The Student Room Group

Importance of work experience when applying to a Masters (in Entrepreneurship)?

I'm a second year student planning to apply on November for a 2016 placement in top universities around the world for a MSc in Entrepreneurship (with Babson's MSM probably being my top choice).

Most of them state that they look for people with 0-2 years work experience, and although they prefer one letter of academic and professional recommendation, two academics are fine.

However they all ask for CVs and I am very concerned as I have had no internships or work experience so far. I have been part of various leadership roles in societies which is a plus but it is not the same, and the average work exp is something like 8 months in the classes I want.

Would you say an above-average GPA and GMAT applicant with leadership roles in extracurriculars would be severely disadvantaged due to lack of work experience/volunteering?

I'm concerned trying to cram significant work with GMAT studying and my final year (worth 60%) will end up being disastrous, and I'm not sure what to do as I have four months left before applications begin.
Reply 1
I expect the work experience requirement is because you will get more out of the course, and be able to contribute more fully if you have some experience of workplace functions and roles, what it is like to be managed, work with colleagues etc. Some of the entrepreneurship modules on my MSc involved teaching and discussion of innovative management styles and company structures, and if you have no experience of the workplace you may not be able to appreciate what is good/different about other structures. I would suggest that you get some work experience of any kind and duration, paid or unpaid. Don't worry if you don't think it's directly relevant to the course as any experience of employment will help. If this really isn't possible then then think about how you could show that you understand the workplace. Have you studied any business, economics, marketing, management modules etc. did any of your societies operate like a business? If nothing else read some good books on business processes and organisational structure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for the answer! I've applied to some jobs and I'm looking for volunteer opportunities in somewhat relevant positions. Hopefully this can pack up my CV a bit before my application, while leaving time for GMAT studying as they're part-time or one-off roles.
Reply 3
Good luck with your application 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending