The Student Room Group

How to become a pilot? Any advice?

Basically, I'm an aspiring Pilot. I'm 17 years old and I'm gonna apply for Uni at the end of this year. I want to go to Oxford Aviation Academy or Buckinghamshire New University but the problem is it's like proper expensive to learn and become a Pilot. My family is not rich so I don't know how I'm gonna manage the cost of the whole training and stuff. Please give me some advice anyone!
Also, how hard is it to become a Pilot? Is there any trainee Pilots here who can give me a few tips on how to survive the course? Or is there anyone doing a Pilot training course at Uni right now who can help me!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morningstar49
Basically, I'm an aspiring Pilot. I'm 17 years old and I'm gonna apply for Uni at the end of this year. I want to go to Oxford Aviation Academy or Buckinghamshire New University but the problem is it's like proper expensive to learn and become a Pilot. My family is not rich so I don't know how I'm gonna manage the cost of the whole training and stuff. Please give me some advice anyone!
Also, how hard is it to become a Pilot? Is there any trainee Pilots here who can give me a few tips on how to survive the course? Or is there anyone doing a Pilot training course at Uni right now who can help me!

Moved to the careers forum :smile:

I looked into this years ago while I was in school.

If you can't afford to fund it yourself, your next option is to look at sponsorship, most aviation academy's (I know OAA do this) will help you with getting an airline to sponsor you for the training, and then if/when you pass you then get a job with that Airline. The downside is that if you drop out or fail the exams then you could be liable to repay that sponsorship.

What I would recommend doing first though is going in for your Private Pilots License, you can then get a taste of flying and make sure it's what you want to do before you dive in to commercial flying. With doing it this way you can still work and learn to fly on the side making it easier to fund it.

I'm working my way up for my PPL, but just as a hobby though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
hi
have u been involved with the RAF air cadet training camps etc?
they do offer scholarships
Original post by adamstrawson

If you can't afford to fund it yourself, your next option is to look at sponsorship, most aviation academy's (I know OAA do this) will help you with getting an airline to sponsor you for the training, and then if/when you pass you then get a job with that Airline. The downside is that if you drop out or fail the exams then you could be liable to repay that sponsorship.

What I would recommend doing first though is going in for your Private Pilots License, you can then get a taste of flying and make sure it's what you want to do before you dive in to commercial flying. With doing it this way you can still work and learn to fly on the side making it easier to fund it.

I'm working my way up for my PPA, but just as a hobby though.

Oh right! But when I looked into Oxford Aviation Academy's website, none of the airlines are available to do sponsorship anymore. Do you know how hard are their exam and stuff?
So to get a Private Pilot's License, I have to go to a flight school right? How much is that gonna cost? Oh right thankyou!
Wow that's really good mate! Would love to get a PPA anytime, lucky you! Is it hard though? Like the learning process? I bet you must be sooo good at Maths and Physics which I'm not!
Original post by A84
hi
have u been involved with the RAF air cadet training camps etc?
they do offer scholarships

No, I've never got told about the RAF air cadet training camps, so I don't know what it is! Really? Could you please tell me what it is?
However, I did think of joining the RAF to train as a Pilot but the thing is it's really hard to secure a place and plus I have to work there for like 12 years or something. I want to be a Commercial Pilot though!
No, I've never got told about the RAF air cadet training camps, so I don't know what it is! Really? Could you please tell me what it is?
However, I did think of joining the RAF to train as a Pilot but the thing is it's really hard to secure a place and plus I have to work there for like 12 years or something. I want to be a Commercial Pilot though!

Hi morningstar49,

There's a great FAQ thread in the property, construction, transport and logistics forum that should give you a good idea :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1927663
Reply 7

http://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/
Oh right! But when I looked into Oxford Aviation Academy's website, none of the airlines are available to do sponsorship anymore.

It might have changed since I last looked, it was 5 years or so ago. It's worth giving them a call, and see what options there are.

So to get a Private Pilot's License, I have to go to a flight school right? How much is that gonna cost? Oh right thankyou!Wow that's really good mate! Would love to get a PPA anytime, lucky you! Is it hard though? Like the learning process? I bet you must be sooo good at Maths and Physics which I'm not!

Correct, most of the small airports will have a school or two that will be able to teach you. The cost varies, but I company I was training with at Shoreham Airport was £160 for an hour lesson, and you'll have to do a minimum of 45 hours before you can take the exam.It's similar process to learning to drive a car if I'm honest, you'll have a few classroom based lessons to teach you the controls etc, and then you'll go up, they'll show you a few maneuvers which you'll try yourself too, and then they'll move you onto landing, taking off etc. In my case they had me taking off and flying myself after 3/4 lessons (with the instructor by your side of course).

Also, you don't have to pay for the whole course up front with most places, you can pay by the hour, as little or often as you like which makes it much more affordable.

Most training schools will offer a trial lesson at a reduced price too, so if you wanted to give it a quick go before signing up it's worth trying.
Original post by Schleigg
Hi morningstar49,

There's a great FAQ thread in the property, construction, transport and logistics forum that should give you a good idea :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1927663

Thank you sooo much for that thread!
It might have changed since I last looked, it was 5 years or so ago. It's worth giving them a call, and see what options there are.

Correct, most of the small airports will have a school or two that will be able to teach you. The cost varies, but I company I was training with at Shoreham Airport was £160 for an hour lesson, and you'll have to do a minimum of 45 hours before you can take the exam.It's similar process to learning to drive a car if I'm honest, you'll have a few classroom based lessons to teach you the controls etc, and then you'll go up, they'll show you a few maneuvers which you'll try yourself too, and then they'll move you onto landing, taking off etc. In my case they had me taking off and flying myself after 3/4 lessons (with the instructor by your side of course).

Also, you don't have to pay for the whole course up front with most places, you can pay by the hour, as little or often as you like which makes it much more affordable.

Most training schools will offer a trial lesson at a reduced price too, so if you wanted to give it a quick go before signing up it's worth trying.

Oh okie! £160 an hour? Wow that's expensive! You're pretty good at learning things then lol!
Oh that's cool then! I was thinking of doing a degree and then getting a job, then save up some money and then go to a flight school to learn how to fly a plane! Does that sound like a good idea?
Reply 11

Writing as an Air Cadet who has completed 12 flying hours towards my PPL through the MoDs cadet training program I would say that there are many places you can look as starting from being a hobby flyer at a local flying club, up until a full airline captain.

It also depend where you would like to end up. Personally I aspire to be a captain on the Virgin Atlantic 787-900 fleet, however the current scholarship offered places you as a first officer on an Airbus A330.

CTC wings is personally me first port of call for looking at scholarships as they have such airlines as Wizz Air, Virgin Atlantic and EasyJet.

Take you're time in looking into entry requirements too, for some things you will be turned down as you can be over qualified, CTC additionally run dedicated careers advice line that I am quality of using many times to help me know more where I am going and what the next step is.

Just look where you would like to end up mainly as there are many different aspects to flying that people do not appreciate and therefore do not realise are available to them.
(edited 8 years ago)

hey, im also 17 and aspiring to become a pilot one day! im retaking maths atm so ive not applied anywhere although last year I went to CAE and they said I was able to join with the qualifications I have as along as I passed maths this time round. I think you should deffo apply for CAE Oxford its so much better than bucks uni, I am from High Wycombe myself and bucks uni is just down the road from where I live but I still think CAE are better as of its an aviation school itself and they have more facilities. CAE allow you to take out loans but a certain amount im not exactly sure how much though but it is a lot from what ive heard. I think you should start of with the PPL course to begin with as of without that you wont be able to get into the ATPL course. As your already 17 you can apply the minimum age for the PPL is 16 so you should be fine as long as you hold a level 2 medical certificate. I suggest that's the first thing you do is to get yourself checked up on your health, height, weight, ect..... they all matter to some extent once you have that you can start with the PPL. Its all ground school based for the first year and you have to complete 14 exams. they do 7 in 6months both study and complete at CAE then the next 7 are completed in the last 6months of ground school after that comes the flying... you have your own instructor and you are given a certain amount of training hours depending on how good you hold yourself up in the plane. CAE have this awesome stimulator thing its so cool hahah I went in it and it felt so damn real its like a fake plane but everything looks real the view ect from the cockpit and they will allow you to land the plane as a practise its a lot of fun anyway after 5 months of flying you get sent to Arizona and the training continues as you move to bigger planes, you also complete a exam (flying) with a proper flying instructor and if you pass you achieve level 1 or whatever level you might be on I think there's about 5 stages to it once your done with all that you will most likely have your certificate/licensee for the PPL and then depending on the amount of flying hours you've done you can start the ATPL course which is about 3years long once that's done you essentially are a pilot! and can start working for an airline! its all so cool I love aviation so much myself and really want to do it as a career haha but good luck I hope you make it!
Oh right! But when I looked into Oxford Aviation Academy's website, none of the airlines are available to do sponsorship anymore. Do you know how hard are their exam and stuff?
So to get a Private Pilot's License, I have to go to a flight school right? How much is that gonna cost? Oh right thankyou!
Wow that's really good mate! Would love to get a PPA anytime, lucky you! Is it hard though? Like the learning process? I bet you must be sooo good at Maths and Physics which I'm not!

You need a minimum of a C in both physics and maths GCSE to be able to become a pilot (starters) and the exams do look tough ngl ive seen them at CAE when I went they had mocks displayed around the classrooms and none of it made sense hahah there's A LOT more maths involved than there is of physics, you would need to learn about the weather, routes, reading maps, calculating fuel, aptitude tests and so much more I could go on for ever hahaha, they also do verbal reasoning tests as well which aren't so bad as long as you keep practising it should be fine
Reply 14
Original post by SceneKid17
You need a minimum of a C in both physics and maths GCSE to be able to become a pilot (starters) and the exams do look tough ngl ive seen them at CAE when I went they had mocks displayed around the classrooms and none of it made sense hahah there's A LOT more maths involved than there is of physics, you would need to learn about the weather, routes, reading maps, calculating fuel, aptitude tests and so much more I could go on for ever hahaha, they also do verbal reasoning tests as well which aren't so bad as long as you keep practising it should be fine

You're forgetting that you must have a C minimum in GCSE English or be Level 5 in English Language for an international application as Air Traffic Control is spoken in English across the globe. An airline will not even touch you if you don't have this.

I have spoken to a Virgin Atlantic Captain who was turned away from scholarships as she didn't have a C, she went back to study and then was able to once they had an English GCSE.
Original post by JayPLee
You're forgetting that you must have a C minimum in GCSE English or be Level 5 in English Language for an international application as Air Traffic Control is spoken in English across the globe. An airline will not even touch you if you don't have this.

I have spoken to a Virgin Atlantic Captain who was turned away from scholarships as she didn't have a C, she went back to study and then was able to once they had an English GCSE.

yeah I forgot to mention that haha you need at least 5 GCSEs A*-C including maths English and science and 2 Alevels A*-C depending on the airline you may wanna work for
Reply 16
Original post by SceneKid17
yeah I forgot to mention that haha you need at least 5 GCSEs A*-C including maths English and science and 2 Alevels A*-C depending on the airline you may wanna work for

Only airline that want A-Levels are British Airways and they can be picky due to the size of the company.

Everywhere else recognises that there will be a large cap in pilots soon and only require GCSEs.

CTC Wings all the way with me. Better services and training. Especially when you compare the two, side by side at a flight conference.
i think i am going to become a Pilot now, thank you for this thread!!
Get realistic and look at the actual costs for this.

http://www.caeoaa.com/oxford/integrated-atpl-program/fees-and-funding/#.VW8eWEZ34sR

It's about NINETY THOUSAND POUNDS to do this. Any loan you can obtain must be guaranteed with a UK property for loan security. So, unless you've got your own house, you'd have to ask your parents to guarantee that loan against their house, for the possibility of you passing a course you might fail to then be qualified for the bottom rung on a ladder where there might be no jobs.

It's a great dream, but it's a damned expensive one to actually achieve.

I'm working my way up for my PPL, but just as a hobby though.

Original post by ProStacker
Get realistic and look at the actual costs for this.

http://www.caeoaa.com/oxford/integrated-atpl-program/fees-and-funding/#.VW8eWEZ34sR

It's about NINETY THOUSAND POUNDS to do this. Any loan you can obtain must be guaranteed with a UK property for loan security. So, unless you've got your own house, you'd have to ask your parents to guarantee that loan against their house, for the possibility of you passing a course you might fail to then be qualified for the bottom rung on a ladder where there might be no jobs.

It's a great dream, but it's a damned expensive one to actually achieve.

How hard is the private pilots license to get?

i'm going to do it! even you end up bottom of the class you can still be pilot for arms smugglers like lord of war?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending