The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

its gonna be easy :P
Reply 2
For the 'making non-fiction texts' how many marks can you be penalised for writing something that just wouldn't happen in real life (e.g. being stranded inside a spaceship between the Milky Way and Andromeda).
Reply 3
For my coursework im a high A yet in the practice assessment i got an E.
it made my overall grade C lmfao fml
Reply 4
Original post by KK.Violinist
its gonna be easy :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, this is probably one of the easiest exams of the lot in my opinion. As long as you know how to structure each answer you can't really go wrong, plus there is plenty of freedom in the last 2 questions.
Original post by BoomCha!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, this is probably one of the easiest exams of the lot in my opinion. As long as you know how to structure each answer you can't really go wrong, plus there is plenty of freedom in the last 2 questions.

first question is write about what you have learnt so that's an easy 8 marks. 2 and 3 are reasonably simple since its just identifying techniques used for effects. I find 4 somewhat difficult as it's comparing two sources, which require time and effort to switch between the two whilst writing about it. Like you said, 5 and 6 are easiest because of the freedom.

In the mocks, I had an A grade even though I ran out of time, only managing a paragraph in Q6...still got 12/24 on that question though! xD
Reply 6
Original post by KK.Violinist
first question is write about what you have learnt so that's an easy 8 marks. 2 and 3 are reasonably simple since its just identifying techniques used for effects. I find 4 somewhat difficult as it's comparing two sources, which require time and effort to switch between the two whilst writing about it. Like you said, 5 and 6 are easiest because of the freedom.

In the mocks, I had an A grade even though I ran out of time, only managing a paragraph in Q6...still got 12/24 on that question though! xD

I've only once not got an A* (it was still an A, and even then I was horribly ill during the mock.) For our December mock, I think you could've dropped almost 20 marks and still got an A*...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I am also taking this exam.
Does anybody know what percent coursework is of your language grade. An also literature ( I did s bad in the exams :frown:)
Why are the grade boundaries so loww? Only 58marks out of 80 for A* , I got 57 in my mocks and that was when I had no idea what I was doing and had the flu...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
How do you structure your paragraphs for section A? I'm struggling with this exam. December mocks, I got a U and the next mock I got a D.
Reply 10
I got 62/80 in my mock in December so I'm hoping to replicate this on the day.
I find 1,2,3 reasonably straight forward - just wish i could read the texts faster:tongue:
4 i seem to to be fine with. The concept is fine for english literature students - identity techniques, themes, compare and contrast.
I fine 5 and 6 the hardest... I actually don't like the freedom idea of these and end up lost for words or for a storyline. Can anyone give me any tips for structuring, what to include, what writing styles to use in these questions? Thanks!
Huge tip start the paper from the back it works a treat! I've done this in my mocks I've done really well. This was a tip from my teacher!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the timing restraint for the exam? Are all you lot on extra time or something?

If you finish the paper 5+ mins before the end, you really haven't done amazingly. Yeah you could get an A* if you're a really fast writer but it won't be a strong A*.

If you screw up on timings in the exam, expect a grade lower than you hoped for. Also remember how small the gaps between the grades can be.

In other words DO NOT RUSH IT but also TAKE YOUR TIME. Practice makes perfect, not matter how much of a good writer you are - it's not going to help you if you miss out a question. Again if you miss out on a question (particularly q6) you could potentially get up to 3 grades lower than wanted.
Original post by jamestg
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the timing restraint for the exam? Are all you lot on extra time or something?

If you finish the paper 5+ mins before the end, you really haven't done amazingly. Yeah you could get an A* if you're a really fast writer but it won't be a strong A*.

If you screw up on timings in the exam, expect a grade lower than you hoped for. Also remember how small the gaps between the grades can be.

In other words DO NOT RUSH IT but also TAKE YOUR TIME. Practice makes perfect, not matter how much of a good writer you are - it's not going to help you if you miss out a question. Again if you miss out on a question (particularly q6) you could potentially get up to 3 grades lower than wanted.

Exactly, start from the back. 30-35 mins on Q6 20-25 on Q5 then spend 10-15 reading and annotating the sources. Then spend 20-25 on Q4 and like 12-15 each on Q1-3 it'll work a treat!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 78 on my Mock:smile: But I lost both my marks on Q4- I don't know how to structure it...any tips? For revision the only think I did was lots of past papers to practice the timings because I found them a real issue, my writing is practially illegible anyway so writing very fast for 2h 15 is a nightmare!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheClassicsGeek
I got 78 on my Mock:smile: But I lost both my marks on Q4- I don't know how to structure it...any tips? For revision the only think I did was lots of past papers to practice the timings because I found them a real issue, my writing is practially illegible anyway so writing very fast for 2h 15 is a nightmare!

Oh no, not TWO marks!! You clearly did bad didn't you?

I get jealous of geeks like you.

You do realise it's about 62/80 for FULL UMS. Why are you getting worried?
Original post by Frogbash123
You do realise it's about 62/80 for FULL UMS. Why are you getting worried?

Do you reckon the grade boundaries are still gonna be that low this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dci.james.turner
Do you reckon the grade boundaries are still gonna be that low this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends how badly people do on question 4 - it's the question where majority of the people drop the most marks I feel because they don't analyse language but start talking about sentence structure etc..

Latest

Trending

Trending