The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Chem eng

Scroll to see replies

my dad literally forced me because my sister graduated the other day. btw I am no where near rich lool I got to terrible public school
Original post by Kai Diawara
my dad literally forced me because my sister graduated the other day. btw I am no where near rich lool I got to terrible public school

Aww lucky
It's a great experience thought as I've heard

Haha same
But you've got a good chance of getting into imperial if you apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully my gcses are good enough. I think I need to retake my Chemistry. I got an A in year 10 but I might retake it in year 12 to get A*. But im predicted overall 5A* 3A 1B and 1E(Hate computing, worst decision ever)
I am not sure what to chose for university. I equally enjoy maths, physics and chemistry. I have heard that chemistry degree prospects are terrible and I would neglect maths and physics. But I would enjoy chemistry. However, I heard that chem eng has good prospects and salary, plus I would be able to combine maths, physics and chemistry. However, I heard that there is hardly any chemistry in chem eng and engineering at university is very workload heavy. What do I do

Hi Kai,

I was in a similar position to you last year, and ended up choosing chemistry. Having done a year of it I've decided to switch courses to chemeng (luckily my uni's allowing me, but I have to restart from year one).

For me chemistry has very little maths (only phys chem has maths - and it's very dumbed down compared to what the engineers do), so if you really enjoy maths do chemeng. Also doing a hard course with great career prospects can be a real motivator - or in my case the reverse.

Hope this helps!
Original post by adam132
Hi Kai,

I was in a similar position to you last year, and ended up choosing chemistry. Having done a year of it I've decided to switch courses to chemeng (luckily my uni's allowing me, but I have to restart from year one).

For me chemistry has very little maths (only phys chem has maths - and it's very dumbed down compared to what the engineers do), so if you really enjoy maths do chemeng. Also doing a hard course with great career prospects can be a real motivator - or in my case the reverse.

Hope this helps!

Hey
Where do you study chem eng?
And what modules of mechanics should be studied for the benefit of studying chem eng.
And how much physics is there? And is it possible to understand without studying physics at a level?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Hey
Where do you study chem eng?
And what modules of mechanics should be studied for the benefit of studying chem eng.
And how much physics is there? And is it possible to understand without studying physics at a level?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't started chemeng yet, will be starting in september! I'm at Bath.
I like Bath, 3rd in uk for chem eng (well according to league tables). Did you change because chemistry has very poor prospects?
Original post by adam132
I haven't started chemeng yet, will be starting in september! I'm at Bath.

Oh wow!
That's an amazing place to study Chen eng!! :biggrin:
Seriously
Where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like Bath, 3rd in uk for chem eng (well according to league tables). Did you change because chemistry has very poor prospects?

Hey,

Yes I did, coupled with the fact that I wasn't enjoying it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Oh wow!
That's an amazing place to study Chen eng!! :biggrin:
Seriously
Where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only to bath, as it was an internal transfer. Seriously though I've been at bath for a year and it's great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply