The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AminaOfAsgard
It depends how badly people do on question 4 - it's the question where majority of the people drop the most marks I feel because they don't analyse language but start talking about sentence structure etc..

Yep only 24% of students get above 8 marks in question 4:eek::eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any tips on answering question 4?
Does anyone have any tips on answering question 4?

Sorry if these are really obvious but I'd suggest ensuring your main focus is the purpose and effect of the particular language choice. Avoid generalising anything- be specific with your identification of writing techniques!

Also with the comparison, make sure you are drawing the two sources together in some way- what is it that makes them similar/different? To conclude your paragraph it might be useful to summarise with a concluding sentence that links the two sources together.

Hope some of this helps! :smile:
Original post by anisha1999
Sorry if these are really obvious but I'd suggest ensuring your main focus is the purpose and effect of the particular language choice. Avoid generalising anything- be specific with your identification of writing techniques!

Also with the comparison, make sure you are drawing the two sources together in some way- what is it that makes them similar/different? To conclude your paragraph it might be useful to summarise with a concluding sentence that links the two sources together.

Hope some of this helps! :smile:

Thank you! Do you think it's better to compare the techniques (e.g. repetition) or compare the word/phrase choices?
i was given the impression that this paper was really hard because we got this rubbish teacher when my English teacher went on maternity leave and on past papers i was getting B/C's, but when my actual teacher came back i gave her past papers to mark and i was getting A*/A on them so hopefully i will be ok on this paper
Thank you! Do you think it's better to compare the techniques (e.g. repetition) or compare the word/phrase choices?

Personally, I find it easier to compare techniques as I find them easier to spot, but I think it is probably better to do a bit of both. From what I've found, a good model answer would be 4 paragraphs- maybe one on an interesting verb, 1 simile from each text, a paragraph on facts used, and another on the effects of emotive language (Just a guideline, obviously this may not always be the case :smile:)

I would avoid talking about repetition though as it is easy to start talking about structure in there, which would be less likely to be credited as it is a language question.
Original post by anisha1999
Personally, I find it easier to compare techniques as I find them easier to spot, but I think it is probably better to do a bit of both. From what I've found, a good model answer would be 4 paragraphs- maybe one on an interesting verb, 1 simile from each text, a paragraph on facts used, and another on the effects of emotive language (Just a guideline, obviously this may not always be the case :smile:)

I would avoid talking about repetition though as it is easy to start talking about structure in there, which would be less likely to be credited as it is a language question.

Thank you! :smile:
The exam is 60% and the controlled assessment is 40%.
How's everyone preparing for the Writing part of the exam?
Original post by Palette
How's everyone preparing for the Writing part of the exam?

Im not revising . Just watching mr bruff before I go to bed
Original post by dci.james.turner
Im not revising . Just watching mr bruff before I go to bed

Did you do the same for English Literature?
Original post by Palette
Did you do the same for English Literature?

Yep got an A
No need to stress. Trust in ability if you can write well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dci.james.turner
Yep got an A

ok.

Original post by irfan_blue
No need to stress. Trust in ability if you can write well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Problem is, I can't write well.
Original post by Palette
ok.

Problem is, I can't write well.

Then follow Mr Bruff. Simplez :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait, you guys are telling me that 90% isn't theboundary for A*

My english teacher lied to me :P

So in my mock i got 80%, was that an A* then (i was told it is a high B)
Original post by Barrosasaurus
Wait, you guys are telling me that 90% isn't theboundary for A*

My english teacher lied to me :P

So in my mock i got 80%, was that an A* then (i was told it is a high B)

Yep your english teacher is f*****ing lier
Tips for this exam would just be to stick to the timings you've been given, if you run over move on because you're better off to have an answer for each question.

With Question 1 to get into the top band you need to show a progression of something you have learnt in the text, also remember to put your evidence into your own words instead of just repeating what is in the Source as this shows you truly understand it.
Question 2 is probably the easiest, make sure you look at headline and picture and their links to the text but don't state things like 'The heading is bold to stand out.' You can't link that to the text and it can't be expanded, focus on the language used and techniques.
Question 3 again isn't hard, but you need to infer thoughts and feelings of the writer not just repeat the quote. For example if there was a sentence saying 'This made me feel scared.' DON'T say 'The writer feels scared.' Find other language to prove this.
Question 4 is the hardest question in the paper in my opinion. My main tips would be to find quite broad comparisons (these can be similarities and differences). Stuff like figurative language, facts and opinions and lexis instead of finding a simile in one source and spending forever trying to find one in the other. Also you should link these comparisons to the Genre, Audience and Purpose of each text.

I disagree with doing these questions backwards because you build up to Question 4 by doing them in order, and also if you compare Source 3 and Source 1 (which are recommended) you will already have analysed the techniques in Source 1, and so you waste less time. By doing this backwards you are actually making it more difficult for yourself, but that's just my opinion.
However, I do think its a good idea to do Questions 5 & 6 first if you have problems with time management, but remember often they use Sources which can help your arguments to Question 6 so don't ignore the Sources.

I hope this kind of helps some people struggling, and good luck for Tuesday :smile:
Original post by tara1234
Tips for this exam would just be to stick to the timings you've been given, if you run over move on because you're better off to have an answer for each question.

With Question 1 to get into the top band you need to show a progression of something you have learnt in the text, also remember to put your evidence into your own words instead of just repeating what is in the Source as this shows you truly understand it.
Question 2 is probably the easiest, make sure you look at headline and picture and their links to the text but don't state things like 'The heading is bold to stand out.' You can't link that to the text and it can't be expanded, focus on the language used and techniques.
Question 3 again isn't hard, but you need to infer thoughts and feelings of the writer not just repeat the quote. For example if there was a sentence saying 'This made me feel scared.' DON'T say 'The writer feels scared.' Find other language to prove this.
Question 4 is the hardest question in the paper in my opinion. My main tips would be to find quite broad comparisons (these can be similarities and differences). Stuff like figurative language, facts and opinions and lexis instead of finding a simile in one source and spending forever trying to find one in the other. Also you should link these comparisons to the Genre, Audience and Purpose of each text.

I disagree with doing these questions backwards because you build up to Question 4 by doing them in order, and also if you compare Source 3 and Source 1 (which are recommended) you will already have analysed the techniques in Source 1, and so you waste less time. By doing this backwards you are actually making it more difficult for yourself, but that's just my opinion.
However, I do think its a good idea to do Questions 5 & 6 first if you have problems with time management, but remember often they use Sources which can help your arguments to Question 6 so don't ignore the Sources.

I hope this kind of helps some people struggling, and good luck for Tuesday :smile:

Thnx Tara :smile: but I've got into the habit of doing it backwards as my strengths are questions 4, 5 and 6! I've done well using this method so would you recommend sticking with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by irfan_blue
Thnx Tara :smile: but I've got into the habit of doing it backwards as my strengths are questions 4, 5 and 6! I've done well using this method so would you recommend sticking with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If going backwards has worked for you before and is how you feel most comfortable I would definitely stick to it :smile: You don't want to confuse yourself or do something you're less confident with just before the real exam, as long as you stick to the timings I can't see that it would be a problem :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending