The Student Room Group

Why is British Entertainment becoming so racist?

EDIT: I need to rush off now, but I'll come back later and reply. I may add more info too.Hear me out, because this has been slowly bothering me more and more and that Pakistani on Eurovision topped me. This is starting to affect my self esteem and my daily life.As a gay British Sri Lankan Tamil, I never come across South Indians in mainstream culture, especially: music and fashion; and there are the disproportionate number of Pakistanis in the industry (and not only do I not find them attractive but I dislike them too).People who say MIA is around: she is more of a slur against Sri Lankan Tamils as she's so chavvy, and she's into black culture while nearly everyone I know is into normal culture (rock, europop, classical, etc...). Everyone else is half-white.Why are there so few South Indians in the music and fashion industries? Adding Pakistanis (who most Indians hate) is just going to alienate South Indians.Usually I perceive myself to be more attractive than Blacks. Gay mean tend to orientate to femininity, so I think attractiveness is in the LGBT community is similar to attractiveness in women - but with less colourism.Prior to 2011 I have never come across colourism despite going to several prides, clubs and other events. Gay guys tan and I don't find getting sex hard. Most racism in the LGBT community is aimed at blacks (and maybe Tories or conservative Christians), and 1D is the first time I've actually perceived racism.Adding Pakistanis is just a slur against South IndiansI also think the recent stampede of Pakistanis represents a slur against South Indians. Artists such as One Direction give an opportunity for gay guys to be colourist and make me feel like the ugliest thing on earth, but in reality I have never come across colourism on the ground (by white guys) and I end up feeling superior to blacks. (Let's not forget he's also Pakistani!)I don't find Pakistanis attractive, nor do most Tamil people I know. I don't see the point in debuting only white-skinned South Asians in music and fashion.Don't Indians prefer white skin and North Indians?No. Firstly Sri Lanka Tamils aren't colourist [1] and prefer South Indians to North Indians. Kollywood is more popular than Bollywood, and it's safe to say that Whites and East Asians are bigger fetishes.I just came back from a month living with family in Sri Lanka, and Bollywood is not popular there and I never heard a single person talking about North Indians - only South Indians and Whites.I also know that a huge number of South Indians dislike Hindi people, and think that Bollywood is racist.Anti-black racism in South India isn't to do with colourism, dark-skinned people of other races (Asians, Arabs, Latinos) are liked too.(I know I'm not the only one, but I don't come across blacks)I need to rush off now but I'll reply and add more details later. Thanks1) "However in Sri Lanka colorism was historically absent."
Reply 1
Unformatted text hits for 9999 damage.

Quick Reply

Latest