The Student Room Group

which degree would give me a more stable future?

I have always been sure I wanted to go into forensics psychology, but the closer I get to applying for universities, the more I am swaying away from it. Talking to people I know in uni right now, and also talking and seeing conversations on this website probably isn't helping.

I have come down to 3 choices of what I would want to take at university an what I could see myself doing in the future. The three I have down to are:

1. Forensic Psychology
2. Biomedical Science (i would have to take a foundation year)
3. Law or Law and Politics combined

Which one do you think would give me a more stable career and future? I really am interested in all three so I wish I could decide just over which one I liked more, but the one I like slightly more than others seems to be the one I might not have the most stable future with. Law has always been at the back of my head, and my love for politics could come in on that as well. I'm just really confused and in the middle of my future career crisis and need any advice you have got.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably Law
Reply 2
Original post by AR_95
Probably Law

Just on it's own? Would doing the combined one with politics give me any more advantage?
Original post by AR_95
Probably Law

You're joking right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by holly1798
I have always been sure I wanted to go into forensics psychology, but the closer I get to applying for universities, the more I am swaying away from it. Talking to people I know in uni right now, and also talking and seeing conversations on this website probably isn't helping.

I have come down to 3 choices of what I would want to take at university an what I could see myself doing in the future. The three I have down to are:

1. Forensic Psychology

Which one do you think would give me a more stable career and future? I really am interested in all three so I wish I could decide just over which one I liked more, but the one I like slightly more than others seems to be the one I might not have the most stable future with. Law has always been at the back of my head, and my love for politics could come in on that as well. I'm just really confused and in the middle of my future career crisis and need any advice you have got.

Definitely no jobs in forensic psychology. Law is so over-subcribed - if you think you will become a solicitor think again. Biomedical science - by far the best option by a long long way

1. Forensic Psychology

OP, please don't choose a degree based on its 'security'. Just don't.

Choose one that interests you the most (you will be studying it for 3-4 years) and gives you the most exposure to different opportunities. The course you choose will be your life for a fairly significant portion of time, you wouldn't want to just choose it on a whim.

You can get into law without a law degree, so don't choose law for the sake of 'career stability' choose it because you love learning about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Definitely no jobs in forensic psychology. Law is so over-subcribed - if you think you will become a solicitor think again. Biomedical science - by far the best option by a long long way

There are the smallest amount of jobs in forensic psychology it really upsets me, I would so just go for that if I knew I would walk into the field within 6 months of finishing and get a job. What about paralegal jobs and working my way up?
do what u enjoy, none have a gauranteed job at the end of it.
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
You're joking right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea I'm guessing

It's STEM or gtfo for me

Spoiler

I don't understand, are you interested in doing a degree because you enjoy it or because of the prestige?

If the latter, don't choose that degree.
Original post by AR_95
I have no idea I'm guessing

It's STEM or gtfo for me

Spoiler

I'll be serious for u

it's STEM or gtfo :colone:
Reply 12
Original post by Princepieman
OP, please don't choose a degree based on its 'security'. Just don't.

Choose one that interests you the most (you will be studying it for 3-4 years) and gives you the most exposure to different opportunities. The course you choose will be your life for a fairly significant portion of time, you wouldn't want to just choose it on a whim.

You can get into law without a law degree, so don't choose law for the sake of 'career stability' choose it because you love learning about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't have narrowed my options down to law if I wasn;t interested in doing it. I used to want to do it when I was a kid but I really didn;t believe I had the intelligence for it. I am still just as interested in law as I am in the others. I just don;t want to be stuck with a degree that I can't use.
Reply 13
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'll be serious for u

it's STEM or gtfo :colone:

kool I'm the E in STEM anyway so it doesn't affect me

1. Forensic Psychology

I will give you my opinions, but answer me this:
What is your ideal future job?
Original post by AR_95
kool I'm the E in STEM anyway so it doesn't affect me

I'm an aspiring E, we'll be in the same boat soon :moon:
There are the smallest amount of jobs in forensic psychology it really upsets me, I would so just go for that if I knew I would walk into the field within 6 months of finishing and get a job. What about paralegal jobs and working my way up?

Yes you can certainly do that - there is no guarantee that a paralegal will get a training contract. Your face has to fit and it is often about who you know. My boyfriend is a solicitor so this is how I know and my niece has applied for hundreds of training contracts and got nowhere.

Best bet is a science degree
Reply 17
I wouldn't have narrowed my options down to law if I wasn;t interested in doing it. I used to want to do it when I was a kid but I really didn;t believe I had the intelligence for it. I am still just as interested in law as I am in the others. I just don;t want to be stuck with a degree that I can't use.

I'll break it to you: none of these lead on to a specific career.

You can use your degree to go into anything, that's why it's crucial to choose one you'd like to do the most. The career afterwards is down to you as an individual and what your career goals are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by KittyAnneR
I will give you my opinions, but answer me this:
What is your ideal future job?

I always thought something in criminal investigation....just not policing. I would prefer to be working behind the scenes or interviewing criminals, which is why I thought of law if forensic psychology would just leave me with a degree I couldn't use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest