My great ambition has always been to study Medicine at Cambridge and I was predicted for 5 A1's this year (taking 5 Scottish Highers subjects - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English). Due to the horrible exams that we were given this year, I fear that I might only manage to get AAAAB or AAABB (with the B's being for Maths and/or Chemistry). I'm not sure if I should go on to studying Advanced Highers like Chemistry, Maths, Physics and/or Spanish with maybe an additional Higher in Higher Human Biology and maybe also either Psychology or Spanish (if I don't take it as an AH subject) and attempt to get 4 A1's or if I should go on and get a degree first (I got an unconditional offer for Anatomical Sciences at Dundee) and then apply as a graduate? I have American qualifications (no SAT results) and an IB certificate with 6's and 7's grades (but no diploma) as well which are the qualifications that Dundee used to offer me a place. I know for a fact that the rest of my application (reference, personal statement, work and volunteering experience as well as my BMAT score) will be great and more or less what they and most medical schools would be looking for in a prospective applicant. I'm not sure which way would give me a better chance of getting into Cambridge? Does anyone know of someone in a similar situation? All help and advise is welcome!
Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending