The Student Room Group

How to study a book you hate?

Hey guys. Returning to Uni this september starting straight into 2nd year of English studies with Creative writing.

I'm stoked, thrilled and all other synonyms, but a sudden worry has befallen me. I got the first years module guides from my lecturer and have been going through their reading and work to catch up. All in all it's both interesting and enjoyable, which is great. However, Some of the reading I've missed include 3 books. Robinson Crusoe, Foe and Frankenstein.

I love Frankenstein, and I can't judge Foe until after RC (adaptation), but reading Robinson Crusoe is a tedious tasks. It's probably the time it was written (which gives me a lot to talk about) but the writing is terribly un-engaging. It's feeling like such a chore to pick up the book because I'm in no way enjoying it. I mean, I've only done 11 pages a day because I feel so distracted by the fact I'm just not liking it one bit. I can normally read 200+ pages a day while still taking notes and comparing features to other works, but with RC I have to force myself to even open it.This is leading me to consider myself a failure before I've even started.

I imagine entering my class and having all these people talking about the amazing qualities in the book, and my contribution will currently be "It's was so bad I enjoyed the paper cuts more".

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get this book studied without just skimming it and rendering the task redundant? Thanks for any advice.
By thinking about the long term benefits and costs of not doing it.
Original post by Skyy9432
Hey guys. Returning to Uni this september starting straight into 2nd year of English studies with Creative writing.

I'm stoked, thrilled and all other synonyms, but a sudden worry has befallen me. I got the first years module guides from my lecturer and have been going through their reading and work to catch up. All in all it's both interesting and enjoyable, which is great. However, Some of the reading I've missed include 3 books. Robinson Crusoe, Foe and Frankenstein.

I love Frankenstein, and I can't judge Foe until after RC (adaptation), but reading Robinson Crusoe is a tedious tasks. It's probably the time it was written (which gives me a lot to talk about) but the writing is terribly un-engaging. It's feeling like such a chore to pick up the book because I'm in no way enjoying it. I mean, I've only done 11 pages a day because I feel so distracted by the fact I'm just not liking it one bit. I can normally read 200+ pages a day while still taking notes and comparing features to other works, but with RC I have to force myself to even open it.This is leading me to consider myself a failure before I've even started.

I imagine entering my class and having all these people talking about the amazing qualities in the book, and my contribution will currently be "It's was so bad I enjoyed the paper cuts more".

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get this book studied without just skimming it and rendering the task redundant? Thanks for any advice.

Try and motivate yourself with a set number of chapters per day, and after every chapter perhaps read up online a summary or something, just so you can be sure that you've got all of the key points (but only do this after reading said chapters).

Motivation is key, so offer yourself a reward after reading a set amount.

Good luck! :smile: And I'm sure you won't be the only one who didn't enjoy the book, just try your best. We can't enjoy everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending