The Student Room Group

Econ 3 Competition Policy Plan Help

Hi all, just looking for some help making a general plan for questions based on THE NECESSITY OF POLICIES TO ENCOURAGE COMPETITION.

Starting out with key definitions, examples of intervention types and where it is needed I think would be a good start.

What I want now is to categorize key considerations to make on whether or not competition policy is necessary/worth it.

I'm thinking,
Consideration 1: are there issues in the current market e.g. exploitation of consumers, bad PQRS (price, quality, range, service)
Consideration 2:ly how contestable is the market? will it resolve itself
Consideration 3: the opportunity cost of intervention, is it likely that failure e.g. information failure is likely to result...
Consideration 4: would it actual be better if we did intervene, for example would competition mean higher costs for firms due to lower outputs
Conclusion: depends on how well it is functioning currently, depends on how contestable the market is, depends on how good information is in the market and how likely intervention is to help, depends on economies of scale in the industry
Also note that in the long run barriers may reduce and thus not be insurmountable, for example increased global trade and the advent of the internet have greatly reduced monopoly powers globally.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. This is one of my weaker areas of Micro but if anyone needs help for anything at all in the course for AQA A2 Micro or Macro just drop me a message :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest