The Student Room Group

I hate my job

I've only been doing it 4 months and the "plan" is to do it for the next 40 odd years :frown:

I just don't know what to do now. If I give it up my parents will be mad, they were pissed off when I left uni early then they were really pleased when I got my new job and to let them down again would be wrong. If it wasn't for them I'd hand my notice in tomorrow ...

Thing is I can't imagine myself enjoying any job, I think the only way I'm going to be happy with myself is if I'm working for myself but then there's the problem of not knowing what to do! :rolleyes:

Argh, life sucks.

/rant over.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can i ask what your current job is or what it involves? And what do you hate about it?
Reply 2
Accountancy. It gets me stressed and it's not particularly interesting. The whole routine of working full time is getting to me too, so that is probably contributing to the "hate" of the job.
Reply 3
why firm are u working for if u dont mind me asking? Think about what you'll achieve in the end.. a good solid qualification (ACA/CA etc) to back you up and then you can always leave and do something else... the Chartered Accountancy qualification opens up quite a few doors so hang in there :smile:
Reply 4
(very) small firm.
Reply 5
if it pays well (small firm) , then you can think about the money. :smile:

You get stressed: There might be something you can do about that, how do others you work with deal with this? There are ways to reduce stress, you know some of those "Stress busting" techniques! Seriously, every job involves some level of stress and this is probably something you need to get used to.

At least you know what the problems are you can find ways to solve them.

Do you think you can find another job whilst working and then leave when you find a more suitable job, that way you won't disappoint your parents, it could be like getting promoted to another job!
Reply 6
At first the whole full-time thing was getting to me too; it was indeed a very big transition from Sixth Form. But now I must say I'm pretty much used to it but I'm just glad that I'm only doing it for a year then I'm off to university for 3 years.
Reply 7
abshirf2
if it pays well (small firm) , then you can think about the money. :smile:

You get stressed: There might be something you can do about that, how do others you work with deal with this? There are ways to reduce stress, you know some of those "Stress busting" techniques! Seriously, every job involves some level of stress and this is probably something you need to get used to.

At least you know what the problems are you can find ways to solve them.

Do you think you can find another job whilst working and then leave when you find a more suitable job, that way you won't disappoint your parents, it could be like getting promoted to another job!

To be honest, I don't care how much they pay me. Every night I dread having to get up and go work the next morning, when I'm working I spend most the day thinking of ways to get out of it and when it's over I start dreading the next day ... can't pay me anything to enjoy that (unless it's more than the partners perhaps).
Reply 8
Accountancy is generally not that interesting, the fact it's a very small firm will only make things worse, I know this since two family members run their own accountancy firms and I always dread visiting their offices cos it's just so damn boring. The people I know who enjoy it are the graduates, they're those working at the big firms who are paying them to do a qualification or something like that - have you thought about going back to uni or finding another job before quitting?
Reply 9
Wow. That really is hate. (i sympathize)

If this is the case, then i would really consider leaving. I would leave. There is no point in doing this job if you feel like that, unless you only have to bear it for a little longer (maybe to finish the ACA as one of the repliers have said). What about going back to uni? At least your parents might be happy about you going back to finish uni.

And what you said before:

"Thing is I can't imagine myself enjoying any job, I think the only way I'm going to be happy with myself is if I'm working for myself but then there's the problem of not knowing what to do!"

There definitely will be a job you will enjoy, theres no way you can not like anything!
Reply 10
Did anyone get the link in that guys sig before it got deleted?
Reply 11
abshirf2
Wow. That really is hate. (i sympathize)

If this is the case, then i would really consider leaving. I would leave. There is no point in doing this job if you feel like that, unless you only have to bear it for a little longer (maybe to finish the ACA as one of the repliers have said). What about going back to uni? At least your parents might be happy about you going back to finish uni.

And what you said before:

"Thing is I can't imagine myself enjoying any job, I think the only way I'm going to be happy with myself is if I'm working for myself but then there's the problem of not knowing what to do!"

There definitely will be a job you will enjoy, theres no way you can not like anything!

Going back to Uni wouldn't be a bad idea (would make me look like an idiot though) ... would be easy to try starting a business too but I tried doing a Comp Sci degree and it bored me to death and I thought I would enjoy that before I started! Can't see myself studying anything else really.

Such a waste of space :/
Reply 12
Computer Science, come on its not that boring - i do it! :smile:

Starting a business that definitely would be exciting but you need some money and more importantly an idea, and thats hardly ever laying around somewhere in a bank.

I didn't get the link either in that guys sig, an Internet business, isn't that market waaay saturated? Hopefully the arrival of web 2.0 will liven things up.

Also, you should never put yourself down, there are loads of idiots out there to do that for you!
Reply 13
Really can't blame you for your disinterest in Accounting.

Here's an idea: Why don't you try looking and applying for other jobs (that aren't accountancy) and that you'd find even vaguely interesting without telling your parents of your job hunt. And if all goes to plan you'd have secured yourself a new jon then BAM you tell your parents that you're switching jobs and I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Sign up with Reed or something and just keep an eye out for anything that comes up.
Reply 14
Stick with it for another few years then branch out on your own, that will get you out of the 9-5 rut role.
Reply 15
Accounting skills .. hmm, only 4 months worth, not much in the world of accountancy!
Reply 16
you havent got any accreditation then? just learning the ropes with your current firm. It's just that my partners Dad runs his own accounting firm and hes well off but he works like a donkey
Reply 17
Nah no qualification yet, summer 2008 will have AAT.
Reply 18
Nice site, you've already got google ads there Aled, are they any good, in terms of profit.
Reply 19
well i think most people who work full time feel the same! I've been working full time since september, and it is sooo horrible getting up every single day, well 5-6 days per week! i dread it too and just look forward to days off. I'm thinking of getting another job that i might enjoy more, and that pays better than £4.82!!

I'd say to you quit if you hate it, there's no point being miserable and i'm sure your parents wouldn't want you to be depressed!

Latest

Trending

Trending