The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dci.james.turner
I will but I must warn you I am a C grade student....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. It'd take me 30 minutes to type it all up though. (It's June 2013, by the way).
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENG1H-INS-JUN13.PDF
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENG1H-QP-JUN13.PDF

Do you mind if I PM my work to you instead?
(edited 8 years ago)
Regarding satire and irony, should you maintain the humour throughout the piece or is it preferable to make short humourous comments in a generally serious piece?

Mainly because I did a past paper and dedicated the whole of question 5 to making fun of fracking.
Original post by BasicMistake
Regarding satire and irony, should you maintain the humour throughout the piece or is it preferable to make short humourous comments in a generally serious piece?

Mainly because I did a past paper and dedicated the whole of question 5 to making fun of fracking.

What did the question ask you to write about and who was the audience?
Really starting to feel worried about this exam now *crying* I done really well in mocks but I don't know if I can replicate that :frown: my class did Literature revision for a long time and I just practiced a question 6 and it wasn't good enough probably 16/17 out of 24. Helllppp how do I ease my fears...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by irfan_blue
Really starting to feel worried about this exam now *crying* I done really well in mocks but I don't know if I can replicate that :frown: my class did Literature revision for a long time and I just practiced a question 6 and it wasn't good enough probably 16/17 out of 24. Helllppp how do I ease my fears...

Posted from TSR Mobile

16/24 is still good enough to secure an a* if the grade boundaries stay around the sub 60 mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Palette
What did the question ask you to write about and who was the audience?

Write a letter to your local newspaper who asked for readers to describe their favourite place and why.

Essentially I chose Wales (randomly) and I said how the residents of our village (unspecified) will feel a lot better about oil being extracted from their gardens when they read my description of Wale's natural beauty.
Reply 66

You shouldn't add too much sattire or irony. I would add a couple of sentences with satire and irony throughout the piece just so that it gives your writing some character, yet is not entirely satirical and doesn't sway from the objective.
Original post by dci.james.turner
16/24 is still good enough to secure an a* if the grade boundaries stay around the sub 60 mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I feel as if I've lost the way I used to write...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by derpz
You shouldn't add too much sattire or irony. I would add a couple of sentences with satire and irony throughout the piece just so that it gives your writing some character, yet is not entirely satirical and doesn't sway from the objective.

So basing an article about people are watching their children suffocate from noxious gases being released from oil extraction is going a bit too far? :biggrin:
Reply 69
So basing an article about people are watching their children suffocate from noxious gases being released from oil extraction is going a bit too far? :biggrin:

I think it depends on your examiner's sense of humour:biggrin:

What? But my English teacher's idea of a good hyperbole is a bit more inappropriate than your satire/irony, so it should be fine.
I wrote for the final sentence of Q6 on the June 2013 past paper: 'So act now, before the fat acts on you' on an article which persuades young people to eat more healthily and exercise more. Is that an appropriate way to end a letter?
Reply 72
Original post by Palette
I wrote for the final sentence of Q6 on the June 2013 past paper: 'So act now, before the fat acts on you' on an article which persuades young people to eat more healthily and exercise more. Is that an appropriate way to end a letter?

It depends on the formality of the letter, but I think that is fine. I think it's quite a powerful way to end it.
Original post by derpz
It depends on the formality of the letter, but I think that is fine. I think it's quite a powerful way to end it.

The audience is young people, so I assume that implies 'informal'.
Reply 74
Original post by Palette
The audience is young people, so I assume that implies 'informal'.

Yeah, in that case, it would be quite informal.
Original post by derpz
Yeah, in that case, it would be quite informal.

How are you preparing for Section B and how many paragraphs are you writing for each question?
Reply 76
Original post by Palette
How are you preparing for Section B and how many paragraphs are you writing for each question?

For question 5 I normally aim for around 2 sides minimum. I usually just get some points in my head, jot them down and start to develop the points as I go along. Also, I put down all the possible punctuation to get a high band such as "; : ? !" so I don't forget to add that in there.

For question 6 I tend to think about a topic and see how much I could write on it. I normally write about 2 and half sides or a bit more because of how many marks are available. Again, I do the same with putting down any key words and also punctuation.

I think the best way to prepare is to practice using different sentences, paragraphs lengths and punctuations "naturally" so that isn't a problem in the exam. One of the worst things that could happen is getting stuck on what to write so I would think of a good topic before starting the questions and actually seeing how many points you could have.

Hope that helps:smile:
Original post by derpz
For question 5 I normally aim for around 2 sides minimum. I usually just get some points in my head, jot them down and start to develop the points as I go along. Also, I put down all the possible punctuation to get a high band such as "; : ? !" so I don't forget to add that in there.

For question 6 I tend to think about a topic and see how much I could write on it. I normally write about 2 and half sides or a bit more because of how many marks are available. Again, I do the same with putting down any key words and also punctuation.

I think the best way to prepare is to practice using different sentences, paragraphs lengths and punctuations "naturally" so that isn't a problem in the exam. One of the worst things that could happen is getting stuck on what to write so I would think of a good topic before starting the questions and actually seeing how many points you could have.

Hope that helps:smile:

would using an ellipsis for effect work?

and the problem is that I can't think of any original ideas in my head

Would you recommend coming up with a list of synonyms for 'good', 'bad' , 'nice' etc?

I don't like how you can't predict the actual question for Q5 and Q6. I wish they could ask us to write about something more formal e.g. the death penalty.
Reply 78
Original post by Palette
would using an ellipsis for effect work?

and the problem is that I can't think of any original ideas in my head

Would you recommend coming up with a list of synonyms for 'good', 'bad' , 'nice' etc?

I don't like how you can't predict the actual question for Q5 and Q6. I wish they could ask us to write about something more formal e.g. the death penalty.

Yeah, you should try to use as much punctuation as you can, but don't add too much and make sure it is effective, and you are not just using it for the sake of using it as that will lose you marks.

Try to use all these, or as many as possible, effectively: ; : ? ! - () ...

It's good to use synonyms so your work isn't repetitive, but you should just learn some synonyms before the exam for words which you will probably have to use such as 'good', 'bad' etc.Also, just try to think of something that isn't cliche so you can get marks for being perceptive.

It's kind of better to not know, since some people would be able to plan a really high level answer before-hand and the grade boundaries would end up really high, but it would be easier at least having an idea about what could come up.
If its a letter, would you write an address at the top?